New vauxhall engine???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4664 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'll begin at the start...lol I have a Vauxhall Zafira it's and 08 just out of warranty in Midle of Jan this year only done about 28,000 miles. Had 3 services, 1 M.O.T. , 1 Replacement EGR valve to date.

I was driving along the dual carraigeway and went to overtake a lorry. My car started to splutter and slow down. I put on hazzard warning lights looked on mirror and saw large clouds of white smoke coming out of exhaust.I managed to get car into a lane where i took key out of ignition but....my car continued dto rev at the highest revs itself....my kids who are 11, 8 and 2 were screaming and shaking the eldest 2 got out of car while i ran round to struggle with the car seat to get 2 yr old out.

We ran as far away as possible fearing the the car would explode. It continued revving for a further 5 - 6 mins.

AA called out, towed to dealership. This happened on the 20th Apr and i still have no car. I got a report back from Vauxhall dealership saying it needs a completely new engine..I was like what?????

They had a Vauxhall rep out nad a report was sent to Vauxhall who replied. With you not bbeing loyal to the company, brand and dealership by not getting your car sserviced with us we are only going to cover half the cost of the new engine which will be £3,000 lol. I about fell off my chair. I am thinking now ok it's a 3yr old car with v. low mileage and well maintained why has this happened??

I asked for the cause they replied, it MAY be the turbo or the DPF (diesel particle filter) to blame. I dont know it what they "thought" would cover me shelling out £3,000 of my own money on a car i bought 2 years previous with just over 2 yrs warranty for £13,395 so not cheap, no safe, not reliable I don't think. I contacted trading standards who said i should write a letter to the 3 companies saying it was unsatisfactory services and goods and the finance company will take over as you don't own the car they do as it's on HP. so have and vauxhall still sticking wiht half the amountfor me to pay. Finance company i have called over and over again not 6 weeks have passed and now they are ssending out an independet someone to do and independant report on engine. Vauxhall say its not mechanical lol. If the y find the same thing they wont help us and if they cannot prove that the fault was originally there for up to 6 months of taking the car on in the 1st place then we are to pay the other half.

Either trading standards have advised us poorly or we are getting the run around. £3,000 pound for half an engine and now my car probably only worth £8,000 surely this doesnt make any sense??? I am at my wits end as to what to do next but it's looking like we are to be paying the other half and be out of pocket. I feel very let down and annoyed that we have been treated like this by such a big company. How do I transport my kids now??

Hi I contacted my car insurance company just 6 weeks ago about the damages to my car . My engine is completely gone, finished, dead lol. My Zafira was only at the time just 3 months out of warranty , under 30,000 miles on the clock and well mainained (serviced and mot'd). It had a major fault wiht the engine (diesel particle filter) that damaged my engine to the extent that it requires a completely new engine. I called insurance company 1st but i was told they could do nothing for me as it wasnt on fire or misfuelled??? i was gobsmacked....not only did we have a terrible time with thinking the car engine was going to explode and trying to gget my 3 kids outta the car and then it towed to deaership to be told a week later that the whole engine has to be replaced. Vauxhall are only willing to contribute half the engine cost so we are left to find nealry £3,000. I dont know what else i can do on this matter and wonder if anyone can give me some advice please??

thanx in advance.

I may be wrong, but this isn't an insurance claim. Your issue is with Vauxhall

Agree, nothing to do with Car Insurance itself. If you have the legal cover or a helpline, see if they can give advice about your consumer rights with Vauxhall or garage you bought it from. If they can't see a solicitor at Citizens Advice or find one that deals with these issues.

Just because the warranty has run out does not mean you would not have a claim against Vauxhall, but you need to get advice. The first bit of advice would be to obtain a fully detailed engineers report and to submit this to Vauxhall if it points to a manufacturing fault. You have certain consumer rights regarding such faults, as a product should have been produced to last a reasonable period of time.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Don't worry about it, I've left the one for him but he hasn't been here since October probably because he realised that he can't bull people and is a front that does nothing.

why do they say its the particulate filter???, that works similar to a catalyst in many ways ( im simplifing this there for the benefit of people here), what you experianced is classic signs of turbo failure, the turbo seals can fail allowing engine oil directly into the combustion chamber so the engine then runs directly on oil ( remember a diesel engine is designed to run on oil because thats what deisel is), anyway one this seal bypass occures in the turbo the engine revs will rise very quickly due to oil effectly pourinng into the chambers and the faster it goes the more is taken in and within a few seconds can rise till the rev counter is going off the scale and even if you remove key from ignition it will continue running ( because oil ahs direct route into cylinders) usually the engine can run either untill all of it engine oil is consumed so its no longer recieving a fuel source or sometimes head gasket failure occures meaning drop in cylinder compression so oil can longer be compressed enough to fire, the only way of stopping an engine in this case is by stalling it but even that can be difficult and most wont realise that anyway, YOU have all classic signs of this problem and i have seen results many many times over the years and can happen to any deisel car ( servicing has no bearing on trying to avoid the problem as the turbo is a non serviceable item) on occassions we see sign of oil leak around turbo or inside pipework which we then report to owners that it may the beginning of a turbo related fault but then its upto them if they want further investigation but its certainly not part of service schedule though, sounds to me like vauxhall avoiding obligation to repair under the warrenty period as they should do, stick to your guns and make em sort it for you

what you experianced is classic signs of turbo failure, the turbo seals can fail allowing engine oil directly into the combustion chamber so the engine then runs directly on oil

This ^^ The DPF is highly unlikely to be the main source of this problem. With the key out there is no diesel being pumped into the engine, therefore the car must be using another fuel source to run, this is usually engine oil from either the turbo as described, or from the sump via failed rings. Stalling the engine, or depriving its air is the only way of stopping it ie stuffing rags into airbox, or exhaust. Otherwise it usually stops when the oil in the sump runs out, and the bearings melt. - its usually fatal to the engine either way.

Get an independant report on the failure, then go back to the garage you purchased the vehicle from. They have an obligation under the SOGA to ensure that the goods supplied would resonably be expected to last. (You can claim upto six years in UK law).

Assuming you have taken resonable care of the goods, ie serviced it to the manufactures specifications, including the correct type of oil then you should expect a repair or replacement, or to have a partial refund.

Stick to your guns, and do not pay.

This ^^ The DPF is highly unlikely to be the main source of this problem. With the key out there is no diesel being pumped into the engine, therefore the car must be using another fuel source to run, this is usually engine oil from either the turbo as described, or from the sump via failed rings. Stalling the engine, or depriving its air is the only way of stopping it ie stuffing rags into airbox, or exhaust. Otherwise it usually stops when the oil in the sump runs out, and the bearings melt. - its usually fatal to the engine either way.

Get an independant report on the failure, then go back to the garage you purchased the vehicle from. They have an obligation under the SOGA to ensure that the goods supplied would resonably be expected to last. (You can claim upto six years in UK law).

Assuming you have taken resonable care of the goods, ie serviced it to the manufactures specifications, including the correct type of oil then you should expect a repair or replacement, or to have a partial refund.

Stick to your guns, and do not pay.

to inestigate this kind of failure could cost around £400 to have it done properly.... who do you suggest pays that?

to inestigate this kind of failure could cost around £400 to have it done properly.... who do you suggest pays that?

Owner of vehicle will have to pay for investigation. When the replacement engine is going to cost you £3000... £400 doesn't seem like a bad investment! Especially where the claim of a failed DPF doesn't really match up with the events described.

Owner of vehicle will have to pay for investigation. When the replacement engine is going to cost you £3000... £400 doesn't seem like a bad investment! Especially where the claim of a failed DPF doesn't really match up with the events described.

On a 3 year old car with only 28k on the clock? Erm, let me think.... If we get the opportunity, I would certainly like to see if VX Max has an opinion! As you know on a similar thread involving an Alfa, they have already done the investigation, dropped the engine and seem to be getting on with the repairs without (so far) incurring any cost to that OP.

if turbo failure is proved you really shouldnt pay anything and i would be very surprised if your problems are not from turbo, they can tell if turbo is knackerd in an hour or so , i cant see why they dont, im a mechanic and thats all it would take me,

Further to what I said about the similar Alfa issue to this one, (post #15), Alfa has sorted it all at no cost or hassle to the OP. Lets hope that VX Max takes note and gets VX to follow Alfa's example and assist this OP with the same quality of service. Mind you, the OP in that case, didn't even have to ask for his car to be sorted or investigated... his dealer did it on their own intiative! Come on VX, pull you finger out on thsi one!