DLA for a child with no support from school ?..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there i hope im posting in the right place !My 9 yo daughter has quite a few medical issues , one being dyspraxia , hypermobility and sensory processing issues , she is also being screened for ASD ( aspergers being the key thing)she is extremely bright ( often aspergers girls are !) and can comply in school ( again aspergers girls can ) ! Although she does receive some support with her workAt home is a different story its far too much to put in a post but she is disruptive, aggressive , has no memory or organisation is extremely accident prone and doesnt sleep . fiddles to thing suntil her bedroom is in bits up and down till 2 am for toilet/drinks / headaches / sickness etc obviously i could go on and on here !As a family we are not coping very well if im honest !My problem is school dont see this and there for are not supportive with screening etc ( they already stopped the adhd screen !) so anyway speaking to cab they advised me to claim DLA i talked in depth to a lady to helped fill in the forms she said she would assume we would get high rate care due to my daughters complex needs !My only issues obviously are school not agreeing and a ? with occupational therapy as all tasks with them were done 121 so my DD could concentrate in that situation .. i know of a lot of people refused on the basis of a school report ?does anyone have an knowledge of this ?I know appealing is an option im not sure i will because im emotionally exhausted from it all .My claim is with the decison maker as a type , id love t buy my daughter a luxury mattress to maybe help her sleep .thank you to anyone who may reply x

• 1 month later...

Have you thought about making an appt. with the SENCO and telling her that you've got an ongoing claim for DLA and that he/she might be contacted by DWP? If your daughter has the conditions that you've listed, then I assume that she'll be on the SEN register as either a School Action + or School Action student, depending on her support needs at school.

The school will only be able to comment re. her care needs at school, so if she complies at school... then that is what they'll say.

Be careful with pushing for an ADHD dagnosis; it's a social disorder which is often medicalised and treated with drugs (Ritalin) which many kids don't need once the route cause has been established.

Ive just been through this with my son. He is 4 and being tested for ASD and also has high sensory issues. What the DLA look for in the application is that your daughter needs more help than that of another child the same age. Clearly she does as does my son. When my son is at nursery the nursery dont have very many problems with him as he is within a routine at nursery. However outwith nursery at home he cannot always be kept in such a strict routine (shopping, days out etc) and our nursery dont see the side of him when hes outwith this nursery routine. We applied for DLA and got accepted first time for middle rate care. We did hope to receive the mobility element as he has severe hypermobility in his legs and still requires the use of a disability buggy. He also has no sense of danger and would run infront of a car without even thinking! But as my son is still under 5 he was refused that part but we can apply for the mobility element later this year and hopefully he will be accepted so we can get him a blue badge. Good luck with your claim and your daugters school xx

120805 - you say your son has severe hypermobility. Because he's over 3, he may get the higher rate of mobility if he's unable to walk very far without discomfort. However, like you say, he would have to wait until he's 5 to get the lower rate.