UPS lost parcel and Dell customer service (lack of)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3335 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dell computers were sending us a new Dell Streak mobile phone as we had had endless problems with o2 repairing the phone and had gone directly to Dell who assured us that if we sent the phone to them then they would get a new one sent to us. UPS collected the phone and it got there fine. The new one was sent out and they had tried to deliver it to us twice but we were out and the card put through the door said they would deliver the day after. I waited in all that day and and in the evening I contacted them asking where it was. I was told they would contact the driver but it would probably be enroute tomorrow. After waiting in another day, still no phone, i contacted them and they told me that they didnt know where it was and they would 'look for it'. I contacted Dell immediately and informed them of the situation. The tracking information that can be viewed on the internet showed the phone as being at their tamworth service centre and i was given a contact number for tamworth. They said they thought that the package and been sent back after failure of delivery twice but customer services still said that the phone was at tamworth. For three days and endless phone calls noone seem to know where the package was and worse really didnt care that it was missing. In the end they have agreed that the phone is 'lost' and that a tracer was needed to be placed upon it to see all the indvidual scans that the packages go through that are not shown on the internet tracking system. In order for this tracer to be initiated Dell would have to authorise it. I spent three days, 50 quid, trying to get through to any department that knew anything about it of Dell who eventually told me that they would sort it but they didnt see why they had to as UPS have an agreement to chase any of their packages. Only to have an answer machine message from dell america to say that they had looked it up and that it was in tamworth!!!!! i spent another 7 hours on the phone and eventually phoned back UPS who said it was tuff Dell needed to authorise it and their hands were tired (although they tried to tell me at first tamworth had got it). I had had enough I contacted Trading Standards who told me that as Dell sent the package it was their responsibility to find or replace it and to send an written letter to their complaints address which should be on their website. Let me tell you trying to complain to Dell is just about impossible and after searching forums of other complainants of dell on the net I found an email and head office address. The email gave an automated response but within 4hrs the website had changed to tell us that a tracer has been put on the parcel. Apparently the tracer takes up to 8 days for some reason and we are now waiting Again!! Trust me - you will regret dealings with these companies.

Dell have called me back this morning and told us that they are initiating a tracer on the package that will take 8 days, but on the 25th UPS told us that they had already started the tracer and it would take eight days from then (and this shows on UPS tracking system on the internet) When I tried to argue this with Dell they were having none of it and say that they are doing it from today. I asked to spk with a supervisor and tried to explain the problems i have experienced and also told them about the amount of time and money i have spent on phone calls. They say they do not have to reimburse anything and it is the customers responsibility to make sure that things get done. Do companies reimburse such expenses because they are required to or is it out of courtesy when they do?

• 3 years later...

Hi all, hope this is in the right section!

First of all my phone developed a fault. Called HTC and explained it, they said it will be collected the next day (14/01/15) by UPS.

Brown van turned up as expected and collected the package after scanning it. Me thinking 'OK, about 10 days for my phone to return'

Checked UPS tracker next morning (16th) and saw expected delivery 16/01/15 by end of day although the only event on the tracker was the collection scan. That night checked again but tracker had not changed. Left it another 24hrs before checking again - no change. Contacted HTC, was told that it was still in transit. I told them to look at the UPS tracker themselves but was still told by them it was in transit. The next day gave HTC both barrels, phoning and online chat demanding answers as my phone should have been on the repair bench by then. Eventually got an "Escalation Manager" on the phone. Let off steam down the line at him for a short time until he admitted that there could be a small delay (his words). He told me an investigation would be raised with UPS which would take 8-10 days but I was promised regular updates.

There were no updates but my phone turned up at the repair centre on the 29/01/15. No explanation as to where it had been for the two weeks it had been missing.

Now it gets interesting

About 4 days after it arrived I had an emailed invoice from HTC for ''out of warranty repairs'', £124.33 inc delivery and labour. Puzzled as phone was well within warranty. Rang them immediately to find out why I was being charged for a warranty fault (camera stopped working).

"The charge is for parts not covered by the warranty, being LCD screen and digitizer"

"Why a new screen? there was nothing wrong with them it was only a camera fault"

"When the engineer opened the parcel he saw the broken screen and put the phone to one side. An incoice was then generated for you. repairs are on hold until you pay"

After much to and fro from one 'customer service' agent to another and through a few managers I got absolutely.....nowhere. Anyway, still not happy, paid the amount as I wanted my phone back.

Tried phoning UPS UK customer services and my local depot demanding answers about how my phone got lost and where it was for 2 weeks when lost but their agents dont care and didn't even ring back to me when they promised to.

Had a quick google and found some useful email addresses - CEO and Head of European Operations. HaHa!!

Nice long email starting with an apology to them for having to contact them directly but explaining my experiences with the UK staff, following with detailed explanation about my phones journey including having to pay for damage that happened in transit.

Nice email from Corporate Customer Relations expressing apologies and asking for a copy of the invoice. Called HTC - ''We cannot send you an invoice but one will be sent back with the phone"(the online one disappeared when it was paid)

Received my phone back on 24/02/15 - just over a month from when it was sent.

Emailed the invoice to the person who contacted me and 4 days later the brown van was outside with an A4 sized package. looked inside - a cheque. For $124.33. Correct numbers but wrong symbol. Close but no Hamlet.

Emailed said UPS Corporate person pointing out the difference between $ and £.

Nice apologetic email today with news of a second cheque winging its way to me with the remainder of the American equivalent of £124.33!!

Could not fault UPS Corporate department for their service but I bet someone this side of the pond is getting their arse kicked

Thanks for reading.....Only just found this site and picked up a few hints already":-)