• Tweets

• Thank-you dx for your feedback. That is the reason I posted my opinion, because I am trying to learn more and this is one of the ways to learn, by posting my opinions and if I am incorrect then being advised of the reasons I am incorrect. I am not sure if you have educated me on the points in my post that would be incorrect. However, you are correct on one point, I shall refrain from posting on any other thread other than my own going forward and if you think my post here is unhelpful, misleading or in any other way inappropriate, then please do feel obliged to delete it but educate me on the reason why. To help my learning process, it would be helpful to know what I got wrong other than it goes against established advice considering the outcome of a recent court case that seemed to suggest it was dismissed due to an appeal not being made at the first stage. Thank-you.   EDIT:  Just to be clear, I am not intending to go against established advice by suggesting that appeals should ALWAYS be made, just my thoughts on the particular case of paying for parking and entering an incorrect VRN.  
    • you can have your humble opinion.... You are very new to all this private parking speculative invoice game you have very quickly taken it upon yourself to be all over this forum, now to the extent of moving away from your initial thread with your own issue that you knew little about handling to littering the forum and posting on numerous established and existing threads, where advice has already been given or a conclusion has already resulted, with your theories conclusions and observations which of course are very welcomed. BUT... in some instances, like this one...you dont quite match the advice that the forum and it's members have gathered over a very long consensual period given in a tried and trusted consistent mannered thoughtful approach. one could even call it forum hi-jacking and that is becoming somewhat worrying . dx
    • Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕 The more I read this forum and the more I engage with it's incredible users, the more I learn and the more my knowledge expands. If my case gets to court, the Judge will dismiss it after I utter my first sentence, and you DCBL and Highview don't even know why .... OMG! .... So excited to get to court!
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Follow on from PPI claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4704 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

I have rung Barclays to request they refund me for mis sold PPI on a Business Loan taken out in 2005.

At the time I was told by my 'Business Manager' that if I took it out I would have a better chance of success with the application, and also was as unaware as myself that as a self employed person the PPI didn't cover me anyway!!!

Had not done anything about it until the week before last as I had given up on getting this back, until the recent ruling. :)

My main question is, along with what is owed and the interest (presumably compounded over 6 years), can I realistically claim for all the bank charges I have received in that time for going into the red.

I have had no overdraft on the account for years, but my account has consistently slipped over very slightly most months.

I was told I could have an overdraft once my account was clear for 3 months. I've never had a clear 3 month window.

My premise is that I believe if (for example) I am owed £300 PPI, wherever my account has dipped over by up to that amount, I should be refunded, as if I had had the £300 in the first place I would not have gone over by that amount - based on the confirmed record of the inflow and outflow of the account over that time.

Is this a fair assumption and does anyone know how the financial ombudsman would see this.

Added to this I have been struggling for a few years now to keep my head above water. I am technically in hardship, scraping enough every month to live and pay my bills. Only making nominal payments on loans I have out (don't ask :( it's way more than most owe - but taken out to try to survive, not frivolously - honestly). My credit rating is on the floor.

From a rough check Barclays have charged me (just in the last two years on my business account) around £2000 in charges, plus about £700 on my other accounts for insufficient funds and continuous use of my reserve facility (helping keep me in it!).

My one concern in chasing this is for Barclays to turn around and close my accounts and request all the overdrafts and reserve accounts within a few weeks. I wouldn't be able to do this a) because I don't have the money and b) no one will let me open a new current account which has the ability to have direct debits set up because my credit rating is so poor.

I have no intention of going bankrupt. I just want to work my way out of this and hold my head up.

I am not feeling sorry for myself. I'm still here surviving (just).

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

By the way, Barclays told me they have logged the complaint and would ring me within 5 days. I think were at about 10 days now!

Thanks for your time in reading this. Good luck to all.

Hi there

On a loan you will be able to claim back the ppi including the interest they charged on that loan plus statutory simple interest at 8% running from the date of each payment to the date of your claim.

First, have a look at the PDFs on the fos website and download their questionaire.

Do you have your loan agreement?

Do you have statements showing the dates you made the loan payments?

If you are worried about the bank playing silly beggars, you could open a parachute account for your direct debits etc. I understand that Halifax do a good one where it doesn't matter about credit ratings etc etc.

ims

Edited by ims21

Thanks ims21, the parachute account mention is very interesting, didn't know about that. Thanks.

Do you think I stand any chance on the bank charges too? I think it's a fair representation. I believe if I've gone over by more than the amount owed, that they still stand as charges (although still unfair as we all believe).

Thanks ims21, the parachute account mention is very interesting, didn't know about that. Thanks.

Do you think I stand any chance on the bank charges too? I think it's a fair representation. I believe if I've gone over by more than the amount owed, that they still stand as charges (although still unfair as we all believe).

Hi

I wouldn't bank on the charges (pardon the pun). Having said that, some here suggest that they can be tested for being grossly unfair while others suggest that due to the court rulings, bank charges are now a non-starter. Have a read around the site about this aspect.

Bear in mind, you will be getting some restitution via the 8% statutory interest.

Regards

ims

True enough my friend. Thank you for taking the time. Just read your fos link, very interesting and ultimately sad.

kind regards jmc5571

Ultimately sad? Why?

ims

barclays have been known to refund bank charges out of the blue if you ask them directly!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx, have tried that one. Stonewalled by Business Manager for weeks, eventually huge row on the phone, where I mentioned fractional reserve banking, unreasonable behaviour, lack of understanding or help in trying to be a positive account holder, help always offered when not needed in the form of more debt, and the clincher in my not getting what I hoped for, asking if she could fully appreciate how hard it is to swallow that banks are bailed out by tax payers (Barclays are no exception as they were given fictional money by the FED) and bank bosses getting multi million pound bonuses whilst I'm trying to get a good will gesture on a couple of thousand pounds of unlawful charges!!!

Although I was angry I didn't at any point say anything they could put the phone down on. I was then told that 'we're not getting anywhere here are we!', so I was passed to her manager (a few weeks later ... because Barclays really take this stuff seriously!!!), who proceeded to stonewall me again, not listen to my side of things, and effectively told me I couldn't run my account properly. Was told I should see if another bank or relative could give me a credit line!!!

Not helpful or understanding in anyway of my predicament. I don't want more debt, just clear what I've accrued!

If they had given me a £300 overdraft two years ago I would have incurred approx £60 in charges in all that time, not £2000.

I think I'm probably on the 'unofficial' Barclays black list!

you might want to pm slick132

very good on barclay matters

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi JMC - responding to your PM. :-)

I think you stand little or no chance of getting back any more than the PPI and associated interest in restitution.

I had the same advice from my business mgr years back - "Sure, you can have the loan but, to get it approved without problems, you'll have to agree to the PPI."

Getting any bank charges back, whether on a personal or a business a/c, is not going to happen. The only exception would be reclaiming bank charges incurred during a period of Financial Hardship.

You can still claim back any penalty charges on credit card or loan a/c's.

Check the wording on the business a/c loan. You won't necessarily get PPI back because you were self employed, as their policies took a/c of your self employed status. But you should certainly get PPI back if you were told to take it as a way of having the loan approved.

Also, avoid talking to the bank about this as it'll get you nowhere. Keep everything in writing.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks slick132. I need to find out what constitutes hardship. As I think I could be under this banner. I am having to deal with loans through the CCCS, only able to make nominal payments at this stage as not bringing in enough money to cover my bills and living expenses and loan payments.

But first things first, got a letter through from Barclays today, it has a Questionnaire for the Financial Ombudsman to fill out.

regards jmc5571

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi jmc

Just another small thought for the future.

If the bank decide to play hardball with your ppi claim and the route you decide to take is court rather than fos, certain hardship criteria means that you can get remission of the court fees for the issue of proceedings.

ims