Outdoor table at Asda

edwardw

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3711 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Wondering if you can help me.

I recently purchased an outdoor table at Asda,

After spending £125 on this outdoor table, it wouldn't fit in my car in the box, so the asda staff kindly took it out of the box and put it in my car.

Getting rid of the box, and apparently the instructions with it too.

A few weeks after setting the table up outside, it rained for the first time, and the "outdoor" table started to rust on top where the metal mesh is, im not sure why as its all painted and sealed, but it has!

After seeing this, i emailed asda via their website and advised of the above.

They suggested a couple of things such as, i should have kept the box ( despite the fact that it wouldn't fit in my car!)

And that after keeping the box, i should store it suitably, in the cardboard box (which would involve taking the table and chairs down (took at least 2 hours to put it up properly) and then put it back up when its stopped raining.

Their main defense was that on the box it has a warning stating that it should be suitably covered/protected. I argued that an outdoor table shouldn't go rusty when left outdoors

I advised them that i didn't have the box and therefore could not see the warning on this box.

Again they advised that there was nothing else they could do, due to this warning.

I have emailed at least 4 times, asking to speak to a manager, and still get the same response.

So im here, asking for what the next steps i can take are?

Is there some ombudsman for the supermarkets that i can compain to?

Also i paid for this on a visa debit card, i understand that offers some protection with chargebacks for faulty goods?

Anyone help me

Cheers

Compose a written letter to the store, stating that you are rejecting the goods under the sale of goods act 1979 as unfit for purpose.

Fact is, outdoor furniture should be durable enough to be left outside. If your outdoor table is damaged by rain then it's clearly not fit for the purpose for which it was sold.

Use this template letter, fill in the blanks and send via recorded delivery.

https://consumer-tools.direct.gov.uk/consumer-advice/template_letters/SGA1979/

Please note;

I am not a legally qualified solicitor and all my advice is based on my past experiences in the relevant field. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidance only.

I would always recommend to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

i used to work for asda and i would sugguest take it back to the store with receipt first of all. just say the box was thrown out as its just not practical to keep all boxes for products. then i would do what cardiff devil suggests.

Never mind the box. The bigger issue is the crap they sell. I would get back to Asda with the following question:

"Please clarify. Is it therefore your intention, to continue to supply goods that are obviously unfit for the advertised purpose?"

Yours sincerely.