Overpayment of salary from 2008, help with reply

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4718 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I apologise for starting a new thread as there are others on overpayment of salary but though they were a great help I still need a wee bit more advise.

I was a civil servant for some 20 years. I went off sick in August 2008 I didn't return and was dismissed through ill health in March 2009. A few weeks ago I was sent a letter stating I was over paid for the month of September 2008. I asked for a breakdown of these figures but had heard nothing til a court summons arrived this morning. I have phoned back and the break down is on it's way.

Having just got my other debts (Some £20,000) sorted on a plan this is a real blow. I'm told that they will not add a further debt to it. Anyway the amount I owe is for £1,200. While I was off sick I received no pay slips so I couldn't check whether this amount is right. I was only given my pay slips after I was dismissed. I was asked to go to the office to pick up my personal belongings and with them was an envelope containing 7 months pay slips. I gather from the other posts that I will have to pay this money back but I was wondering if there would be anyway I could negotiate a lesser sum as I advised them from the first day of my illness so cant understand how they made an error.

I am still in financial hardship and this is another knock. Any ideas about how to get this sum down would be gratefully received as would any comment on what to do next.

Edited by vivienne1

Hi,

You were dismissed in March 2009, and overpaid for September 2009... and they sent you a letter in April/May 2011?

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

i think they are out of time for reclaiming the over payment anyway, and you certainly do not owe them any money for September 2009 as your employment was terminated in march 2009 so that would itself be a complete defense

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

probably meant 2008?

as being a civil servant dont you get medical cover and coudlnt you get a further six months on half pay?

did they give you notice of the dismisal and pay you for that period, did you approach your union.

Any way you only have to apy back nett overpayment ( gross less deductions ).

Also they would have satisfy you that they did infact overpay you, submit payslips etc.

If you accept what they say you can offer to pay it back, in writing, at a rate that will not cause you hardship ( £1/month )

If they wont accept, inlikely, go to court and take your offer, court usually on your side, especialy if you have made an offer.

good luck.