Fine for insufficient money on oyster card after getting of the bus

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4604 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Me and my partner jumped on a bendy bus at the station where it started its journey and swiped our oyster cards. Mine was fine but hers did not have sufficient money. The bus started moving and we thought of jumping out at the first stop.

And there they were waiting for us at the first stop with their scanning equipment. We did get off but one officer stopped us on the pavement to scan our oyster. We explained that we were trying to get off after realising one of us did not have sufficient credit on the oyster card and that this was the first stop and it was not our final destination. He tried to make us pay the fine on the spot by lying to us and saying it is 25pds if you pay now or 50pds if you do not take advantage of this reduced fine now. In the end we said we were going to appeal as this is not fair and realised he was trying to con us as we do have 21 days to pay the reduced amount.

However, on the ticket it says you can still travel to your destination with that ticket. We got stopped and fined on the pavement. Surely our rights have been wronged.

I will be grateful if you could advise how I should appeal.

Hello there. In case it helps the guys to advise you next time they come along [day jobs and half term permitting], which ticket says you can travel to your destination with it please?

Do you have automatic top-ups for the Oyster cards?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi there,

The 50£ penalty fare ticket says: "This ticket is issued in accordance with the Greater London Authority Act 1999 and authorises you to complete your current journey to the destination stated above"

No automatic top up for that Oyster card.

Best,

Now surely this is a common occurence, I rarely travel; by bus in London but at least once/twice a week I attempt to pass throuigh tube barriers without success so I then know that I need to top up my oyster, however when you are on a bus, if there is not enough money on your oyster (and who can actually keep track ?!), you have no time to get off before the next stop and risk a fine, I'm sure this kind of case must of come before a court at some time, I think I'd be willing to risk taking it to court and see what the outcome is.

.............................................Does auto top up operate on buses?...in any `event it isn't that widely used as it involves handing over all sorts of info. to TfL that some people simply do not want to do.Andy

An oystercard is not a ticket of any sort, it is merely a way of paying for a service, much like a credit or debit card.

It is your responsibility to ensure you have the funds to pay the fare before travelling...simples.

An oystercard is not a ticket of any sort, it is merely a way of paying for a service, much like a credit or debit card.

It is your responsibility to ensure you have the funds to pay the fare before travelling...simples.

Well..yes...that is true and makes perfect sense at a tube station where you have the ability to check how much is on your card and top it up if needs be, the situation is very different on buses, i expect the majority of us who own Oysters have no idea how much is on there at any given time and generally whilst waiting a bus stop there is no way of checking how much is on` there untill you board the bus, which is then too late.........I know that TfL are well aware of this but they are so concerened with fare evasion on buses that they are left with little choice but to penalise those who have made a genuine mistake.Andy

Hi guys. Is it not possible to check the Oyster card credit balance online?

My best, HB

Yes, but only if it has been registered. Some people dont want to register as you can avoid the penalty if you have the minimum balance & dont tap out.

Yes, but only if it has been registered. Some people dont want to register as you can avoid the penalty if you have the minimum balance & dont tap out.

Plus some people dont wish TfL to keep track of them !

Guys,

Do I stand a chance if I appeal on the grounds that I had left the bus already having realised a genuine mistake had been made and also because the officer tried to force us to pay the fine on the spot by trying to make us believe that we would not benefit from the lower fine.

Thanks

Matt

Exactly, it might be an idea to get all the data from the Oyster Card to show that this is a mistake, nothing like this has ever happened before. They will just use

their own T & C's.

To the contrary of that guy who stayed on the bus we got off.....

basically the oyster card had not been used since december last year...we put 5pds on the day and travelled from zone 2 to zone 1 and back by tube then jumped on the bus...swiped it...there was not enough money...the bus started moving and at the next stop we tried to get off. Thats where they stopped us on the pavement.

Write a letter to them, send it Recorded, explain exactly what happened, lets see what they have to say, explain that it's illegal and dangerous to exit from a

moving bus, so your options are limited, plus the driver really shouldn't start driving off until you were further down the bus. I'm sure theres a point on a bus that all

customers must be beyond before the bus starts moving. If it's recent they might still have CCTV from the bus.

Don't forget to mention what the inspector told you on the pavement.

basically the oyster card had not been used since december last year...we put 5pds on the day and travelled from zone 2 to zone 1 and back by tube then jumped on the bus...swiped it...there was not enough money...the bus started moving and at the next stop we tried to get off. Thats where they stopped us on the pavement.

• 3 months later...
Busfare2ndrej.jpg

Hi guys,

This is the reply I got from London transport after appealing for a 2nd time.

Please advise if I stand a final chance or should I just pay it.

Thanks

I would of thoiught (as I mentioned some time back) that this is a very common occurence and that TfL are well aware that many people do not know how much is on their Oyster and there is no way of checking either on buses or at bus stops, that is why i doubt whether they will change their mind for you as no doubt many thousands before you have been in same position.

Andy

Is it possible to pay by cash after getting on the bus? I assume it must be, as otherwise we country yokels would not be able to use a London bus.

If it is, then I don't understand how thousands of people have been in the OPs position, as most people carry some cash, certainly enough to pay a bus fare?

On Bendy buses once you get on the doors close quickly and it is only possible to pay by Oyster, if there isnt enough money on your Oyster..you are screwed, you cant get off till the next stop.

There is another common scenario, you get on the bus but it is so busy that you are unable to reach the oyster swipers therefore you cant swipe your card.

I recently saw a swarm of inspectors get on a bus and check everyones card, many people made as dash for the swiper and swiped their cards, although they wernt given a penalty charge, the inspectors made them leave the bus which seemed unfair (and perhaps not legal) as they were travelling and they did have a valid/swiped oyster.

Andy