• Tweets

• okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Freedom pass-unbelivable case

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My father in law had received his freedom pass last year and his name was misspelled on it

he called the council and after a while he received a second freedom pass with the correct name.

He has never sent back the wrong one and I have started to use it-big mistake.

In the same time he was using the freedom pass with the correct name on it.

After 5 or 6 motnhs I was caught on the british rail and I said to the ticket inspector that my father in law has lended me his freedom pass

( I was very afraid of the consequences as I never did anything so stupid).

I have to mention that I was using the freedom pass for 3 single journeys every week

and for the rest of the journeys I was using my oyster card which the the inspector have checked on his machine.

He took the freedom pass from me and my father in law informed that his freedom pass(with correct name) is not working anymore.

Now I am desperate,

I have a two year old son and I do not want to go to prison

.I have always bought a ticket for the last 13 years, now I have financial difficulties and it seems that I have made the biggest mistake of my life.

On top of everything I am also in trouble with my father in law who wants his freedom pass back.

Can someone advise me what's next?

Can my father in law get a new freedom pass?

Does he has to wait for the outcome on the sittuation or can apply for a replacement now?

I know a lot of people here will blame me and I know they are right but can someone help with some advice please?

I am so stressed about the whole situation that I have ended up in hospital .

Thank you in anticipation for your help

I'm not going to bang on about how wrong your actions have been, you know that already, but you do need to try to put a little perspective into this. If this is a first offence, you are not going to prison, so stop worrying about that

You will get a letter from the rail company asking you to confirm that you are the person reported and to explain why you didn't have a valid ticket of your own. The letter will probably warn that the company is considering prosecuting and as soon as you get it, you should write back with a sincere apology and ask if they will allow you an opportunity to settle this without court action.

I'm not going to pretend that is a foregone conclusion. It isn't because they do consider this sort of thing to be a serious breach of trust, but you need to focus on the fact that it isn't so serious as to be life-threatening.

Try not to worry too much for now and when you get that letter, post on here again and tell us what it says without giving any personal details. Be patient, sometimes it can take a few weeks before you get a letter because the offices that deal with these things are very busy.

It is likely that you father-in-laws Oyster Freedom pass has been automatically disabled because the offence has been detected and reported. Whether or not he gets another one will depend a great deal on what happens after you reply to that letter.

Yes, just to clarify my earlier response I agree with SRPO that this deserves serious consequences.

However you dress it up, using someone else's concessionary Oyster provided by DWP or local authority is stealing and stealing from the public purse.

On the face of it, this case appears to be blatant fare evasion, but before panic sets in, I suggest the OP waits for that verification letter and then replies truthfully.

Thanks for you replys.

The fact that I am going to be prosecuted but I won't go to prison is good news.

As I have mentioned ,above this is the biggest mistake in my life I have ever done and it is first and hopefully the only one .

There is only one person to blame :ME.

I deserve any punishment .

I am a very anxious person and that is the reason I have ended up in hospital for 3 days being so stressed after the incident.

It happend on 17th of May and I have not received anything from TFL since.

I feel very embarassed and confussed as I have never been in a court.

How am I going to explain that there were 2 freedom passes(when the first one was supposed to be sent back to the council).

I do not want to tell lies.

If I am going to be fined do I pay the cost of use for both passes?

Can anyone tell me what is the maximum fine I might have to pay?

How long this ordeal can last?

When everything is done on what reason can my father in law apply for a replacement?

I do understand everyone who blames me ,it is all my fault.

Thank you in anticipation for your answers to my questions.

P.S.I will inform you when I get the letter with details and hopefully I can get some more advice.

Reading most of the posts online I haven't seen anyone in this situation

(2freedom passes) this is the reason I am so worried.

Hello there.

I don't know how long TfL take to write to you, but the gurus here [i'm not one] normally quote six to eight weeks approximately. It will depend on how busy the department is.

I'm sorry this has made you ill, but the only way to relieve the pressure now is to get on with answering the letter when you get it, with help from the guys and then moving forward with the procedures.

Nor do I know about the two Freedom passes question, but you're saying you only used the first mis-spelled one, am I right? My personal logic would say that you wouldn't be liable for a pass you didn't use, but the guys may be able to advise you.

I think the only way out of this for you is to tell the truth. If you don't, you could be caught out and then it will be worse for you.

Does your father in law know why his Freedom card is cancelled please?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks for your reply HB.Yes you are right, I have used only the first pass(mis-spelled one).It was hard to explain to my in laws but I have told them the truth.They thought that by getting the second freedom pass,the first one was deactivated automatically and they forgot about it.And then I started to use it.The worry for me and for him is I do not want him to be called in court(for not sending the mis-spelled one back) as is not his fault and also the idea that he might not get another one(he paid his fares and taxes all his life) I think he deserves another one.Thank you

Hello there. As I said, I don't know the ins and outs of Freedom passes, but hopefully someone here will understand the system and explain more to you.

At least you've told your in laws, so that's not something else to dread doing.

My best, HB

I think that everyone involved in 'rail fare evasion' cases, prosecutors, potential defendants and the rest, need to keep perspective.

Over the years, I have read a lot of 'evidence', seen many photographs, listened to many 'victims' and offenders. In my experiences, fare dodging is at the bottom end of 'villainy'.

One of my heros is a man called Hartley Shawcross, I have a picture of him on the wall of my office, and one or two of his quotations on the office notice board.

Whenever I think that I have read the worst 'story' ever, I compare it with the evidence that he was obliged to read, and present. The aggrieved that he represented all paid their rail fares, the funds were appropriated, and passed through the SS to the various railways that transported them towards Poland.

If in the scale of 1 to 10, genocide is 10, bunking a train fare in England in 2011 barely flicks the meter of measurement. Ok, so there are consequences to all offending, but very slight, the convicted fare dodger will end up being fined, and as long as his name is not linked with football or his sister in law, it will not be spread across the pages of our gutter press.

You do need to face the consequences, but the 'worst' is far less painful than most events in life.

One of my heros is a man called Hartley Shawcross, I have a picture of him on the wall of my office, and one or two of his quotations on the office notice board.

During a rent tribunal case he referred to certain workers as "six black n*gg*rs"... apparently!!! :madgrin::wink:

The scary letter has arrived after 5 stressfull weeks .

I know Old-CodJA has asked to post again when I get the letter and here are the news:

" On 17/05/2011 at 15:45 an incident took place at X station whereby you were spoken to by a member of London Underground staff regarding your train and the associated fare.

The facts of this incidents are now being consdered and I must advise you that legal proceedings

may be initiated against you regarding this matter in accordance wih London Underground prosecution policy.

If you have any comments to make regarding this incident please write them on the reverse side of this letter and complete the information panel below,

returning the whole letter ,whithin 10days.

You do not have to reply to this letter but it may harm your defence if you do not mention something which you may rely on in court.

Anything that you do provide in writing may be usd in evidence.

Failure to respond to this letter may result in the matter being progressed by the London Underground Prosecutions Departament without further notification."

Questions:

1.What is the best way to reply : reverse side of the letter or mail or phone?

2.How do I explain them that I was using a second Freedom Pass without involving my father in law for not sending one back(it is all my fault not his)?

3.Can someone post here please a link for the apologetic letter sample?

4.After I reply and if they decide to start legal proceedings, how long it takes to be called in court?

I want this to finish even if they prosecute me-I cannot live with this stress anymore.

Thank you for takng time to read my post and could someone please give me some answers to the above questions?

Thanks

No.What you have read is the whole letter HB(except my personal details).

Thank you. It doesn't give you a lot to go on, I imagine they're asking for your version of the story. Now we need someone who knows more than me to give you an idea of what to say. We seem to be a bit thin on the ground tonight, please bear with us.

My best, HB

1. In my view it is always best to reply in writing., I would reply on a separate sheet of paper quoting the reference number on the letter and attach a photo copy of the letter that you received if you wish.That way, there is no doubt about what has been said and even better, make sure that you send your response by recorded delivery. This will create an evidence trail to show that you have replied.

Most prosecution offices will not discuss the detail of a case by telephone and there are good reasons. When telephoning, there is always scope for confusion or differing interpretations of what has been said. Emails can be helpful, but a personally written letter generally carries more weight in my experience.

2. In reality, you can only tell the truth if you hope to stand any chance of getting an early resolution.

As I see it, I think it is difficult not to involve your father-in-law in this. If he received a Freedom Pass with the wrong name it was up to him to return it when he applied for a replacement. It seems obvious that he did apply for a replacement, otherwise how come there are two in existence??

3. I have suggested several draft letters on various threads, but there is no guarantee that they will always work and where serious matters such as this are concerned, I can only suggest that you are wholly truthful in your reply.

You could send something along these lines, but remember it is important to tell the truth:

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your letter Reference No…………

I am writing to offer my sincere apology to the company and staff concerned for my actions in using a pass to which I was not entitled. I fully understand that I have broken the rules and am truly remorseful. I write in hope that I may be permitted an opportunity to make good all the losses due by making full payment of the fares and all of the costs incurred by the company in dealing with this matter.

This was an uncharacteristic act of stupidity on my part and I have never been in any kind of trouble before. I hope that you will see fit to allow me to maintain my good name and settle this matter without court action

Yours sincerely

Etc……………..

There is absolutely no guarantee that will have the desired effect and the company are never obliged to allow any kind of settlement in these cases, but I suggest it is the best you can do in trying. .

4. It is difficult to be specific in answering how long the process takes. It depends on how bysy both the prosecutors office and the courts are. It will be at least a month and they have up to six months from the date of the offence to put the allegation before a court.

Once they have got the summons listed and authorised, they will send it to you with a copy of the inspectors statement and any other evidence that they intend to rely on.

The summons will tell you what charge is alleged, the date, time and place of the hearing and the papers will include a form for you to enter your plea. There will also be a form MC100 which you will need to fill in stating your financial means.

Thanks Old-CodJA.My questions is: Do I give as many details as possible or try to excuse along the lines of above letter you have posted and try to be more apologetic than give to many details.If they send me summons do I have to attend hearing(I have never been in a court and feel so embarrassed) and how much is affecting the outcome if I am not attending.?Thanks again

Thanks Old-CodJA.My questions is: Do I give as many details as possible or try to excuse along the lines of above letter you have posted and try to be more apologetic than give to many details.If they send me summons do I have to attend hearing(I have never been in a court and feel so embarrassed) and how much is affecting the outcome if I am not attending.?Thanks again

I would stick to being apologetic and not add too many details that might lead a prosecutor to harden their attitude and discount any tiny thoughts they might have regarding settlement

If you intend to plead not guilty to a charge, you will ultimately have to attend court for a full trial to take place. Even if you plead guilty, sometimes a court will decide they require the defendant to attend before sentencing, though that is rarely the case with fare evasion matters.

If you intend to plead guilty as charged, you may do so by filling in the plea form and MC100 (means enquiry form) that you will receive. You can write a letter giving any mitigation that you want the court to consider and they will take that into account when coming to a decision regarding any penalty

You wont go to prison.

You have a 100% chance of being prosecuted.

For the record, I hope they throw the book at you.

I agree 100%. I wonder how long the OP would of continued to use the pass had he/she had not been caught? The scheme costs the tax payer an absolute fortune to have in place so it is good to know that fraudulant use is sometimes detected and dealt with accordingly. The original 'incorrect' pass should of been surrendered which is the pass holder's responsibility. I would imagine that the issuing authority will implicate the pass holder into the 'miss-use' scenario due to the fact that the OP is a relative. It follows therefore, that his entitlement may also be withdrawn.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

He thought that by getting the second freedom pass,the first one was deactivated automatically .He only used one pass and I was using the the other pass without telling him(he even forgot about the first one).IT IS ALL MY FAULT.I will pay whatever fine but I need to get his pass back-that is my biggest concern now.

He thought that by getting the second freedom pass,the first one was deactivated automatically .He only used one pass and I was using the the other pass without telling him(he even forgot about the first one).IT IS ALL MY FAULT.I will pay whatever fine but I need to get his pass back-that is my biggest concern now.

T & Cs will state that the pass (which is the property of the issuing authority) may be withdrawn for miss-use. Obviously this would apply to a pass being used which had been lost or stolen and in which case it would be returned to the rightfull user. However, if the user himself had 'allowed' someone else to benefit from the scheme who were not entitled, then that user would risk loosing the benefit altogether and quite rightly so. The problem you have is that being as you are a relative of the card holder, the prosecution team will possibly make the connection between you and the card holder and deduce that the car holder had ether given you the 'invalid' pass or was aware that you was using it. So it would be for you to prove otherwise. Unfortunately having worked in the public transport industry and knowing who much this scheme costs, I have very little sympothy for your dilemma.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.