Mysteriousmillie -v- LA Fitness

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3881 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OMG I am having similar problems, my gym the Warwick Branch of LA fitness is dirty and grubby, the doors on some of the cubicles are broke the showers smell of sewerage and it smells like it coming from teh shower heads - ive come out in a rash in my head and upper body and now wondering if its that place!! Nothing is clearing it up, yet I haven't been to the gym for 10 days now and its starting to clear up - surely not a coincidence???? The pool is constantly out of order. Ive complained about the showers and the cubicle doors for 14 months now!! Nothing is done. I want out of my contract now - I'd pay £100 to get out of it to be honest!! One day I had to go home and have a bath because I was convinced I smelt of sewerage as thats what the water smelt like - they say its the factory next door - no LA Fitness its your showers!!

Why don't you ask the environmental health officer to visit the premises?

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

Hi Millie and welcome to CAG

I've moved your post in your own thread which you can use from now on.

How long is your initial membership period.

If it's longer than 12 months, you may have grounds to break the contract based on the High Court ruling last month against Ashbourne Management Services Ltd. See here and follow the link to the OFT summary in post #13 - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?289465-Office-of-Fair-Trading-v-Ashbourne-Management-Services-9th.March-2011

Having said this, Ashbourne have said they may appeal the ruling about contracts over 12 months being unfair.

As a separate issue, if you find the facilities lacking in any respect, you should initially complain to the gym manager. If nothing improves, you should complain in writing to the gym mgr and copy it to Head Office. You should set out your grievances and ask for them to be rectified within 14 days.

If the facilities still fail to meet a reasonable standard of cleanliness after 14 days, write again (sending a copy to HO) saying,

Dear sir or madam,

I hereby cancel my m/ship with immediate effect on the basis that you have failed to provide a reasonable standard of hygiene and cleanliness (and anything else they've failed on, but keep it very brief) within the time specified in my letter of xxdate.

Accordingly, I have cancelled my Direct Debit and have also reported your facility to the Environmental Health Officer at my local council.

Yours faithfully,

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

I have complained to the branch manager on about 4/5 occasions, and 2 complaints to head office. I have now reported them to the environmental health department I have written to head office including the CEO and Operations Manager telling them I have reported them to the Environmental Health department asking them to terminate my contract early and detailing all the reasons. We'll see what I get back. Will read up on that case, thanks for info will keep you all informed.

The initial contract period was 18 months.

Were any of the previous complaints made in writing, either to the mgr or to HO. A copy email would be adequate evidence of your complaint.

If so, you need not wait to cancel, nor do you need to ask them to cancel the contract.

If nothing was put in writing previously, wait and see how they respond.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi - some complaints were verbal, the intial one was on the feedback card in the actual gym but yes I have evidence of a few via email and have kept those emails and their replies.

Can I really just cancel? Am very worried after reading other stories that I will get ARC on my back?

Thanks very much for reply.

Hi Millie,

ARC and others DCA's rely on this fear - face up to them, take them on and see them scuttle off, once they realise you're determined.

If you have proof of complaints and the gym failed to remedy the situation, cancel the DD now. Write to your bank and cancel the DD or do it on-line.

Write to HO to confirm that you are cancelling your m/ship without further notice because of their failures. Tell them the DD has been stopped.

Tell them you expect them to ensure that no DCA contacts you in pursuit of payments. If they do, you'll make reports to the FOS and to Trading Standards.

Thanks very much. Just had a reply from Environmental Health who said that in March 2011 they are similar complaints to mine, they did an inspection and agreed that standards were poor and suggested a number of remedies which have been taken on board. I don't think standards are better they have just decorated in an attempt to mask the problem, but at least it proves I am not the only one with this problem! LA Fitness so far are ignoring my emails!

Make sure you get this from them in writing and do not rely on anything you're told by phone.

Also, still cancel the DD from your end once the final DD is taken.

Otherwise, this looks like a good result.

:whoo:

Hi

ive got it in an email from a manager at Head office (Operations manager perhaps??) Ive got a payment coming out next week which is within my 30 days notice then i will cancel the direct debit. Lets see if ARC get in touch!!! Now to find a new gym - I hadn't expected it to be this easy!!

Thanks everyone for your help, i don't think I could've got this resolution so quickly or easy without this website much appreciated!

Email will be fine for your purposes.

Hope you get a new gym sorted soon.

Check the contract carefully before signing. :wink: