Might Halifax offset a cc debt from a deposit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4644 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have a credit card debt with Halifax for about £340 currently on £1 per month payments (been on them about 18 months), I have a savings account with them also, I made some money on Amazon and used the Halifax savings account to have my Amazon earnings sent to, they should arrive in a few days, trouble is the ammount Amazon is going to send is about £370, enough to wipe out my credit card debt, I am worried Halifax will take the money from the savings to do this, please can any one advise on wether this is likely given:

* The debt is small at only £340, (do they still tend to use the offset rule on small debts?).

* I have an active and maintained arrangement on the account.

Also when an ammount is offset from an account is it done automaticly by a computer as soon as a large enough deposit comes in or is there a delay between the deposit comming in the account and a employee manually offsetting the debt giving me time to transfer the money away to another bank before they have a chance? (eg. is it instant or is there a delay).

Thanks very much all :razz:

Yes they can offset.

But my only question here would be why you wouldn't want to pay this off and be rid of it?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi,

I understand that they can do it but I was wondering based on the factors above if anyone had any idea how likely it might be?

I need the money to pay for more important debts/food etc. I am on a £1 arrangement and can't afford to pay this off all in one go like this if they offset it, I think Ill just have to set my alam clock for 5am and try and transfer it out quickly (assuming its not offset instantly by a computer).

This is the corrupt rotten to the core banking industry were talking about here, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could spit.

You can send them a letter which will stop them from taking this money.....http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?578-Right-of-Appropriation-Stop-the-bank-from-taking-your-money

Not used it myself, but it will do the trick.

Have you got another bank account?

If not then it would be advisable to get one, but not one in the same banking group as Shallowfax.

Co-oP or similar.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Here I am at 4:20am - it worked !! Money transferred and received by another bank. I have no idea if they would had taken the money but based on what I read online their was a chance, glad it's worked though of course.

Well at least you know it's safe!

Now you can relax and take them on at your own pace.:bolt:

Without knowing if you had a previous credit balance in your savings account, no -one could predict what they might or might not have done, so well done for getting it out safely.

My own personal dealings with Halifax were that they grabbed every penny that went into my account to cover their ridiculous fees and left me without any income (it was benefits due to illness and the death of my daughter), and nothing would persuade them to leave me a penny to live on. As benefits were, at that time paid monthly, and despite the Benefits' Agency trying desperately to get their money back so they could pay me, Halifax would not budge, so for 4 long weeks I had absolutely no income and had to depend on soup kitchens for food!

Isn't it absolutely criminal that they can still get away with acting like that in this day & age.....If it's any consolation HS I still owe them a five figure sum....and there is no payment plan in place, or even remotely on the cards!

What made you think they might?

Did you have a stand off or did they want more money?

I am only paying a £1 a month of my credit card debt with them, so they woulnd't be happy with that, I have only ever kept £1 in the savings account so had no idea what would happen when a large enough sum to pay of the credit card was paid in, I have a good feeling based on what I have read that if I had kept the money in the savings account long enough they would have took it.

I felt pretty damn pleased with myself this morning :D

Isn't it absolutely criminal that they can still get away with acting like that in this day & age.....If it's any consolation HS I still owe them a five figure sum....and there is no payment plan in place, or even remotely on the cards!

HA! Fantastic, Its always nice to hear things like this :D

Without knowing if you had a previous credit balance in your savings account, no -one could predict what they might or might not have done, so well done for getting it out safely.

My own personal dealings with Halifax were that they grabbed every penny that went into my account to cover their ridiculous fees and left me without any income (it was benefits due to illness and the death of my daughter), and nothing would persuade them to leave me a penny to live on. As benefits were, at that time paid monthly, and despite the Benefits' Agency trying desperately to get their money back so they could pay me, Halifax would not budge, so for 4 long weeks I had absolutely no income and had to depend on soup kitchens for food!

Jesus christ, they are utter ****, this shows the banking industrys true colours.

I used the letter of appropriation, Benefits Office rang local Halifax Manager, and I cringe when I think that I went down on bended knees in the local office for them to help (I had been with them for 40 years) and still they were adament they could take all of my income.

This was because I had claimed back charges and won, and they closed down my account instantly and took the benefits to pay off my overdraft!!

Yeah well shallowfax were never the brightest bulb in the building, once again this highlights that there is NO loyalty to any of it's customers, you are just a number to them and as long as your making them money they will continue to play ball.

Their latest party trick is calling in overdrafts so that they can immediately start charging the £5 a day fees because it is now an unarranged od. Even though it was them who unarranged it. Because its a standing charge and they are no longer calling it over limit fees etc I think they are deliberately trying to preempt any future problems if Govan Law Centre are successful and fee reclaiming resumes.

• 1 month later...

Similar happened to me.

I have mortgage, c.card and overdraft with Shabbyfax. All were up to date

Went on ESA benefits and I have ended up 5 month is arrears with mortgage plus charges (I will be claiming these back)

For 3 months the my bank account was charged £140 a month which left me with which left me £100

This then ment there was not enough money to pay c card and eat. soo charges were put onto credit card and its in default.

I compained to the bank and due to my illness they did refund all the charges since my illness started. So that put me back under my OD limit.

Phew I thought........... but Oh no then they revoked my OD limit. so back to square one.

Complained again and they have agreed to reinstate it for 1 year for me to try and get clear. Better get fit for work soon then LOL !!

ME thinks another account is now required for my benefits to go into.

Especially as I in the process of sending them a SAR for my Halifax C Card.

Lewte >>>>>>>> legs it to open a Basic Account somewhere else !!! lol

Hi lewte, get that account open asap with a bank that has

no associations what soever with you current bank, data

sharing between companies in the same group is going on:madgrin:

• Confused 1

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Hi Brigadier,

Must stop meeting like this.

Its like everything is all happening at once and being new I must admit I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all. I had read that elswhere so I think Im going to go for a Sharkleys Basic. Will do it monday. Will start a thread for shabbyfax cc on monday.

Thanks again for the help.

Also got lowells rat pack after me. Most if not all unlawfull charges. So fun is ahead but can't do them all at once lol

Dont't want to run b4 i can walk

Thanks again for advice

Halifax are the greediest and most stupid bank in my opinion. I was on a DMP but they started hounding me for more money that I couldn't afford. It was because of them that I found this site, challenged the Halifax and haven't paid them a penny in well over 3 years. If they'd been a bit more sympathetic I would be well on my way to paying them off now.

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Your welcome,

Let us know if you need help with Lowlife, got some experience there.

Brig.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide: