• Tweets

• How much of the documentation have you seen from when probate was obtained? And do you have a copy of the original will? I can't remember. My thought about you making the decision on your own to go with another lawyer is that three of you are meant to be beneficiaries of this will trust, aren't you? Normally you would need to act together. HB
    • Octopus allows you to pay by variable Direct Debit, so you pay only for what you use but still benefit from DD pricing. That's what I've done ever we were SOLRed over to them in July 2022.
    • Hi guys, I am about to file my defence via email as cannot log in to the claim anymore.  Can you please advise if I can paste below and if it's good to go for now, or should I add anything else in?  Thanks!  The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4.  The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.  1.  The Defendant is the recorded keeper of vehicle xxxx xxx.  2.  It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant - Parking Eye LTD.  3.  As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance.  The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner.  Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim.   4.  In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant.  5.  The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer.   6.  The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety.  It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all.
    • Getting onto the ladder: The first-time buyer conundrumView the full article
    • Ooops - one to many also s..... my draft reply should read as:  Thank you for your response Mr Schnur  I set out my position quite clearly in my letter of claim and nothing has changed. Your insurance requirement is unlawful and is contrary to section 57 of the Consumer Rights Act, and also section 72 of the same statute. I would also refer you to the outcomes in PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729).  My deadline for action - 1 May 2024 - still stands, and if P2G wish to avoid the addition of court costs and interest to my claim, you may wish to respond positively before that date.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Jordan Vs Barclays CC PPI

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here we go again. Back in 2006 this wonderful website enabled me to claim back over £1600 in unfair overdraft charges from HSBC. Following the media storm over PPI I decided again this was the place to get my information !

I've kicked things off with a initial letter using the template from the Which? website, this was sent on the 26/04/2011 and I'm yet to receive any sort of from them. The PPI insurance was taken out in September 2004 and is on an active card.

Should I expect any sort of acknowledgement from them or will they just reject my 'claim' in approx. 8 weeks ?

Thanks again for the informative website, I'll update this thread as things progress.

Jordan

04/07/2006 - Full, unconditional offer made from HSBC, accepted. £1444.xx (unfair charges)

01/06/2011 - Barclay CC PPI claim initiated

13/09/2011 - Claim rejected :|

19/10/2015 - Claim restarted !!!!

pers i'd follow and use the advise and complaint form on the FOS website.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone.

I've had a letter containing something Barclays are calling an 'FOS Questionnaire' along with notification that they would like me to complete this and return to them. The letter states that if I don't fill this out and send it back to them they will ' .. continue my investigation with the evidence they have'.

Is this standard practice for Barclays ? Should I fill this out and return it or leave them to 'investigate' with only my initial template letter ?

Thanks very much :)

04/07/2006 - Full, unconditional offer made from HSBC, accepted. £1444.xx (unfair charges)

Hello everyone.

I've had a letter containing something Barclays are calling an 'FOS Questionnaire' along with notification that they would like me to complete this and return to them. The letter states that if I don't fill this out and send it back to them they will ' .. continue my investigation with the evidence they have'.

Is this standard practice for Barclays ? Should I fill this out and return it or leave them to 'investigate' with only my initial template letter ?

Thanks very much :)

Hi Jordan

As dx said above, you should have done that questionnaire already.

If not, do one now and get it back to them.

ims

Hi Jordan

As dx said above, you should have done that questionnaire already.

If not, do one now and get it back to them.

ims

Thanks IMS, I will get that off to them today then. :)

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately I've had a rejection letter through the post this morning stating that Barclays will not pay out on the claim that I had with them regarding PPI. Pretty annoyed as I've been waiting for over 3 months for this.

Can anyone please advise what steps I can take next ?

Thank you very much,

Jordan

what did you expect a rollover

did they give a reason why they are not allowing the cancel and reclaim

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

what did you expect a rollover

did they give a reason why they are not allowing the cancel and reclaim

dx

A rollover .. If only ! It seems like some people are getting a pass ... I was hoping to be one of them !

They said I could cancel the policy I have for PPI as it is still active on the CC, there reasoning for rejection was as follows (from their letter) :

" My understanding of your complaint is that you feel you were mis-sold the PPI policy element of your Barclaycard because you were lead to believe that the application for credit would be rejected without the insurance. Also, the policy exclusions were not explained to you.

We have identified that your application for PPI was submitted online. At the point of applying for for PPI, the process required you to select the type of cover you required, in this case you selected the product.

In addition we had conducted a review of the documentation you viewed during the sale. We are satisfied that the documentation presented accurately described the scope of the policy and was sufficient to provide you with all of the information necessary to inform you of the terms and conditions of the policy.

As a result we have not been able to uphold your complaint.

I note that your PPI policy is still active on your account. If you wish to cancel this, can you please call or write in using the details at the top of this letter."

.... Then details on how they wont correspond further with me and how to contact the ombudsman etc.

Thanks very much dx100uk :)

i'd ping slick132

i'm unsure if the bc website like others already had the ppi ticked, and you had to unselect it.

this is why its important to use the fos form, and only answer what you know.

did you apply online?

if you did, then sadly you've left yourself wide open to that answer

dx

and they

I believe the application for the CC was made online - I can't remember in all honesty as it was several years ago .. I've had the card for ages :/

I'm in the process of looking at the Ombudsman website at the moment.

I'll see if I can get Slick to take a look.

Thanks for your help DX, I do appreciate it :)

Hi Jordan - looking in as asked.

My experience with BC is more biased toward the subject of reclaiming default charges, not reclaiming PPI.

Others here are better qualified to comment than I am, and I hope others will assist and comment further.

From what I've read, BC are rejecting your claim on the basis that you positively selected the cover. They also appear to suggest that you viewed, or had the ability to view, information which should have enabled you to make an informed decision.

I do not know if their views are adequate to reject the claim.

What I do know, however, is that BC reject default charges claims initially, particularly if you claim compound interest or reclaim charges older than 6 years. If the claimant persists and actively pursues the claim taking court action, BC back down and pay up in full in 99% of cases.

You should also consider whether PPI was appropriate for your circumstances, with regards to your employment status, the hours you worked, your health, age, etc. Is it possible you would not have been eligible because of any of these factors.

You really need opinion from those who are more experienced with PPI.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi

Slick has identified some of the considerations regarding health and employment status.

There are of course a whole host more and I've no doubt you will spot them when you look at the fos website. With regard to the on-line sales process, even if the box was not pre-ticked, there is the question as to whether the full cost of the product was clearly advised, was the information on the site clear and not misleading and did it appear to an average consumer that their policy was required in order to get the loan/card.

The whole Judicial Review came about as a result of the FSA tightening and re-writing the rule book on the sale of ppi and the real beauty for the consumer was that they made these rules retrospective so in effect the new rule book applied to past sales of ppi. That's why the banks kicked off about it 'cos they knew it was going to cost them.

BC turning round to you and saying well you ticked the box and they reviewed what you read on the site a the time is not excuse enough. I would spend some time researching the mis-sale criteria since there are probably a few of them that apply to you when you really think about it !

You then have a couple of options. Although they have said this is their final decision you can ask them to look again at it. Alternatively you can pass it to fos and let them deal with it but when you do submit your claim to fos, make sure you enclose with your letter the reasons why you think you were mis-sold.

The other choice is of course to sue which is quite feasible but you will have to do a lot of work and be prepared to present your case in a court room in frnt of a Judge.

Regards

ims

Thank you Slick and Ims, I really appreciate the time you have both taken to respond to my thread.

I believe the case is worth pursuing via the FOS at the very least, as you say - I am quite sure as a default at the time the option for PPI was checked, I am not a financial or legal 'eagle' and the fact that the terms were available wasn't an indication of whether I understood the policy completely or not. I will do a little more research in to the exclusions and see if any of them stand me on slightly better footing with regards to making my claim. I will admit I sent a rather hasty letter to the bank when I originally put my claim in - perhaps it will lead to the eventual failure of my claim, but I feel at the moment I don't have much to loose by trying at least.

This is a fantastic website and I am truly grateful for the advice I have received here, both with regards to PPI and the unfair overdraft charges I was able to claim back in 2006.

Thank you all, I will update this thread when things are moving again.

Jordan

E2a - One thing I have noticed, on my online account the amount of PPI paid monthly isn't readily available for me to view - I can't see it as a 'new spend' on the card, and am only able to view the amount taken monthly by really drilling in to the activity on my account - I feel this is very underhanded. Typical Barclays.

Edited by Jordan

I had pretty much the same letter today. Except mine was a postal application. They are clearly generic rejection letters.

My letter read:

We have identified that your application for PPI wa submitted by post. At the point of applying for PPI, the process required you to select the specific type of cover for you required. In this case, you positively selected the product.

In addition, we have conducted a review of the documentation you viewed during the sale. We are satisfied that the documentation presented accurately described the scope of the policy, and was sufficient to provide you with all of the information necessary to inform you of the terms and conditions of the policy.

I'm not sure if the FOS woud go against there judgement.

Blue Danny - Will you pursue any further avenues (eg. FOS) or will you leave things as they are ?

I'm more of the 'nothing ventured' mindset and will be reviewing my options and will at the very least try the FOC route, if this fails I feel another small claim coming on.

Hi

As you say Jordan, nothing ventured etc.

At the very least let fos have a look at it...that way it costs you nothing but it does cost the bank.

One thing is for sure, if you don't let fos have a go you certainly won't get anything unless you sue.

Regards

ims

• 4 weeks later...

Same for me from barclaycard. Refused ppi claim because i had apparantly ticked the box on the postal application (cant remember doing that) but can remember that i had "homemaker" in the employment box as ive been on Incapacity Benefit since 1991. Got their letter this morning so ive made my complaint to FOS and posted it already.

Same for me from barclaycard. Refused ppi claim because i had apparantly ticked the box on the postal application (cant remember doing that) but can remember that i had "homemaker" in the employment box as ive been on Incapacity Benefit since 1991. Got their letter this morning so ive made my complaint to FOS and posted it already.

then reply and say you did not tick it.

get them to prove it was you

they will always refuse a claim first time

have you the doc concerned?

dx

and they

Hi, all stuff is with my lawyer at the moment (cabot suing me) but i remember exactly whats on it and how much i paid them. I put in my complaint to FOS i didnt tick the box etc. So will just have to wait and see. Got charges back from them and compensation for double entry on my Credit Files so fingers crossed.

• 4 years later...

Well guys, I've decided to give this another try after reading how many complaints are being upheld after initial rejection from Barclays.

I have the same claim in, I have contacted Barclaycard and have filled out their online form for PPI claims. Waiting the standard time for my case to be acknowledged and rejected by Barclaycard so I can take the complaint to the ombudsman. The particulars of the case are the same, an online application and previous rejection was that I should have 'read the small-print'. I believe that (in 2011 at least) all online Barclaycard applications for PPI were treated in the same way, from what I can remember they took some 9 weeks to reject me previously so I am hoping things have sped up a little now.

Thanks and good luck everyone.

Hi Jordan,

Let us know how you get on with them with this new PPI attempt.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)