DMC's 'holding on to clients cash' ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4379 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

for info, if not seen already!

abridged;

Some debt management companies have been holding on to clients' cash rather than paying it to creditors, a BBC investigation has found.

The practice has left heavily-indebted families thousands of pounds worse off.

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has condemned the practice as "totally unacceptable" and has promised a crackdown.

One senior figure in the debt management industry says 10,000 people could be in danger from the practice.

If a firm goes out of business and client funds are not kept in a protected account, some or all of the money is likely to be lost.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13568152

Edited by Ford
typo

We do try and get the message out there. You DO NOT have to pay a DMC, there are free services available and with a little effort, people can do their own DMCs.

The fees charged by these companies could be going into paying off debts..

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

bump

also, oft consultation announced re credit brokers and debt management co's.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28004[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Stupidly falling foul to sales patter I paid Gregory Pennington Financial Mangement Company £3700 over a number of years to clear less than £3000 of debt DESPITE being perfectly uptodate with my numerous creditors and having an excellent credit rating . Eventually a friend learned of my arrangement and insisted i contact my original creditors directly .

Then the nightmare began . The £3000 i owed had increased to around £20,000 , i had been defaulted by everyone and my credit rating was in tatters . I cancelled the agreement and spent the next 6 years in poverty paying off the debts (debts i had already overpaid) . 10 years later i still have a poor credit rating which resulted in my accepting a mortgage (the only one i could get) which barely falls short of criminal with regards to charges and interest rate .

Ultimately my joining a financial management company whilst having an A1 credit rating has resulted in a lifetime of acumulated losses .

Send them to prison !

Did you try to recover anything from GP?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Seems to be a common theme my Father was with a DMC (Spectrum) sadly he died a short while ago and we have found out he now owes more than he started with orginally. Its a sad state of affairs, DMC's they need to be completely banned or at the very least severly regulated and scrutinised, some of them are as bad as the DCA's imho

There must be an urgent review of the way these companies exploit

debtors, and with hold payments to creditors, whilst pocketing most of the payments

made.

It's time that the OFT should be looking at debt management licenses in view of this and urgently.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

rondo

just had a brief look at your thread - out of c 23£ p/m -> 4£ to the creditor and 18£ to the dmc! :!:

caggers, beware. if involved with a dmc, check what's going on!

You must complain to OFT and FOS on this give them ALL the figures it's disgusting that

they can get away with this.

Please write to your MP with all the details of the DMA and what has occurred.

hi all

thanks all for posting on this. this is an important issue imo that needs to be highlighted. it's clear that it is not an isolated matter. it's not just the creditors trying to rip us off! the oft have promised a 'crackdown'. hopefully they will deliver!

as brig says, complain officially if you can.

imo

I do not believe there is any ''IF'' to complaining !!!

I do not believe there is any ''IF'' to complaining !!!

:) (semantics? :)) you know what i meant!

Edited by Ford
typo

I this area you can always complain....even failed complaints are recorded.!!!!!!!

for info

one dmc licence recently revoked

http://oft.gov.uk/news-and-updates/press/2011/77-11

Now if only the OFT would deal with the avalanche of threats and intimidation in the same way

thing I think would rapidly improve.

• 3 months later...

Not before time either Ford, there

is a mine field of these vulture

companies springing up all over

the country back street users

out to fleece people who are

already in serious trouble.

interestingly, one of the 'three' is the well known 'The UK Insolvency Helpline' ! (Money Advice Direct)

Edited by Ford
typo

Not before time either Ford, there

is a mine field of these vulture

companies springing up all over

the country back street users

out to fleece people who are

already in serious trouble.

Hi BRIGADIER

Too true

I came across three relatively new outfits in our area only last week (I kid you not)

On the recommendation of a friend a person with serious debts had contacted of one these outfits and was advised that an IVA was the best solution and referred on to an IVA Company after presenting their £250 fee.

After suspicions that he might not have been given lets say ' not excactly what you would call 'independent impartial advice' (it appears that nothing else other than IVA was discussed) he contacted another outfit who then told him that it was bad advice to go for the IVA and that bankruptcy was the best option....the punch line being that they then said "they could help with bankruptcy for a fee of £1000 plus the bankruptcy £175 court costs and the £525 O/R fees"

Further confused and after speaking to another friend he then went to a free advice agency who are now doing his bankruptcy including the forms for free.

Yes it is most definitely still going on and if this turns out to be a trend then despite the OFT so called crackdown, guidelines, protocols or whatever, basically in my opinion they might as well be pxxxxxg in the wind.

It looks like night flight bookings are set to rise again.

People and families in debt along with the stress and worry that goes with it deserve better than this kind of rubbish.

Edited by Wintry

I helped a relative who rushed in to

a DMP for a Welcome debt that had

never been defaulted, but passed to a

DCA, the DMP was taking 66% 0f the

monthly payment, worse than welcomes

interest rates by more than 50%.