Jump to content


Credit card joint liability


martinwhite
 Share

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

 

Please click the "Report " link

 

at the bottom of one of the posts.

 

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

 

Thanks

Recommended Posts

A little known way of getting your own back on them some more....

 

If you have a dispute with a retailer or service provider, and you paid by credit card, your credit card company is jointly responsible for resolving the situation.

 

The parameters are that the purchase is for more than £100 and not more than £30 000. So you could buy a car on credit card and chase them when it turns out to be a lemon.

 

So if you've been ripped off or are unstatisfied, and attempts to get satisfaction with the retailer/service provider have got you nowhere, get on the credit card's case and make them responsible for sorting it.

 

However, this does not apply when you use the cheques that some credit card companies provide. Or if your purchase is overseas.

 

Consumer Credit Act 1974 s75

http://www.oft.gov.uk/News/Press+releases/2004/186-04.htm

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how true this is, but I read somewhere recently that credit card companies will soon have to provide cover for overseas purchases too (some already provide cover for purchases in Europe at least)

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

This is true. I bought a coat that was of sub standard material from a boutique style shop. I retured it to the shop only to be told by the snotty owner that I couldn't have my money back, I could have a credit note or choose something else.

 

Infuriated, I telephone Trading Standards who told me as I had paid on my Barclaycard and the item was over £100 they had equal liabiliy under the credit consumer act.

 

They suggested in the first instance I put it in writing and also complain to Barclaycard, which I did.

 

Needless to say they obviously rang the shop and gave the owner an arse kicking and I received a very grovelly phone call from her asking me to come back to the shop for a full refund, which now she would be happy to give me.

 

HA!! Also I told everyone I know about their total lack of customer service and I heard her profits had plumetted!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Using my credit card, I paid 3 years up front to an ISP for a broad band sevice. After about one months use the company went into liquidation saying that I could claim a refund of charges from a third party. My attempt at getting a refund was unsuccessful as I was never able to establish communication with the third party.

 

I recently heard that my credit card company may be jointly responsible for my loss, but does anyone know if there is a time limit in claiming this as the service was paid for this time 2 years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Using my credit card, I paid 3 years up front to an ISP for a broad band sevice. After about one months use the company went into liquidation saying that I could claim a refund of charges from a third party. My attempt at getting a refund was unsuccessful as I was never able to establish communication with the third party.

 

I recently heard that my credit card company may be jointly responsible for my loss, but does anyone know if there is a time limit in claiming this as the service was paid for this time 2 years ago.

 

No time limit. You will get back all the money you paid from your ccc less the one month service that was provided.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A little known way of getting your own back on them some more....

 

If you have a dispute with a retailer or service provider, and you paid by credit card, your credit card company is jointly responsible for resolving the situation.

 

The parameters are that the purchase is for more than £100 and not more than £30 000. So you could buy a car on credit card and chase them when it turns out to be a lemon.

 

So if you've been ripped off or are unstatisfied, and attempts to get satisfaction with the retailer/service provider have got you nowhere, get on the credit card's case and make them responsible for sorting it.

 

However, this does not apply when you use the cheques that some credit card companies provide. Or if your purchase is overseas.

 

Consumer Credit Act 1974 s75

http://www.oft.gov.uk/News/Press+releases/2004/186-04.htm

 

Not quite the case with the example you have given with regards to a car.

 

Equal Liability, not Joint, is based upon your cc provider being responsible for a purchase going wrong if you have paid by cc.

 

It will be basically classed as Breach of Contract and/or Misrepresentation and it will be much easier to get your money back if the retailer you purchased from has gone bust.

 

However, the cc company are not responsible for resolving a dispute, they are responsible for the money involved. Therefore, it will be up to you to try and resolve with the retailer and it may include having to go to court to prove the retailer has breached a contract or misrepresented.

 

Then you can claim the ccc are of equal liability.

 

It is also the case for overseas purchases too. Visa and Mastercard are global.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I had an issue with a purchase MBNA did all the negotiating with the retailer for me (because I was getting nowhere) and the retailer ended up refunding 80%, the CC the other 20%, thank heaven I paid by CC or I would have had no refund...

Poppynurse :)

 

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I had an issue with a purchase MBNA did all the negotiating with the retailer for me (because I was getting nowhere) and the retailer ended up refunding 80%, the CC the other 20%, thank heaven I paid by CC or I would have had no refund...

 

Yes, some will differ.

 

Halifax did everything for me in my claim but Egg gave me the run around and I did everything and then they paid up.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Dear forum

I booked a holiday with freedom direct to turkey. I paid in full with my halifax credit card which is a master card.

Freedom Direct have gone bust and have been taken over by hays travel.

I was informed today, Freedom Direct paid for my flights but never paid for my accommodation. Hays travel told me my credit card company should pay me back. i have called Halifax three times now and on each time been told they are not able to pay me back and purchase protection does not excist any longer and no credit card provider is liable.

I only paid on my card thinking if anything went wrong i may be covered.

i have had to pay a further £908.00 to hays to provide me with a hotel. because the flights had been paid i have to take them or i will lose the money on them as they are not affected.

can anyone help with info please

I am sure there is some thing within the consumer credit act specifically for this issue.

Can anyone who has had this kind of experience or offer expertise in this matter to help me please.

 

many thanks

 

Caz:sad:

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 9 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

 

Please click the "Report " link

 

at the bottom of one of the posts.

 

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

 

Thanks

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?


×
×
  • Create New...