ATOS ASSESMENT Confused HELP!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4705 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently completed an ESA50 which I sent back a few weeks ago. I received a letter begining of this week to say that I would have to attend a Medical on the 13th June.

Iv'e been very distressed because of this.

Strangely I have received a letter today to say that my medical has been cancelled and file returned back to the DWP.

Could any of you helpful people on here advise me of what this means. Does this mean my benefit will stop or did I complete the ESA50 incorrectly.

I've been in the support group for the past year after winning my appeal at tribunal. This whole re-assesment thing has already started to impact my health.

Hello there, welcome to the forum.

Leemack has a good sticky about the 'medical' assessment. Could I suggest you start there and come back if you have more questions? I have a sticky as well about the appeals and tribunals process if you want to move on to that afterwards.

To find stickies, come out of this thread into the forum titles page. Scroll up to the yellow section and you'll see the stickies.

Don't worry unduly, it takes a while to get to grips with it. Take your time and let us know what you're confused about.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

What you've said the letter states doesn't really give us much clues. Does the letter say anything else? If so, it may help if you relay the entire contents of the letter. Can you scan a copy up (removing personal details) or type it up word for word, again omitting any personal details?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I recently completed an ESA50 which I sent back a few weeks ago. I received a letter begining of this week to say that I would have to attend a Medical on the 13th June.

Iv'e been very distressed because of this.

Strangely I have received a letter today to say that my medical has been cancelled and file returned back to the DWP.

Could any of you helpful people on here advise me of what this means. Does this mean my benefit will stop or did I complete the ESA50 incorrectly.

I've been in the support group for the past year after winning my appeal at tribunal. This whole re-assesment thing has already started to impact my health.

This could mean a few things - but certainly would not mean you completed the ESA50 incorrectly, I could not see any reason to cancel the medical because of that.

If I had to guess, a likely explanation might be error, or that information received - possibly from the GP, indicated that either you're in a group not required to attend a medical, or have automatically qualified for the support group. Without knowing more about your medical conditions, its hard to tell.

The only time I had a client who had their medical cancelled and was told they did not have to attend one, had qualified for the support group under one of the exemptions.

There could easily be another explanation, so don't bank on this. Your best course of action is to contact the DWP to find out why.

this is exact word to word of the letter I received.

Dear XXXXXX

We recently asked you to attend an examination on 13/06/11 @ 13:00

at:-

MWB Business Exchange

1 Whitehall

Whitehall Road

Leeds

West Yorkshire

LS1 4HR

Unfortunately, we have had to cancel this appointment.

It is no longer necessary for you to attend an examination at present. Your file has been returned to your local security office.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to contact us at the above telephone number.

Yours sincerely

(name of person)

resource team

Also what the strange thing is that with the questionnaire the only thing i sent was copies of discharge forms for overdose admissions. They have not contacted my GP and I have also changed my GP which I advised DWP of.

Looking at the timescale between sending the ESA50 and receiving the appointment it seems highly unlikely they would have been able to get anything from the GP and this letter has just come after 4 days of receivng the above letter.

Hello again. I'm sorry, I think I misunderstood what you said in your first post and told you irrelevant stuff.

This has happened before to people on the forum about assessments being cancelled, although from that letter I wouldn't know whether there won't be a medical or they might ask again in the future.

My best, HB

Ahh, this makes more sense to me now. I've seen that letter before. What has happened in cases I've dealt with is that the claimants remained in the support group, with no changes to their ESA. They probably had already written to your GP and hadn't had a response within the time frame they set so sent you the ESA50 for completion, then afterward received a belated response from your GP which contained the information needed to exclude you from the medical.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

It is very strange thought 1st to put you through so much stress thinking your going to have to attend a medical then cancelling it saying it is no longer required.

I spoke the Old GP the one I named on the ESA50 he advised that he didnt not send anything and also even if the dwp did contact us, we would not be able to give any information as we no longer have your records as I am no longer their patient.

My new GP which I just registered with after sending the ESA50 have also not sent anything so that is why i am so confused and anxious.

I feel realy suicidal right now think I am about to go crazy and the worst thing is I can't speak to DWP till tuesday thankz to the bank holiday.

Edited by ESAHeadache

It is very strange thought 1st to put you through so much stress thinking your going to have to attend a medical then cancelling it saying it is no longer required.

I spoke the Old GP the one I named on the ESA50 they advised we didnt not send anything and they no longer have my records as I am no longer their patient.

My new GP which I just registered with this after sending the ESA50 have also not sent anything so that is why i am so confused and anxious.

I feel realy suicidal right now think I am about to go crazy and the worst thing is I can't speak to DWP till tuesday thankz to the bank holiday.

I understand that if you have mental health problems then it is difficult to keep calm about the situation. Trust Erika and me, when we say that this does NOT appear to be about your benefit being stopped, it appears to be the opposite - that they have decided to award you benefit and not make you go through the stress of a medical. It may be that the details of overdose admissions was missed initially by the person setting up your medical - but when reviewed by an atos doctor, a decision was made to put you straight into the support group because of your history.

If you are finding this difficult to cope with to the point of self harm, please promise me that you will get some help, phone a friend or family member, your doctor, or mental health services.

Awe Thanks Leemac.

Iv'e hardly slept all night and I just want to get this off my head. Guess the bank holiday aint going to help me much.

I'm just anxious that when I call on tuesday that either they advise me that im no longer in the support group and have been placed in the WRAG group. Which would have serious impact on me or they will say we have not got anything on our notes yet which in that way would impact me because of the stress of not knowing and having to wait which will do me no good

They won't move you from the Support Group to the WRA group without you having a further assessment first. The only reason a medical is not required is when there is no question that a person fits the criteria for the support group. What I said about your GP was just a suggestion - an example of why they may have asked you to attend then cancelled. Leemack has given another suggestion which is probably more likely. In a nutshell for whatever reason, whether they missed information or new information has come to light, they have decided that you do not require a medical. That is a positive thing as it means that your benefit will continue as it is, with you in the support group.

I can't add anything to the excellent advise you've had so far. I know it's difficult, but please try to relax and enjoy the Bank Holiday as best you can. Phone the number the letter suggests on Tuesday and you will have your answer. The chances of having your benefits stopped is so miniscule. Best wishes and do let us know how you get on ...

Update:

I just come out of hospital yesterday, my carer called the DWP and they advised they have not received the file back from ATOS yet once it's back a decision make will look at it and come to a decision. Also were advised there is currently a backlog so will be a few week.

Called ATOS and typical of them they were rude and said well it says on the letter doesn't it. If you want more info call DWP

Hello again. I'm sorry you're going through this when you're just out of hospital.

Maybe someone here will tell you what happens next, or have a bright idea how to move them on yourself. I hope you feel better soon. Please look after yourself and try not to let this dominate your life. You're more important.

HB x