Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Thanks for your advice. They didn't really reduce her bill when putting her on the rolling contract. She's emailed BT to complain as well about £800 fee. She will have to check where she stands with her mobile contract given she is still paying each month as she still needs to have a mobile phone for emergencies. A lesson on how careful you have to be when changing providers
    • forget CAB you might as well phone bt back as thats about as useless as they'll be.   you can't have a rolling 24mts contract', bt rolling contracts are month to month only, thats an industrywide accepted definition of what rolling means.   what happened here is she earlier changed her 'package' removing skt to reduce costs. as with all providers that invoked = means she entered into a new 24mts contract.   she latterly phone to cancel that contract, and thus bt charged her the cancellation fee/loss of revenue over the raining months of the contract.   the fact that she owes them 'this money' but didn't pay it, then entitled them sadly to cancel the mobile contract, which sadly again they allowed to do.   rock and a hard place if she wants to keep the same mobile number.   Or as long as her phone is not imie blocked by bt (in otherwords she purchased from BT under the mobile contract) but simply locked to BT (which is easily gotten around for a small fee at many shops/market stalls or if someone is tech savvy follow the guides on youtube to unlock the phone for an even smaller fee. and wack a new sim in it.   as for the £800 bill simply ignore them. they'll sell the debt on  and if anyone like Lowells or anyother powerless DCA debt buyer wants to do court, it's easily defended we've not lost one case like that here.        
    • The 1st 2 calls were the normal scam calls. get a truecall box   the PDC stuff you ignore their letter States our client three whom if you wanted too you deal with directly.   Until/unless whenever it gets sold on too and they eventually send a letter of claim you maintain radio silence    
    • hi all. bit of advice please. I had a Three contract up until November last year. At £11pcm for 24mths. Paid every month on time via their online portal. When I ported over, I received a letter from Three thanking me for being a customer blah blah blah.. It also said IF I owed anything a final bill will be sent. No final bill ever received - I get a phone call around the first week in December form an Indian sounding man who was extremly difficult to understand. Said he was calling from Three, and wanted me to confirm my details - something of which I didnt as something didnt sit right. He said I could log into my account and review my bill as I owed money and then hung up. After the call I thought I'd best log into my account just in case.  Couldnt log in. Account access denied. Logged on to chat - they said as I ported over and I was no longer a customer my access was suspended. Couple of weeks later I had another call from a local area number and answered again it was some Indian guy telling me I owed money, wanting me to confirm details. I refused and he said details will be sent out to me to my email on account and my home address as it was important. Once again nothing.. 15th Dec I received an email from PastDue in my name RE Three. Email stated they were contacting me about Three an I should receive a letter soon regards to this matter. Says about visiting their website.  22nd Jan another email form Pastdue. Stating they have yet to receive a response to the letter, and they had already sent me an email about this. We will continue to contact you until this matter is resolved. Again asks me to login. 23rd Jan letter received dated 13th Jan. Titled "We are here to help keep your Three Services"  Claiming I owed "Airetime Balance £201.43" and contract period was 26/11/2019 to 25/11/2020 States "We have been appointed by Three to recover the amount of £201.43. If you pay this amount in full Three may be able to waive the cancellation fee and reconnect their service for you" - what cancellation fee / re connection??? I ended the contract giving the 30days notice and paying the last bill.. Then the normal crap about its important to pay. If I'm experiencing difficulties etc. Now both December and  January Credit reports from ClearScore, Credit Karma, Credit Expert, Totally Money and Equifax all show Three as Closed and balance as Zero. (Date Satisfied /closed 17th Nov, bal 0, last updated 30th Nov) I've had nothing from Three. As far as I'm concerned I owe nothing as no final bill and no access to the portal. Should I email PastDue and do a prove it & attach proof of Credit Reports being £0 or do I do something else?  
  • Our picks

    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
        • Like
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.
      I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.
      In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 
      In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.
      In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.
      To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.
      So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.
      Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!
        • Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies

Imminent Court Hearing - Howard Cohen (Santander) PLEASE Help

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3412 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Consent Orders


Even where proceedings are commenced, most disputes settle on agreed terms rather than proceed to be determined at trial. Where parties reach agreement a Consent Order can be filed at court recording the terms of the agreement. This will enable the proceedings to be disposed of and all a party (if necessary) to enforce the terms of agreement recorded in the Consent Order simply by making an application to the court without the need to commence a fresh claim for breach of the compromise agreement.


Entering a Consent Order without the permission of the court.


Part 40 contains a procedure that allows a court officer to enter and seal a consent order as an administrative, rather than a judicial act. In order to invoke this procedure the following conditions must be satisfied.


(a) The judgement or order is of a type set out in r 40.6 (see below)

(b) None of the parties is Litigant in Person.


If those conditions are satisfied a court officer may enter and seal the following orders and judgements agreed by consent.


1, The dismissal of any proceedings wholly or in part.

2, The stay of proceedings on agreed terms, disposing of the proceedings, whether those terms are recorded in a schedule to the order or elsewhere.

3, The stay of enforcement of a judgement either unconditionally or on a condition that the money due under the judgement is paid by instalments specified in the order.

4, The setting aside under Part 13 of a default judgement that has not been satisfied.

5, The discharge from liability of any party.


However, if the consent order appears to be unclear or incorrect, the court officer may refer it to a judge for consideration (PD 40B, paragraph 2)


Applying for a consent order to be entered at the court


In all other cases where the provision of r 40.6 (2) do not apply, the parties can apply to the court for a consent order to be made in the agreed terms, r 40.6 (5). As the terms of the order or judgement are agreed, the court will usually deal with the application without a hearing (r 40.6 (6).


The application notice (N244) requesting judgement of an order in the terms of the consent order must be filed with the consent order, and the consent order must be drawn so that the Judge’s name and judicial title can be inserted (PD 40B, paragraph 3.3)


Form of Consent Order


All consent orders to be filed at court must be drawn up in the terms agreed and must be expressed as being "By Consent". A consent order must be signed by each parties legal representative, or by the party if acting in person r 40.6 (7).


Tomlin Orders


If the parties agree terms of settlement that includes matters outside of the dispute, or orders which the court has no power to make, the parties can record those terms and attach them as a schedule to the consent order, or refer to their existence in another document, and apply for an order staying proceedings on the agreed terms. Such an order is known as a "Tomlin Order" after the name of the judge who first suggested it.


A Tomlin Order allows the parties to agree additional terms, such as a confidentially clause which the court has no power to order.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Debs,


cohens "consent order" is not worth the paper it is written on, it is merely a ploy to make you sign and then make payments, people seem unaware those payments are then used as evidence you acknowledge the debt as owed to them.


Unless you have stated in writing to claimant and the court you are acting on your own behalf, you are classed as Litigant in Person, this means you are prohibited from signing the consent order and an "officer of the court" cannot enter or seal the document.


In any event cohen has to file an application (N244) with the consent order, of which, they are duty bound to serve you a copy of, this costs cohen a minimum £40.


There is also the time scale, your case is listed for 28th, cohen has insufficent time to file and serve before the hearing, cohen has no intention of doing so anyway, what cohen does is write to the court saying the case has been settled and to remove the case from the listings.


What you can do is use cohens "consent order" against them, they agreed settlement under the terms you offered, £10 per month, you can write to the court requesting the hearing be adjourned 30 days to agree final terms of settlement, send a copy of this to cohen.


Enclose a copy of cohens "consent order" to the court explaining whilst a settlement has been agreed in princible, the consent order drafted by the claimants solicitor Howard Cohen & Co, listing all the flaws, does not comply with CPR 40.


cohen will choke.


happy to help if you need any drafts for te court.



Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fantastic Edge, I am so grateful for your reply. I thought it looked a bit sus, but really had no idea.


It would be grerat if you could help me with the draft for the court, I am a total novice at all this.


Thanks so much again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi again, sorry to be a pain, but the court hearing is on the 28th, so I assume I need to get this letter to them asap. I have no idea what i'm supposed to write to the court, so if you could help I would be grateful.


Thanks again.


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Debs and Consumeredge,


Can you keep as much as poss on-thread please to help others in similar situations.





We could do with some help from you

                                                                PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING



                                            Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.


Thanks !:-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Slick :-)


I sent this reply yesterday to HC and recieved a reply within minutes. Will post below.


Dear Mr. Moorhouse

I’m sure the court will be curious as to why my offer of £10 per month, acknowledged by yourselves as far back as March 2011, is now only willing to be accepted, albeit under the pretext

" In an effort to bring this matter to a satisfactory conclusion without the necessity of further costs or further court action"


I remind you on the 31st May 2011 you yourself stated in order to consider my offer, you required within 7 days some medical evidence, this was duly provided to you on the 5th June 2011.

As to your letter dated 14th June 2011 received on the 16th June 2011, whilst I agree in principle to reaching settlement by way of a consent order, I bring to your attention the following:

Civil Procedure Rule Part 40, the procedure that allows a court officer to enter and seal a consent order as an administrative, rather than a judicial act.


Firstly, in order to invoke this procedure the following conditions must be satisfied.


The judgement or order is of a type set out in r 40.6

None of the parties is Litigant in Person.

If those conditions are satisfied only then can a court officer enter and seal orders agreed by consent.

As you well know, I am Litigant in Person and prohibited by r 40.6 (2) from signing the documents you have supplied, therefore the claimant’s solicitor must apply to the court for the consent order to

be made in the agreed terms, r 40.6 (5).

An application notice (N244) requesting judgement of the order in the terms of the consent order must be filed at the court and a copy served upon me together with a copy of the consent order, and

the consent order must be drawn so that the Judge’s name and judicial title can be inserted (PD 40B, paragraph 3.3).

It is also noted that whilst your order states there be no order as to costs, you have in fact included these, neither is there a copy of the schedule stated as "Attached hereto".


With the hearing set for next Tuesday 28th June 2011, when considering all events, I believe there is case for unreasonable Behaviour against yourselves, and that you write to the court requesting

the hearing be adjourned for 30 days to enable yourselves to prepare to correct documentation and procedure for settlement.


Failure to do so I shall attend the hearing, submit all correspondence including your "by consent" and ask the court myself the hearing be adjourned until such time you supply said documentation

and comply with the Civil Procedure Rules.


I have also sent a copy of this email by registered post to your office. I trust this clarify matters and look forward to your reply.


Yours Sincerely


The Reply came back 17 minutes later.



Please accept this email as confirmation of receipt of your email dated 22 June 2011.

I can confirm that the consent order which you have received is for both parties to sign. Upon receipt of the signed consent order , I can confirm that the consent order will be lodged at the court and a request made for this matter to be referred to a District Judge for consideration.

Therefore, I would appreciate if you could call me today on 01274 853 241 to enable us to discuss this matter further

I trust that this is in order and look forward to your call

Yours sincerely

Andy Moorhouse

Link to post
Share on other sites

Consumeredge has asked for a copy of the summons, does this mean the court papers? And also the witness statements, so I will tag them here.




There were no statements attached or Income and Expense forms as stated when i recieved the original copy of this letter. Only the dodgy looking Credit Agreement with a completely different Account number (barely legible) on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the Witness statements I received along with another copy of the 'Credit Agreement' and some typewritten (about 4 sheets) notes that were supposed to be my statements?? with 2 months on each of them.









Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Debs last posted Thursday 23rd June 2011, with the hearing due 10am Tuesday 28th June a Statement of Truth was prepared and submitted to the court on Friday 24th, outlining the history whereby a continual offer to repay the outstanding balance to the Claimant (Santander) at £10 per month had existed previous to March 2011, the offer of settlement remained. It was stated that whilst Debs was in agreement in princible to settle by way of a consent order, the consent order Howard Cohen & Co drafted did not comply with CPR 40, it was also stated that Debs being Lip was prohibited to sign. It was requested the court adjourn the hearing for 30 days in order that Howard Cohen comply with the Civil Procedure Rules and settlement could be reached.


A copy of the statement of truth was emailed to Andrew Moorhouse on the same day.


A consent order that complied with CPR 40 was drafted and sent to Andrew Moorhouse Monday 27th June 2011, it was stated if Howard Cohen were in agreement, to make 2 further copies, sign them all and return for Debs to place before her legal representative to sign on her behalf.


It was made clear, once the documents are recieved and then signed by Debs solicitor, all 3 copies would be returned to Howard Cohen & Co with a letter for the court that Debs was in agreement with the terms of the consent order.


Howard Cohen & Co would then be obliged to file and serve an application to the court to have the consent order signed and sealed, upon recieving Debs copy of the consent order from the court signed by the District Judge, and the General form of Judgement, payment would commence to the Claimant (Santander) 14 days thereafter.


Howard Cohen & Co were advised it is a very simple matter to fax the court and request the hearing be adjourned for 30 days for settlement to be enacted.


Andrew Moorhouse recieved this Monday 9am 27th June 2011, Andrew Moorhouse replied by email at 2:15pm.


3 copies of the Consent Order were attached, signed by Howard Cohen & Co, including their full buisness address and SRA number, Andrew Moorhouse stated the court had been contacted, the matter was refered to the District Judge who agreed 28 days for the consent order to be signed and returned. The hearing was vacated.


Debs is now in the process of having the consent orders signed by her solicitor, they will then be returned by recorded delivery to Howard Cohen & Co.


Once the case is concluded Debs will post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi CE and thanks for the update which is useful for those following this case's progress.


Look fwd to hearing further from Debs.



We could do with some help from you

                                                                PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING



                                            Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.


Thanks !:-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...