Is this 'False Promise' in law?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3669 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A very good friend's daughter has been devasted by her partner's actions which have left her on considerable debt through no fault of her own. (All original names have been changed for the purpose of this discussion).

Pippa and Steve have been a couple for almost 2 years and have a daughter together. They had been allocated a property by the local authority which was under 'repairs' but they were paying rent/council tax for 3-4 months whilst the work was being carried out. In the meantime, Steve and Pippa have run up Pippa's credit card bill by almost £7k for carpets, furniture, baby stuff etc and at 3am on the day they were due to move into the property Steve text her to say he had someone else and that he no longer wanted her, everything was off. Steve's mother has explained Steve does not have anyone else but he just couldn't go through with it, he wouldn't cope!!!

Naturally, Pippa is in bits and is currently staying with her mother because she wouldn't be able to afford the house on her own.

Could this be seen as false promise by Steve and could he be held responsible for half the debt if she took him to scc?

Would appreciate suggestions?

Shelley

Santander PPI X 2 **WON** claims on behalf of son (Oct 2010/ Mar 2011)

Citicard O/H (PPI) - **WON** Compound Interest Dec 2011

Citicard O/H (Charges) Bailiffs sent in August 2012

Barclaycard - **WON** Compound Interest Oct 2011

Monument - account information being sought for OH

Citicard - self - N1 submitted August 2012

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Barclaycard - relation - Failed SAR sent 29/09/11

Halifax SAR sent 18/08/2011 for relation

LTSB - SAR sent 09/08/2011 for friend

Good evening Shelly

Could make for a case of promissory estoppel.

What did Steve say to Pippa in respect of the credit that was used up on her credit card in order to make those said purchases for their new home and child?

Kind regards

The Mould

Hello TM,

Thank you for your response to my post.

I think I know where your going with this and I will have to ask the question and get back to you. My own personal opinion on this (knowing Pippa and her family) is that Pippa would be 'home maker' whilst Steve would be working to provide for the duration of the infants first years, but I will clarify.

'If' this was the case, what might this mean?

Regards

Shelley

Barclaycard - self - **WON** damages for non disclosure/information now rec'd. Aug 2012

Hello TM,

Thank you for your response to my post.

I think I know where your going with this and I will have to ask the question and get back to you. My own personal opinion on this (knowing Pippa and her family) is that Pippa would be 'home maker' whilst Steve would be working to provide for the duration of the infants first years, but I will clarify.

'If' this was the case, what might this mean?

Regards

Shelley

Good morning Shelly

I think it would be best for Pippa to establish her allegations first and then take it from that point.

Kind regards

The Mould

As I suspected, I have spoken with Pippa's mother and coincidently, Pippa phoned. They had discussed that Steve would be the 'bread winner' until at least their daughter started school (5 years) and Pippa would be the home maker. (Pippa has a daughter from a previous relationship). It was also mentioned that Steve had used the c/c for game stations/ clothes etc which he still has.

It has also been briefly discussed of an alternative route to go down by applying for DRO in order to alleviate the stress for Pippa and her family.

Shelley

As I suspected, I have spoken with Pippa's mother and coincidently, Pippa phoned. They had discussed that Steve would be the 'bread winner' until at least their daughter started school (5 years) and Pippa would be the home maker. (Pippa has a daughter from a previous relationship). It was also mentioned that Steve had used the c/c for game stations/ clothes etc which he still has.

It has also been briefly discussed of an alternative route to go down by applying for DRO in order to alleviate the stress for Pippa and her family.

Shelley

Good afternoon Shelly

The problem is, relationships do breakdown, if Pippa intends to bring an action against Steve in respect of the credit bill that has been run up on the credit card, then she would need to show that the items purchased with the said card were only done so because Steve had given his promise that if Pippa used her credit card to purchase those particular items, then Steve would cover those costs (or 50% thereof), Pippa would need to show that she only purchased items or certain items in reliance upon what Steve had promised.

Surely Steve will provide for his daughter though? Perhaps Pippa could send Steve a short letter requesting he pay 50% of the credit card bill and certainly if Steve has in his possession items purchased with said card, then he should pay Pippa the costs of such, however, Steve may say that Pippa brought said items as a gift!

I hope that will help somewhat.

Kind regards

The Mould

Hi TM,

I totally understand what you are explaining here but how on earth would you be able to 'prove' that Steve promised to pay? Surely it would be his word against Pippa's? How do these types of claims run their course and how many are won?

Sounds like alot of stress and Pippa has been liaising with CAB in respect to DRO procedures/costs because she is under the distinct impression that Steve will renegade his responsibilities over child support so this looks to be the best course of action, I think.

Thank you for your advice on this matter.

Regards

Shelley