• Tweets

• Should I go to see the CAB or something? I just don't think I have the strength or brain capacity to deal with all of this. The mess I have gotten myself into is bad enough and now this on top. My head hurts. What should I do?  It's all very horrible, I feel genuinely scared and stressed because of all this. I don't understand what is going on   I have raised a dispute with Santander to see if they have done something. I have just explained my situation, what is happening and that it all seems to have started when I told Santander I was struggling, had approached StepChange and transferred my direct debits etc to Starling. It was all going well with Starling, I actually really liked it, but now everything has just gone to !!!!!! and I feel sick to my stomach  
    • Hi All,   I was going to post an update after a month had passed since I sent my SN but didn't get around to it, after about two weeks I received a letter from Highview letting me know the opportunity to appeal had been missed, Shame, lol! .... Anyway, on Sat 13th (the 13th! Aaarggghh! 🤣) I received a Claim Form from DCB(L) .... seems they wish to pursue the matter through the courts! These people really are tiresome ....   Details to follow ....   (EDIT: just noticed this is the 13th post as well! .... not that I'm superstitious, lol! 😂)
    • I have just checked Experian too and there is nothing on there about CCJs or any other suspicious or adverse info that would impact me like this, other than my present situation of course.   Bankruptcy, CCJ or IVA This includes court judgments (CCJs), debt relief orders, bankruptcies, individual voluntary arrangements (IVAs) and other public records recorded against you. You have no public records. GAIN (Gone Away Information Network) Lenders use GAIN to tell each other about customers with unpaid debts. If in the past you’ve left unpaid debts when living at a previous address, you may appear on GAIN and so lenders may be less likely to give you credit. You have no GAIN records.
    • I think I might have had a CCJ but it was way longer than 7 years ago and I have been able to apply and get loans, credit cards etc. I have been pretty fine with my finances until now, until this mess I managed to get myself into this year   There is nothing showing on the TransUnion credit report about an old CCJ. Is there another place I can look to see if there was one and if so how long ago?  I have signed up to TransUnion and on there it says (in Search History):   ORGANISATION PURPOSE DATE Transunion Consumer Id Check (Ml)   Identity Check for Credit 15 Apr 2024   Nationwide Building Society (Sr,Tac,Ct,Cval,R) Nationwide Building Society Bav (Cval Ml) Anti-Money Laundering 11 Apr 2024   Monzo Bank (Cosmos, Cr, Sa, Ar, Ct Batch) Monzo Bank Limited 2 (Cosmos Ar) AF 10 Apr 2024   Monzo Bank (Cosmos, Cr, Sa, Ar, Ct Batch) Monzo Bank Limited 2 (Cosmos Cr Bsb) Quotation Search 10 April 2024 I think AF means a financial association with someone or something, but I have just read that that could be something as simple as sharing an address with someone (which I do).    Public Information Details of any Bankruptcies, Insolvencies or Court Judgments that are in your name in relation to settlements of money. Bankruptcies and Insolvencies You do not have any Bankruptcies or Insolvencies on your credit report. Judgments You do not have any Judgments on your credit report. There are no Cifas markers registered against you. You do not have any Notices of Correction on your credit report. Does any of this make sense? I don't mean the information I have provided above, I mean why I am being rejected by every bank I have applied for, except Monzo (so far) Every loan I have ever taken out has been paid and settled on time, I have never missed payments on things. The only things I have outstanding at the moment are the ones I listed at the start of this thread when I completed the budget planner. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

have we got a leg to stand on???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6234 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi..

my partner owns a property which he let to a girl who worked for him.. (no contract was ever drawn up or bond ever paid!) everything was fine, (occasionally they'd been late with their monthly rent but not often) until she handed her notice in, she has a new job but had to work a month in hand.. at the same time her partner lost his job.. this left them with no money.. he is now working again but they are three months behind with the rent.. she said she would pay the rent weekly this happened for one week, and that wasnt even a quarter of the monthly amount, never mind about the arrears.. and we havent seen or heard from her since.. she is not answering or returning our calls, i know perhaps weve been a bit foolish but thought we could trust her..

any advice gratefully received..

cap one - prelim letter sent 23/8 £460 owed

partial refund, now sod off letter received 6/9

lba 5/10, claim served 30th jan,

CAP ONE SETTLED IN FULL 15thTH FEB!!!

lloyds card services - prelim sent 23/8 £332 owed

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

claim issued via mcol 13/10

awaiting papers from SC&M

court date set for 26th March

nat west - Data Protection Act sent 11/7.. non compliance.. considering court action.

non compliance letter sent 29/8 giving them a further 7 days- gave them loads more days!!

5/10 lba sent for pre action disclosure

settled in full 2.1.07

cahoot - Data Protection Act sent 7/8 on hold for a while

Tesco - prelim sent 6/10 £200 owed

Hi all!

karen25,in reply to your post:

Yes,to be perfectly blunt with you without being unkind it is VERY foolish to let out a property without a contract in place! However,the deposit depends on who you are renting the property to and how well you know him/her/them.

Anyway, after that little rant let me see how I could possibly help you!!

Please answer the following questions:

1.When did your partner purchase the property?

2.When did the girl move into the property?

3.When did the girl serve her notice to terminate her employment with your partner?

4.Was it agreed in the offset that the girl's partner was to share the property with her or not?

5.How has this girl being paying the rent? i.e.Cheque,cash or bank credit/standing order?

The answers to the following questions should hopefully enable me to assist you further.

hi nightmare..

thanks for the response.. dont worry about ranting i didnt expect anyoe to say we havent been rather foolish!

anyway in answer to your questions...

1.When did your partner purchase the property?

he bought it around about 1994

2.When did the girl move into the property?

december 2004

3.When did the girl serve her notice to terminate her employment with your partner?

july 2006

4.Was it agreed in the offset that the girl's partner was to share the property with her or not?

yes they moved in together

5.How has this girl being paying the rent? i.e.Cheque,cash or bank credit/standing order?

they have mainly paid by standing order but some months the payment hasnt gone through and they have paid cash

she gave him a cheque yesterday for one weeks rent (since starting her new job she is paid weekly so asked could she pay her rent weekly) when he asked about the arrears she said she would have to "sort" something?!

i know she has had it far too easy for far too long!!

thanks in advance for your help..

karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

nat west - Data Protection Act sent 11/7.. non compliance.. considering court action.

non compliance letter sent 29/8 giving them a further 7 days- gave them loads more days!!

settled in full 2.1.07

Hi all!

karen25,thanks for your answers to the questions.

I have two more further questions to ask you before I post my complete response:

1.What is current amount of the outstanding arrears?

2.What is current rent that your partner is charging the tenants?

The answers to the above questions together with your previous answers should enable me to hopefully assist you further.

Nightmare4banks

A tenancy does not need to be in writing for one to exist or arise. It is not in anyway foolish if one lets without a written agreement, although it may save arguments and disputes at a later date. From what you say it appears that there is at the very least an assured shorthold for 6 months, by default.

Hi all!

I agree with JS's post that the current situation for karen25's partner is the fact that an Assured Shorthold Tenancy has been created by default.

However,I will reiterate my view that IT IS foolish not to have a signed and dated tenancy agreement mainly because:

1.Otherwise in this case had karen25's partner let out his property prior to the revamp of the housing law - I think it was 1996.He would now be lumbered with tenants on an ASSURED TENANCY by default.This is why I asked karen25 the question regarding the tenants date of occupying the property - question 2.

2.This would mean the owner would have to have a reason to evict the tenants,they would have full security of tenure and most importantly the property would be worth much less due to the security of tenure - probably around 30% less.This would make the tenancy's value easily a five figure sum value whereas an Assured Shorthold Tenancy is worth alot less.

3.There have been previous cases where owners have had to pay former tenants very large sums of money in damages due to the tenant having security of tenure running into tens of thousands of pounds.Of course,what has happened in each case the owner had physically unlawfully evicted the tenant(s) or driven

the tenant(s) out of the property.

hi guys..

thanks for the rsponse a bit over my head all this legal jargon.. sorry!!

in answer to your questions nightmare they currently owe him £975 plus this weeks rent (another £81.50..) she failed to show over the weekend.. again!! i feel she is really taking the p**s and they are meant to pay £325 pcm

karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

Hi all!

1.Are the tenants both working or not at the moment?If not they may qualify for help with the rent.

2.If they do,should not accept the rent cheques directly due to possible attempts to clawback in the event of the tenants' fraud in applying for housing benefit.

3.Your partner needs to contact the tenants and get some firm proposals regarding the payment of the rent - arrears and future payments.

HOWEVER BEFORE YOUR PARTNER DOES ANYTHING...

I have one more question for you

When was the last time your partner increased the rent?

The answers to the above questions should hopefully enable me to assist you further.

hi...

thanks for your help and advice..they both had new jobs, but last night she appeared with a cheque for two weeks rent... post dated!! and said her fella was out of work once more.. so more problems lay ahead i fear..

there has never been an increase in rent since they've been in the property..

karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

I would sit them down and explain that you want all future rent to be paid on time and all arrears brought up to date within a given period of time (state one). Get them to sign something agreeing to this and should they miss a payment by a single day I would honestly start proceedings to both remove them and get the money they owe back. You will surely be able to find better tennants and this time will be a bit wiser and get a deposit/contract etc. Good luck.

thanks for that.. its certainly time he showed them who is in charge methinks! im sure she will have sought advice on what rights she has as a tenant.. thats what you get for letting to "friends"

your comments are very much appreciated..

thanks again k

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

In my view,your partner has two options:

OPTION ONE - KEEP TENANTS IN PROPERTY

1.To keep the tenants in the property and make sure they pay the rent and some of the arrears on a weekly/fortnightly/monthly basis - this should be to suit the tenant.The reason I say this because if your partner requests £40 per week towards the arrears and they cannot afford it,there would be no point.It should be a small amount say no more than £10 per week towards the arrears plus maintaining the weekly/monthly rent payments up to date.

2.Make sure that all future payments are paid into a bank account by standing order or cash credit that is in your partner's name.This is so that he does not have to wait for the cheque(s) to arrive.He should not be fussy about the frequency that he is paid as long as he is being paid.

OPTION TWO - EVICT THE TENANTS

Eviction can be 2 main types based

1.on rent arrears.

or

2.on the owner wanting a possession order under the shorthold clause.

This is called an Accelerated Possession Order.

Personally if I were in your partner's position I would seek a possession order.

Normally this is automatically granted due to the fact that the tenant has a shorthold agreement and in this case the fixed term has lapsed by default.

Keep it simple, if you want to go down this route ask the County Court for the necessary forms plus pay the appropriate fee.You will need the date that the tenants moved in the property.

I hope you find this information useful.

If you need more help,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

• 2 weeks later...

hi nightmare

an update...

iv taken on board all your advice, my o.h seems intent on giving them the benefit of the doubt.. time and time again!!

the latest thing? she turned up yesterday and told him the (above mentioned) post dated cheque would bounce.. it has!! (another £25 added to the ever spiralling amount owed!!) she now says they are on a debt management plan whereby they pay £200 pm and this company pays their creditors on a pro rata basis.. she told my o.h that they would be sorting the rent from now on.. he doesnt understand any of this (having never been in debt himself!!) but correct me if im wrong.. landlords arent actually creditors are they?

and.. how the heck are they going to pay £325 pm (not taking into account any arrears!) from the £200 meant for all their creditors?!

in the past four months he has had £80 from them!! they now owe £1100. but he refuses to evict them or even question what she says!

you would be forgiven for thinking you cant help them who wont help themselves (my o.h) but id like to be armed with the facts whren finally he does see sense!! please god!

also she says these people will sort a mortgage for them (they are currently £28.000 in debt) as they are keen to buy the property.. i feel this is a stalling tactic..

sorry about the rant.. feel much better now

thanks in advance

karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

I would suggest getting rid - don't throw good money after bad. You could be renting the property to other tennants in a months time - tennants who will have a contract, deposit and (hopefully) will pay the rent. Issue them with an LBA and take them to court if they fail to pay in full within 14 days. They are taking you for a ride and only firm action like this will work. It may take time to recover the money but at least you will be on their list to pay via the debt management plan and they won't be racking up any more debt to you.

Hi all!

karen25,

A FEW QUESTIONS....

1.How can these folks with £28,000 debts be in position to buy your partner's property?It would be very interesting to see how they would see to buy a property that in fact they cannot afford to pay the rent for.Regardless and funny enough this maybe a good way out of the problem for your partner but bear in mind he would be liable for some Capital Gains Tax upon selling the property.Your partner would need to obtain some independent advice regarding this matter.

2.Normally,a debt management company would put the rent as a priority debt because failure to pay could lead to eviction.So can your partner request to see the debt management plan papers that these folks have been put on?

By seeing these papers your partner could see for himself what is really going on.

PLUS...

a.Also regarding the eviction issue,I would stick to my previous suggestion for your partner to aim for a possession order rather than the rent arrears because I feel your partner will be wasting his money plus in all cases there are hearings normally for rent arrears whereas possession orders it is not the case.

b.Whatever your partner does,he will have to establish to move in date - by going back into previous regular rent payment dates because this can then be concluded despite no written tenancy agreement exists as judges are fairly fussy about this issue.This is because notices have to be issued prior to the desired eviction date based on the start date of the original tenancy.

c.However,as long as your partner can show the court that he has been taken for ride and been very patient and understanding with these tenants - this should hopefully swing in his favour.

Anyway,keep us posted.

thanks guys

your help is very much appreciated.. i dont believe they can possibly buy the property,since it will take them 11yrs to pay off 28k at 200 per month. i will suggests that asks to see the dmp papers.. we will see whats going on then, they have been on this plan for a couple of month now and so far he hasnt heard anything..

will keep you posted

thanks again

karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

hi everyone..

said tenant has offered o/h £380 pcm (suddenly he isnt on their dmp anymore)starting on 1/11/06 this amount will pay £55 off the arrears per month, but she has also told him the dmp people have advised her to sell her car... bought for £9k (on finance and im guessing it wouldnt be 0% interest since her parter has a ccj!) and keep the proceeds of which she will pay o/h a lump sum.. and when the car people start court proceedings to recover their money shes to refer them to dmp folk who will "sort" it?

is it just me or can anyone else smell a rat?!!

thoughts please

karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

It sounds like their car may have the car loan secured against it, in which case they won't be able to sell it as it belongs to the finance company. I would say well away from them and get rid of them as tenants as soon as possible.

Pam.

If anything I've said helps you then please feel free to tip my scales!

They have already failed to not only keep up with repayments, but also to even pay the rent. They are willing to screw people over for money (car finance co.) so they aren't to be trusted. Also what happens when the money from the car runs out? Get shot of them, get some decent tennants and start the long drawn out process of getting the money back from them. Or if they can pay all the owed money off and a two month deposit and will sign a tennancy agreement within say a weekl consider keeping them (I still wouldn't do it).

• 3 months later...

hi

sorry its been a while but said tenant has actually paid rent plus £55 arrears for two months now!!

however......

she is now with child and cannot afford to live there anymore and is seeking council accommodation, she contacted my oh to ask if he would issue her with a letter saying he wants the house, therefore she will be homeless, she says two months notice is sufficient?

anyone got any ideas for the wording of this letter please... i dont want to unwittingly give her a get out clause!

thanks karen

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

Sounds very odd all round, your OH has been very soft on this lady and this indicates she has some kind of hold over him for when she was employed. just my observation.

You need to get tough on her. Forget about being nice and friendly now she has no intention of doing you a favour by leaving, just a delaying tactic. The council will only house someone if they are on the streets. she needs to contact them for assistence. she is probably on the waiting list. A letter from you would help but i dont see how you can get your rent back if she leaves. Perhaps indicate that you are willing to do a letter if she agrees to paying off some of the back rent.

Its up to you but it maybe best to put this down to experience and just do the letter and get her out then rent to someone else. Ask politely if she has the money from the sale of the car and say as soon as you recieve back rent you will do the letter for her. May seem harsh to you but any reasonable person can see that your getting the run around. I wonder if she feel any guilt about it.

rich

hi rich

thanks for the response, ive asked him if she has some kind of hold over him. he says he is just confident of getting his money, im not so sure, and as you say once she has moved out what chance do we have then? could we perhaps get her to sign an agreement,saying she will pay off the arrears? my oh doesnt want to be seen as being unreasonable??!!!!! believe me we've had so many rows about this situation, and no she doesnt feel guilty, she really isnt a very nice person!! they never did sell the car this was another one of her lies, sorry if i sound bitter but had enough of them! perhaps you're right it might be best to get rid and put it down to experience, this is the second time we've let it to friends and they've taken the p*** no more mister nice guy in future!! next time we'll go for a tenancy agreement, bond and everything!

thanks again rich

k

sod off rerceived 25/9

lba 26/9

settled in full 2.1.07

I see nothing unreasonable about asking her to sign an agreement saying she will try to pay back the rent arears that she owes you. In fact you should make it conditional as she is asking you a favour about the letter she wants.

somewthing like this.

I the undersigned have rented the property 10 Downing Street since 1/1/01. I am in arrears of £500.00 which I have agreed to pay off as soon as i am able. In order to pay this amount off I agree to make every effort in clearing this. I do understand that the Landlords of the property have given me oppertunities to settle the debt but due to my circumstances I have been unable to do so. Currently the Landlord has agreed for me to pay off the arrears at £55.00 which i have agreed to.

signed................... you and her.

Now if you ask for this make and she doesnt sign it, you can at least show the court you made an effort in resolving the situation. She may skirm about it but you are only asking for what is reasonable. If she signs it then you have a good case.

put your niceness away dont forget its your money. glad you can take the observations in a humourous way lol

rich

go to staples get alaw pack tenancy agrement and get that ready for next time , go to taxcafe web site or the library and get a book by carl bailey called how to avoide proerty tax, then look up andy shaw on the internet and get his book money for nothing and your property for free , for some wonderfull ways to make money from being a landlord that is in no way about rent other than getting rent to cover the cost of buying the property

and all the grief will just melt away . you will be armed with some very good advice and will have paid minimum for it , treat it all as a learning curve and you will just get better next time.

Tesco Personal Finance Due to File in Court 03/04/07

Barclays 13/03/07 Paid in full £1998.78 :D

MBNA 10/10/06 Paid in full £1507.69 (inc 751.69 intrest):D

sorry PM me if that doesent make sense or you would like a little more info before buying books , as i doubbt any library would have the money for nothing book in its stock

Tesco Personal Finance Due to File in Court 03/04/07

Barclays 13/03/07 Paid in full £1998.78 :D

MBNA 10/10/06 Paid in full £1507.69 (inc 751.69 intrest):D