Virgin Media disconnection fee and no service.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4706 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When we moved house we got a non cable package.

We soon learned that Virgin Media had the wrong address both me and the BT contacted them to have this changed. It took several months and loads of phone calls. For them to change it.

They only managed to get it right when I cancelled their service.

In the mean time our internet was terrible. It was slower than dial up and would disconnect several times a day. We tried contacted them but we always got the same rubbish answers that the fault was most likely in the house and they don't cover it. They offered speed tests but told us that everything over 0.45 MB was acceptable even though our line can handle 3MB and the subscription was up to 20MB.

As you can imagine we finally got fed up and cancelled the account including the direct debit.

Ever since we have sky and it turned out the problem was never in the house but on their end.

They send me a letter with disconnection fees and a request to pay. I contacted them that I was very confused since they told us we already payed for the last month when we first switched and that I disputed the disconnection fee since they were not providing us the correct service. I wanted tio have copies of all the bills that were send to the wrong address.

I then got a phonecall from moorcroft. I told the man on the phone I was not willing to pay disconnection fees since they were not offering us the service we were paying for. He assured me it was a standard letter and in reality it was just the last month without a disconnection fee. So I told him great and asked if he could send me the bills so I could double check and then pay.

But he refused saying that Virgin did change my address and that was the end of the matter. All the missed bills were of no consequence and lost forever. If I didn't pay he would send a bailiff.

So I told him I refused to pay in that case.

Is there anything we can do? If the amount is correct I have no problem paying but don't we have the right to check. He kept insisting that his verbal word was enough but after months of hearing different answers I'm not willing to do anything over the phone.

Thanks for any advice.

From experience, Moorcroft is a mis-spelling it's supposed to be Moron I'm 99% sure (for legal reasons I added the 1% doubt :p). the Office of fair trading has set out guidelines for debt collection, and a major part of this is that you need to be sure you owe the bill. Talking to them on the phone is a BIG mistake unless you record your calls.

Now, to move forward. Can I ask have you checked your credit file? The only real measures Virgin can take that effect you is that they may have reported negative information on your credit file. Check this. Anything untoward and you're going to have a fight I'm afraid, please post back and you'll get help on fighting this fight.

Now, how to deal with Moorcroft.

1st write to them. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?428-General-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt is a good letter to get the ball rolling.

Tell them you will only deal with this issue in writing, this is your legal right, and as they have already broken OFT guidelines on debt collection over the phone it's the only responsible way to communicate.

Again, please check your credit file and post back if there is anything negative from virgin media!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar