style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3673 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Friends,

I joined a motor vehicle parts ditribution company as a Branch manager at the end of January 2011,my contract stating that I would be on 6 months probation.The employment carried with it an obligation by the company to undertake my full training.Unfortunately,the real record of a structured training plan has never actually been organised,the branch (and my supposed training) having come under another Branch manager,who has spent an average of one day per week in my branch,supposedly giving me training,in accordance with a training agenda (a formalised training list of responsibilities which is very large).I have expressed dissatisfaction with the training virtually from the first month,but now I am in receipt of a letter from the responsible Branch manager,advising me (after my first 3 months)of dissatisfaction with my performance and finally stating that the company have no confidence in my ability to manage the branch successfully.This is followed by invitation to a meeting with HR to discuss the issues.I feel that I cannot win (due to the fact that the manager concerned is regarded a a serious high flyer) and I interpret the lack of confidence in my abilities (I have been an operational manager for almost 30 years) as being irreversible and will lead to my dismissal.Can anybody advise me of my best course of action?I really do not wish to lose the job and think that given a reasonable amount of time,will settle down and be successful.However,I feel sure that I would be unable to convince my detractors of this truth.Help!!!

John (Blueseric):?::?::?::oops:

Sadly with only a small period of service your options are limited.

In reality, your best (and probably only) option is to lodge a grievance for the lack of the promised training, citing all of the areas where you feel that their responsibilities to you have not been met. This might buy some time and an opportunity to rove yourself. Do you think that they are really out to get you?

• Confused 1

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

if their obligations to carry out training were part of the contract then you may have grounds for breach of contract by your employer, 1 day a week is NOT adqaute provision for training. They should spend the 1st 2 weeks at least with you on a daily basis giving you training and support in order for you to successfully enter into the role of branch manger and correctly follow their procedures for all management related tasks etc. The other branch managers, own branch can be run by his branch's assistant manager, after all, that's what assistant mangers are there for, to cover in the managers absences.

Do as Side winder says and send in a grievances making note of their failure to provide adequate training as per agreed in the contract MAY constitute a breach of contract on their part - give what i stated above as an example of what would be adequate training.

End of day you would not jump into a river if you have not been taught how to swim, so how can they possibly expect you to jump in to the job successfully if you have not be taught how to do the job?

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Hello Friends who responded to my post re:-Probation Period Failure and Thankyou so much,for your sympathetic response to this difficulty.The issue has forced me to be absent through sickness and I expect the company to await my return,before they hold this 'drumhead' court marshal.My final question is:-Would it be wise, while off sick, to respond to the letter with a counter grievance,by post to the company HR....or would you council against this?I would obviously stick to the points raised with my grievance letter and compose this carefully,but is the concensus view that I would,in any case lose?

Thanks again,

Blueseric:sad::sad::sad:

if their obligations to carry out training were part of the contract then you may have grounds for breach of contract by your employer, 1 day a week is NOT adqaute provision for training. They should spend the 1st 2 weeks at least with you on a daily basis giving you training and support in order for you to successfully enter into the role of branch manger and correctly follow their procedures for all management related tasks etc. The other branch managers, own branch can be run by his branch's assistant manager, after all, that's what assistant mangers are there for, to cover in the managers absences.

Do as Side winder says and send in a grievances making note of their failure to provide adequate training as per agreed in the contract MAY constitute a breach of contract on their part - give what i stated above as an example of what would be adequate training.

End of day you would not jump into a river if you have not been taught how to swim, so how can they possibly expect you to jump in to the job successfully if you have not be taught how to do the job?