Uplifting ESA story :-)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4709 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,I just hsd to share this story with you all.......

Standing chatting at the Asda checkout with the cashier and we got onto the subject of petrol prices, when he explained that he was being hit as he had no choice but to drive as he is physically disabled. He went on to say that its a motability car and we got onto the subject of DLA and ESA (which I know a small amount about having read some of the threads on here). He was put onto ESA a while ago and was put into the support group, in his words the best thing that ever happened to him! He was sent on a confidence course and then put forward for the asda job, which to his delight he was accepted for. In his words "I would never have imagined I could work given my disabilities".

He said Asda have been more than helpful, giving him additional time on his breaks to get up and down the stairs to the staff room and ensuring he is only given tasks that he can physically manage. Good for you asda!

This is a young man who cant be more than 20 who has cerebral palsy and needs special hand controls to drive his car, the support group and attendant courses etc have changed his life around. I went away with the biggest smile on my life, this guy is an inspiration!

I shall be writing to Asda to congratulate them on their forward thinking and inclusion policy, thought it would be nice to share a success story on this forum for once :-)

Yes our local sainsburys has a few disabled people working there, including one chap with learning difficulties. He takes customer service very seriously and has developed a series of friendly questions to ask people at the checkout, like 'are you having a good day', etc, though he does forget to wait for the answers before going on to the next question. When I used to do shopping (haven't been able to for a while) I used to see some people avoiding his till which made me angry. He's a very nice lad, works really hard, and takes his job seriously and both he and sainsburys should be congratulated - it would have been easy for him not to work and be on ESA, and it would have been easy for sainsburys not to give him an opportunity.