caught using same anytime return ticket a second time

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4654 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello...

I am getting straight into the point.

Last month I was caught using an any time return ticket which used previously for half part of the journey thinking I could save some money.

Those people just took my details and said i would get a letter.

But till know I haven't received any letter.

Actually am very nervous about consequences.

So can anyone please suggest me what would be the consequences...

Than Q

welcome along

i think this can easily be coverd by the std grovel letter

awaitthe letter , then comeback here

each case can sometimes be slighly diff

have a read of a few threads here

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I appreciate you're getting straight to the point here,

but I'm a little confused at what has occured.

Are you saying you bought a return ticket, used it, and then re-used it?

I suggest you sit it out until the letter arrives (it tends to take 6-8 weeks typically, depending on the TOC's workload etc).

Once the letter arrives you'll need to respond accordingly.

As has been said, the standard reply needs to be one of remorse (especially if it wasn't an honest mistake), and offer to cover all reasonable costs in order to stay out of court.

I would imagine the letter will inform you of their intention to prosecute, more than likely under Section 5.3(a) Regulation of Railways Act 1889, which carries a maximum sentence of 3-months in prison and/or £1,000 fine.

Don't fear though, as typically speaking, should it go to court you'll not be going to prison, and the fine wont be anywhere near £1,000 unless you're very persistant, and very wealthy! Bear in mind this charge is the worst case scenario, and may not be their intended legislation.

Which train operator was it?

Hi first of all thanks for ur reply..

It was South Eastern and I was travelling from luton to Gillingham

and used it till london once and after few days I used it to get back to gillingham...

Hello there. I'm confused by this, so the guys may be too.

How many times did you use this return ticket please and which journeys did you make?

Your reply reads as if you did Luton to London for your first journey.

Did you travel back?

And after that, what did you do please?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

In short cut I have used that ticket twice as it was any time return in a month[

i.e., once I have used for half part and went back and second time I have used for whole journey where I was caught].

Hello again. I don't think short cut is going to help the guys to advise you.

Are you sure you understood the meaning of any time return?

It may help you if you answer the questions I asked in post #5.

My best, HB

Hello HB,

I know the meaning of any time return[which must be used only once].

But unfortunately I used the same ticket twice

[which I have used previously]

thinking I could save some money but caught.

Hello again. Thank you for that. The guys will tell you more when they're able to come on the forum. I guess the train company aren't too happy about you trying not to pay the fare, which is covered quite widely on this forum. If you want to do some reading, there are plenty of threads for you. As stigy said, the letter is likely to take some weeks to arrive.

Please bear with us, I expect the guys will be along later.

HB

This is a straightforward attempt to avoid a fare contrary to Section 5 of The Regulation of Railways Act (1889).

You would be best waiting until you receive the letter from the TOC and then replying with a grovelling apology, promising never to travel without a valid ticket again and asking if you can be allowed to make recompense to the Rail Company to avoid Court action by offering to pay the fare and all of the costs incurred by the company in dealiong with your misdemeanour.

They don't have to agree, but it is the best hope that you have of avoiding a conviction for attemted fare evasion.

A rare chance to take the 'p' out of Codja!

His suggestions are spot on. When you do write to a prosecutor, or a Court, read your letter back to yourself before posting it. If you have just made a long journey from an exotic holiday, or perhaps enjoyed some very fine wine, simple mistakes will creep in. If writing is not your strongest talent, it may be wise to get a trusted mate to look it over.

Avoid language that you would not normally use, no one 'proceeds in a northerly direction up the A20' we actually 'drive from A to B', and the Court, or the prosecution team will be looking for sincerity rather than complex grammar.

(It may be that I have just 'proceeded up the A20', now I wish that I was proceeding in a southerly direction along that wonderful road, several years in Limoges must be better than a few days in Basildon Magistrates Court. Ho hum.)

Lol...returning from hols and a drop of the good stuff has a dreadful effect on one's concentration.

Absolutely right though, proof reading your responses before sending (or posting) is essential.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Every One ,

It's been around 8 week since I was caught but I did not get any letter yet.

What should I do now.

Do I need to contact them or should I wait for some more time.

Am planning to change to a new address.

So can anyone suggest me best possible solution.

Thank Q.

Hi vaarun

You don't need to post the same message 5 times.

Hello again vaarun. Fwiw, if you don't get an answer the first time, just type bump' as a reply to your thread. That means 'bring up my post' and will put your thread back at the top of the list. And if someone knows the answer, they will answer you.

As far as I know, the advice is to wait for the letter, however long it takes. It could be that the department is busy through volume of work and/or people being on holiday. I don't know they've written to you already, because the guys always say that if you don't have the name of someone or a reference, the TOC may well not be able to tie you up with the case if you contact them.

Are you planning to have mail forwarded when you move? That way, any correspondence will reach you. The post office can organise it for you, rather than you relying on someone else.

The guys will confirm if I've missed anything or got it wrong; I don't know what the consequence of not telling them where you are would be.

My best, HB