Any help appreiciated please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4703 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I Have just found out that i am being made redundant and would appreciate any advice anyone can give with reference to helping me with how to respond to the following letter that reads as follows

Reference Porposed removal of Receptionist

Following the recent downturn in the economy and the current difficult trading conditions we have been forced to undertake a review of our business.

The conclusion of the review is that we are in a position where we need to cut costs and as a result the company can no longer justify the position.

This letter is to consult with you, as the post holder, on the proposal to delete this position from the staffing establishment of the company.

You are invited to offer any constructive comments on this proposal. Your comments should be addressed to me in writing and delivered no later than the 10th June. I am available at any time to discuss this matter with you further.

After that time i will call a meeting on Friday 17th June to consider any representation you wish to make. At this meeting you have the right to be accompanied by a work colleague or an appropiately trained Trade Union official. I await your comments on this initial proposal before develping any strategies to address the consequences.

I have been there since 2007 but have been off for the last month with depression following some family issues. I know very little about redundancy does anyone know what i may be entitled too??????????????

Basically i think its just a polite way of sacking me. Also would it be legal for them to employ someone else in the same role?

Thanks in advance for any help anything would be appreciated

Janb

Hello there, sorry to hear about your problems.

You might want to read up on redundancy on the directgov or ACAS websites. Others here are experts on this sort of thing, but to answer a couple of your questions, I don't think they can replace you with someone in exactly the same job. It's the position that's made redundant, not the person. Are they planning to manage without a receptionist in future?

As to what you might be entitled to, there is a statutory minimum they must pay you of £x for each year you've worked there. £x varies according to your age and should be on the websites I mentioned. I can never remember the figure and if I go and look, I know my browser will lose this post if I leave it. It's up to them if they decide to pay you more than the statutory minimum. Up to £30,000, I believe redundancy pay is still tax-free, hopefully someone will confirm that.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum