• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

GP Appointments - Breach of Contract?

alanfromderby
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5427 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Okay, I have just spent 80 minutes sat in our local surgery. The appointment was for 5.20pm - I arrived at 5.10pm, and finally got to see the doctor at 6.30pm!

Now, I am not moaning about this, as I understand that doctors often get called out of surgery, and I was not in any hurry to get anywhere else.

What I was interested with though, was that about three people decided that they could not wait any longer and tried to make another appointment. The receptionist told each one that the next available appointment was APRIL 27th!!!

Firstly, I have to say that I found it astonishing that all three basically shrugged their shoulders and made the appointment for that date - despite the fact that one of them said she had waited three weeks for today's appointment.

My question though is this:

When an appointment is made with the doctor, is this not a contract being made?

If that is correct, then surely they should have been willing to offer a replacement appointment at the earliest available time. I should note here, that the surgery keeps slots clear, so that people can ring at either 8am (for an appointment that same morning), or 2pm (for an appointment that same evening). These are done on a first-come-first-served basis.

One of the three asked if she could have one of these slots for Monday - to be told that she would have to take "pot-luck" and ring at 2pm Monday. She decided to just make the appointment for April 27th.

Something is seriously wrong with this system somewhere!!

When an appointment is made with the doctor, is this not a contract being made?

I would have thought it was actually a service being rendered. One you're not directly paying for.

Are you going somewhere with that question? I'm intrigued. Or has the breach of contract fever grabbed you so hard that you can't cease wondering?;)

The crux of the problem with the NHS is that it is geared around the requirements and aspirations of the provider and not the customer. The fact that the average family pays 5 grand a year for the service is irrelevant because it's deducted directly from their wages and the service is "free at the point of use".

Whilst you have to feel sorry for doctor's receptionists....wouldn't you just like to strangle one of them as an example. LOL

BTW - my wife used to be one, so I do understand it's not their fault! :)

Hi Seminole

I am intrigued by your calculation that the average family pays £5K per year to the NHS, then this makes an average of 40 years in work at £5K per year, which is £200K, and rising.

If this is the case then one member of that family getting dementia, and having to go into a Care Home etc, has already been covered.

Which adds weight to my question "Should we have to pay AGAIN for Elderly Care"?

As its been said before in previous posts, "the amount of wastage is what the problem is with the NHS".

£96bn current spend divided by about 19m families in the UK. Some of the money comes from business tax of course and spending has increased quite a lot in the past few years. However, I'm not sure that there has been a commensurate improvement in the service.

I am intrigued by your calculation that the average family pays £5K per year to the NHS, then this makes an average of 40 years in work at £5K per year, which is £200K, and rising.

If this is the case then one member of that family getting dementia, and having to go into a Care Home etc, has already been covered.

But the average family will have had 60-off years of midwifes, health visitors, community nurses, doctors visits at home and at the surgery, A&E visits, operations and hospital stays, dental care, physio, etc, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I do believe there is a huge amount of wastage in the NHS, and the amount of "managers" beggars belief. But your calculation is over simplistic, in not factoring the ongoing costs of care to the average family above described.

It's the same old story, money going to all the wrong places.

But the average family will have had 60-off years of midwifes....

Oh no, I can feel a soap box moment coming on (sorry everyone)......

Just 1 example of a HUGE waste of money. If we regarded hospital birth as the exception rather than the norm there would be millions diverted back into the NHS. Why on earth is it not assumed that women will give birth at a birth centre (much cheaper than hospital) or at home (dirt cheap compared to hospital) unless medical history or something happens in the pregnancy to warrant being hospitalised? It's ante-natal care that's made such a difference in mother/baby mortality, not hospital birthing.

Just think of the cash it would save & not to mention the hospital space it would free up.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

What on earth is a birth centre?

At home? Let's see...

Because most women actually like the idea of not being in major pain for hours with little relief?

Because most women do not want to have the neighbours, the other children and the milkman around when they give birth?

Because you never know what can go wrong? And that the only way to ensure the minimum or risk to mother and child is to be in an adequate facility. I have 3 children, every one of them would have died if I hadn't been in hospital. There was nothing in my pregnancies to predict things could go wrong.

Because we are, thank goodness, in the 21st century, and women are actually entitled to some care and dignity, rather than drop the sprog, clean up and return to the cooker in time to make dinner.

You probably have a birth centre near you. Fantastic NHS facilities. Midwife run, all pain relief available, far more homely & non-clinical atmosphere.

As I'm a total wimp when it comes to pain I can only assume that the research must be right & being at home does make you better able to cope with the pain & so you percieve it to hurt less.

My neighbours didn't even realise I'd had my 1st baby so I doubt the milkman would either. I was very lucky, had I been in hosptal & decided to take the hours "break" in contractions when I did they'd have had me on a hormone drip then sliced me open & put me & baby at risk...... Although yes, I did have him at 8:30pm & by 6am the next morning I was up cleaning windows lol..... archaic or maybe quite amazing how little it affects you when you stay at home? As for dignity.... being in my own home with 2 midwives who stay till the bitter end seems far more dignified to me than the hospital option.

Off the soap box now, apologies to the men who are sat cringeing, I promise there'll be no more birth stories.

I still maintain that they cut costs from all the wrong places & in many cases it's bad management & too much patient care time spent on paperwork & target planning that causes the huge waiting time for appointments. We keep hearing that the population is falling so it can't be just sheer numbers that's causing this.... something's obviously not working. A 3 week wait to see a GP is neither use nor ornament if you're ill the day you phone for an appointment.

Yorkshire Bank £2201.24 - Settled in full

My Abbey £731.34 - Settled in full

Hubby's Abbey £1239.49 - Settled in full

• 5 weeks later...
Whilst you have to feel sorry for doctor's receptionists....wouldn't you just like to strangle one of them as an example. LOL

BTW - my wife used to be one, so I do understand it's not their fault! :)

Can you tell me did you strangle her as well lolol :D

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

But the average family will have had 60-off years of midwifes, health visitors, community nurses, doctors visits at home and at the surgery, A&E visits, operations and hospital stays, dental care, physio, etc, etc...

I have recently had about 15 grands worth of my money back from the nhs in ops I agree unless you are one of the extremely lucky ones that never goes to the docs then you cant say that you havent recieved any form of care for your money

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

I dont think hospital births are a waste of money, i think sending me a letter and fancy leaflet asking me what hospital I want my son to go to (there's only one in my area) is a waste of money, I believe in choice, but why cant the GP ask if I want a different hospital at the time of referral?

I think the bureaucracy (sp, think its right but looks wrong!) its what is wrong with the NHS, get rid of the unnecessary paperwork and the unnecessary managers will follow!

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

• 3 weeks later...

The question of GP appointments has vexed me and my family on a number of occasions. In our case, our GP used to have appointments booked from 9:30 in the morning, but consistently did not arrive at the surgery until 10:15 or later. The appointments were then started from 10:00am but still the GP was arriving 45 or even 60 minutes late. The appointment times have moved back even further, but still the GP is late arriving.

Our GP is the sole physician in the practice, but he has several consulting rooms at the surgery. He will call several patients out of the waiting room and ask them to sit in different rooms. He will then visit one patient, break off before the consultation is over and it seems he will go and visit one or more of the other patients, before returning some time later to continue the consultation.

Most people regard GP's as being highly trained professionals, and we feel that as a professional our GP fails to respect his patients, by being consistently significantly late, and failing to offer his undivided attention to his patients.

Is there some guidance on the level performance in these regards that patients should reasonably expect?

Guest Lueeze

Blimey, thats awful to keep leaving you in a room whilest he sees to other patients in rooms adjacent...

Can you swap doctors? Maybe he is on call and has to make house visits and this is a reason for his lateness? I cannot believe he turns up after 10 all the time cos he's been having a lay in...?

I had an advocate which was really helpful (if you get a good one) she st down with my care team and gave them a polite grilling!

Lou x

Is there some guidance on the level performance in these regards that patients should reasonably expect?

Yes apparantly so. If they can tick all the boxes they get paid £250K a year.

Blair's Britain.

• 2 months later...

:oops: Hi im new to the site and have just been looking through different forums and come accross this one

Im sorry to here about your long wait at your surgery, but as a NHS Receptionist, and patient myself, (which most people tend to forget when they are screaming at me) i can see it from both sides, as a patient we want to be seen as quickly as poss but now in this day and age of law suits and court cases, from the Dr point he must spend as much time that is needed to ensure he makes the diognosis as best he can (as Drs are humans too and are not perfect) on each patient. They are also under pressure from "Powers Above" to see patients as quickly as reasonably possiable..... they have bosses too(many people dont realise that) .......Ive lost count how many times ive "slotted people in here & popped them in there" & had to take the flack after surgery has finished but thats just part of the job ! When i started the job i didnt want to be one of those :-x "DRAGON" reseptionists like the one in "MY HERO" (standing joke in my family,sorry)so i try as best i can to please as many people as i can & try to smooth things over in thoses stressfull moments for patients & Drs ... so please next time your at your surgery please, please, spare a thought for your Hardworking Receptionist

Take Care xx

1st letter to Abbey requesting statements 10/08/06

Reply from Abbey..Sorry on Microfiche..cant do 18/08/06

2nd letter to Abbey Microfiche argument letter R/D 23/08/06

Received 16 Statements from Abbey 23/0806

Reply from Abbey.. enclosed complaints leaflet 2/08/06

Phone call from abbey Re my account 20.55hrs 5/09/06

Letter to MBNA requesting statements 6/9/06

Sent off Data Protection Act letter to MBNA 2/10/06

Sent off Non Compliance letter to P Speed 3/10/06

Cover letter & 5yrs statements received 9/10/06

Received letter from MBNA saying they had reduced limit 9/10/06

I spare a thought for our nice afternoon receptionist but the morning one is like a dragon guarding its treasure - How dare you want an appointment, lol.

What REALLY annoys me is our GP dont let you make appts they just open the phone lines at 830 and its a free for all each day so unless you wake up dead early and sit there hitting redial you're screwed, they dont do afternoon appts either its really aggravating but what REALLY REALLY makes me cross is they let all the old dears have the earliest appts and people who are trying to be honest and go to work even tho they might be ill are told you can have an appt at 11am (even if its something you need to see a GP for but you're not ill if you understand).

There should be a policy of offering people who dont need appts before 9am or after 4pm being asked to go later (or just being offered the 10am appts).

Also to be fair I used to work in a LOT of GP surgeries supporting their computers and most were ok to me but they were awful to the patients, one particular time this poor timid lad walks in and asks quietly for some condoms and they ritualistically humiliated him I very nearly said something about it it was that bad.

I too have been on the receving end of a good few practice managers wrath PMSL it's funny now looking back on it but at the time it was not nice at all :(

I was also working in retail at the same time (covering shops as well as GPs lol) and the difference was shops regarded the computers as an investment in saving time and making money whereas most GPs saw it as another expense.

My favourite line from our receptionist is "our system doesnt let us book appointments more than 3 days ahead" Well thats funny I put it in and I know it does hehehehehe.

Glad to hear you're not all evil old witches though ;)

I dont think hospital births are a waste of money, i think sending me a letter and fancy leaflet asking me what hospital I want my son to go to (there's only one in my area) is a waste of money, I believe in choice, but why cant the GP ask if I want a different hospital at the time of referral?

I think the bureaucracy (sp, think its right but looks wrong!) its what is wrong with the NHS, get rid of the unnecessary paperwork and the unnecessary managers will follow!

I don't want choice, I don't have to want to make that decision, I want to know that when I turn up at a hospital, GP or go under the knife the standards will be the same everywhere!

• 11 months later...

Our practice is awful on the admin side, you can only call up for an appointment on the same day at 08:30 and 14:30, you have to tell the receptionist why you want to see your GP, then you have to wait for the practice nurse to call you back so you can tell her why you need to see your GP. Then the nurse offers you an appointment if she thinks you are worthy. Grrrrr if the GP's weren't so good I'd change practice.

aaah the times i've sat and waited and waited and waited at the local GP's, its enough to drive you insane! gggrrrrr, anyway, not sure if this applies nationwide, but if youi're waiting more than 20 mins at our surgery they have to give you some indication of how much longer you will be waiting, my friend seems to think its in the 'patient charter'??? check with your local surgery..also our emergency app are 10am to 10.45am, you hve to phone first and tell them you're coming, now as long as you arrive before 10.40 they guarentee to see you...so this is how i get seen quickest...instead of arriving just before 10am (as every otherbody does in the hope you get seen first)!!! i arrive at 10.40, by this time most of the patients who have been waiting since 10am are just being seen, meaning i only wait about 10 mins or so, its worked every time, but different surgeries operate differently, so check. with dr's and nurses appointments i've been forgotten about and even discovered the dr has left the building without anyone telling me! i feel sorry for the receptionts:D as if i'm there more than 20 mins i usually start moaning:D doesn't get me anywhere but i feel better for it:D

• 3 weeks later...

I am a GP, so I can tell you how it feels from inside the room.

Some cases take 5 minutes, but many take more - how do you deal properly with someone telling you they can't see the point in going on living, or that they haven't slept for a month in 10 minutes? Sometimes it takes 20 or 30 minutes. If you take less people moan that their GP doesn't listen, or they don't understand what has happend and come back the next day.

Most surgeries i end up about 20-40 minutes over time - so if you want to be seen on time get an appointment near the start. Don't turn up late - If I'm running to time I then am forced late by having to see you during someone elses slot. Also if you are going to come with five seperate problems book a double appointment - most receptionists will understand this and the GP will thank you for it. tell your GP upfront that there are 2,3 or 4 things you want to deal with - it's more efficient as they can do all the scripts in one go, examine everything at once rather than getting you up and down from the couch or whatever. They also know they gotta go faster to keep to time!

The problem is that demand is almost unlimited - the easier access gets the more it fills up with stuff that did not need to see a doctor - so many people have a "while I'm here" and "I just wanted to get it checked out attitude" to minor problems. Difficulty in access is the only tool available to stop this, so receptionists end up on the front line of health care rationing without really realising it!

Access to any service outside of 9-5 is always going to be more expensive, access when you want it to a service with such unpredicatable demands on it as healthcare is often going to be pot luck. The only alternative is expensive redundacy in the system - doctors sitting idle waiting for patients to appear. With Efficiency the watchword in public services that's never going to happen in the public sector - you can pay to see a doctor instantly in London stations these days, but they charge £50 for 10 minutes last time I looked, probably more by now.

:D <-- MazzaB, financial warrior! (*with a little help from my [real] flexible friends.......*) Bank ---> :mad:

:) Please click on my scales if you find my comments helpful! (or ya think i'm sexy ;))

I am a GP, so I can tell you how it feels from inside the room.

Some cases take 5 minutes, but many take more - how do you deal properly with someone telling you they can't see the point in going on living, or that they haven't slept for a month in 10 minutes? Sometimes it takes 20 or 30 minutes. If you take less people moan that their GP doesn't listen, or they don't understand what has happend and come back the next day.

If only gp's did spend more than 5 mins with patients who say they can't see the point in going on living, perhaps then they would understand the problem more rather than throwing antidepressants and zopiclone at patients or phoning Crisis Teams demanding input for people with social problems. GP's rarely serve any more purpose than act as a middle-man for specialist services, and even then, GP's often refer to the wrong or least appropriate service simply because they didnt take the time to listen in the first place.

GP's dictate how their practice is run, and frankly, they no longer have an interest in doing the best thing for the patients. it's all about get em in then out the door again as quick as possible. AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON OUT OF HOURS GP SERVICES.... geting paid a fortune for doing chuff all and passing the book and CAUSING inappropriate admissions to hospital which cost us money, overwork nurses, and crowd wards. THAT is the cause of full hospital wards.... and all because GP's dont have the balls, confidence or skills to identify properly who needs to be in hospital and who doesnt.

GP's need more training, to be better doctors and have better people skills. GP's know a little bit about everything, unfortunately, when i see a doctor, i want them to know a LOT about EVERYTHING.

Gone are the days of the family doctors..... when i grew up i saw the same gp for the first 18 years of my life (im only 27), there was no problem getting an appointment with him, i didnt even have to ask to be seen by him in particular it was just offered as he was my doctor and i didnt see any other doctors unless he was on holiday.

Not all GP'S are bad, just most of them.

Breach of contract? What do you want to gain? Money? If so, then bugga off cos that comes out of my taxes. If it's some kind of ruling that GP's then have to stick to appointment times or be struck off, then fine. But they will probably just stop offering appointments and operate a drop-in where it's first come first served and you probably wait all day. Sounds a bit third world dunnit?!

Better to have gp surgeries open at weekends so that you don't get the monday morning deluge or the sunday afternoon a&e run for minor sports injuries and such like. There are many better ways of doing things, just the people in charge dont seem to see them.

• 1 year later...

Speaking as a practice manager in support of her staff and doctors, we endeavour to offer the best possible service we can on a daily basis with the resourses we have and taking into account 'we are not a bottomless pit'

Is it any wonder patients cant get appointment, who books them all? will I can tell you who, its other patients of course - those who wake up with a cold (and expect a miracle cure from their GP) and those who wake up with a sort throat (and expext a miracle cure from their GP) and those who are 'just passing' and want to just get their BP checked, no reason but the shops arent open yet, and the story could go on and on and on. Is it any wonder we have no appointments left for those poor patients who are really suffering, (do they need admitting to hospital - could it be a cancer diagnosis - do we need to get the mental health team involved - can we fit you all in - NO. Unfortunately these horrible receptionists that you mention can only do their job (which is very hard) and give each patient that asks an appointment, if they dared mention going to the pharmacy for something we would be seen as 'fobbing' you off, but when all appointments have gone then they have gone, how long do you want the doctor to go on for, we could conitnually book appointments all day long and still never have enough.

I may sound like I am getting on my soap box but I DO care about the service we provide, and I DO care if patients are inconvenienced and I DO care if someone doesnt feel well and cant get an appointment but who is to blame, its not the receptionists or the docs its patients who dont understand that by abusing the service we offer then other patients are being penalised.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5427 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks