Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3471 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Dear All,

I am sorry to ask for help and guidance but i need assistance urgently.

In March 2007, Halifax obtained a suspended possession order against me.

I made the agreed payments and about a year later they capitalised the arrears.

In September last year my left me without any warning leaving me with our disabled daughter. 60% of the household income gone in a flash.

I spoke to my lender and it was agreed that i pay £50 per month until tax credits etc were sorted out.

Tax credits etc eventually sorted out in January this year but by the time I had paid the Gas/Electricity bills and paid the money back that i had borrowed from people I had nothing left to pay off the arrears.

I made my last payment of £50 to Halifax in January,

Since that time, my childs condition has worsened and quite simply i have spent all my time and energy on her[i survive on 4 hours sleep]. I know that this is not a valid excuse - merely an explanation. I am exhausted and presently i am off work with a stress related illness.

I have ignored the telephone/letters from my lender and even the 'home visit'. i have now received the 15 day legal action letter which runs out next Thursday.

I worked out my finances and can afford to pay the monthly payment plus £50 [£350]. I was going to make this payment at my local branch tomorrow.

I really am not well enough to speak to them so I was intending to write to the lender making the above offer and explaiing my present position.

The arrears amount to £2300 - the mortgage is in my sole name.

I have calculated that I am owed in the region of £2000 from DWP and gave them my bank details 3 weeks ago but when i will be paid this is anyones guess. Halifax can have this when i get it.

Can anybody tell me what is going to happen or what i should do? I am desperate and at the end of my tether.

Thank for your help

Hi there, you need to write a letter to the Halifax explaining your situation and making your offer of payment (make sure you send it by recorded delivery and keep a copy of the letter for yourself). If you need help with the letter I'll happily draft one for you.

You should also enclose a budget sheet to show them you have worked out your finances to afford the extra £50 per month. I have affixed the budget sheet we normally use to this post - it calculates automatically as you fill it in.

Have the DWP confirmed you are entitled to a refund?

I am sure, given your circumstances, that they will accept your offer to clear the arrears.

Try not to worry too much (easier said than done, I know), the first step is to get the letter off to them

Budget Sheet.xls

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Ell - enn,

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

I do not have a printer so I will have to write the letter/budget sheet in long hand.

A couple of pointers please - should I apologise to them and explain to them the position with my daughter - I know its a bit of a sob story but it is the truth?

With regard to the DWP, it all relates to my daughters DLA payment. I apoloigise if i shouldn't post the circumtances here.......

My daughter was awarded DLA last year with the payment being made to my wife in September 2010 [backdated to May]

A matter of days after receiving almost £2000 my wife left me leaving me with our daughter.

I eventually managed to get the child tax credits and child benefit transferred to me [supported by a letter signed by my wife confirming that i had sole custody of our daughter] and I eventually received payment in December backdated to November.

According to my wife the last DLA payment she received was in November.

Now I intended to sort out the DLA in the New Year but unfortunately my daughters condition worsened to the point that all my time and energy was spent on her and her problems.

Towards the end of March this year my wife received a call from the DLA people to ask if the claim was continuing and she told them that it should be paid to me. I received a text from the wife asking me to ring DLA which i did. They simply denied the telephone call but I requested that they log my call.

In my presence, my wife rang them again about a week later and demanded to know why our daughter was not getting the benefit she was entitled to. They requested the child benefit number and confirmation of the date i started receiving it. They said they would write to me.

About a week later i received a bank details form with my name, my daughters name and reference pre-printed on it. I completed it and returned it the same day by first class post and due to the fact that i posted it in the same postal district as the return address it should have been delivered the next day.

That was almost 3 weeks ago - no contact or anything since.

Sorry about the rant - not much going right or me at present.

I would feel guilty using this money towrds arrears but please remember that I have already spent more than this on my daughter with no contribution at all from mum.

Sorry once again and thank you for all your help

Sorry once again and thank you

You could go to your library and use the internet there to print off the budget sheet and letter? would you be able to do that?

Have you contacted the DWP to make sure they got the letter you posted 3 weeks ago ?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.