• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Newmans chasing my Amex account

bubbsie1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4527 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Brigadier

I thought it might be a long shot re: the email address but worth a try.

I will send off the F.O.letter and warn them never to darken my doorstep ever but just so frustrating how ambigous their letters/cards are.......'we will be contacting you'..........'on 'Thursday' talk about open ended, what does contact mean and which Thursday?.

Told them a couple of months ago this matter was in dispute with Amex; nothing from Amex to say given/assigned/transferred to RMA.

First Newmans try to bully me into caving into to unreasonable demands for repayment now RMA, truly on the DCA 'merry go round' now.

Will write them the don't come here letter and will note the fact I have heard nothing from Amex re: it being assigned/given to them to collect.

Thanks

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep me posted, let me know if you need any help.:-)

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 1 month later...

Just reviving an old thread on my Amex account. Initially Amex dealt with this through Newmans who threatened all sorts of action, SD, Bankruptcy, personal callers, etc but: after some excellent advice from caggers I sent a cca request and all went quiet.

I had written to Amex at the start of my financial difficulties, sent them a copy of my income and expenditure, offered £5.00 per month, did the same with Newmans (long before I was advised of the error of doing that via CAG) Amex refused on the basis I had no disposable imcome..

Now have a letter from NCO, demanding immediate payment or legal action. No word from Amex this has been assigned to NCO.

Amex used to send me statements, which showed they were charging me £16 p.m in interest; they refused to terminate the account. The sum owed has increased by over £300 since I last had a statement from them.

Wondering if I should write to NCO and make it clear I am not prepared to deal with them without anything from Amex confirming their right to collect this debt and cahllenge the additional charges/lack of statements.

Tempted to start making payments directly to Amex via standing order and try to totally ignore NCO.

Who the FUDGE do these people think they are, just a letter out of the blue, I suppose I should be used to it by now.

Had a real lull in threatening letters/calls lately, been great not having to fend off these leeches for the last few months; think I may have 'gone off the boil' a bit.

Any suggestions???????

Should have mentioned this was an 'e'application and acccording to the advice I received here they do not require a valid signature on the cca, your payment history and statements are sufficent to prove the cca is valid.

Just noticed a lot of guests viewing?

Edited by bubbsie1
typo

when was this and when was your last payment

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 3 months later...

Hi

haven't been on here for some time;last year after some excellent advice from CAG set up regular rduced payments for most of my creditors and things have been relatively quiet for several months.

This morning had a call from someone asking for me and refusing to give me any information apart from the fact they were MDR.

I refused to confirm their security questions and the call ended.

Would this be Moorcroft?

Quite a few of my payment plans are coming to and end about this time;was going to send off income and expenditure details to negoiate further reduced payment plans but it looks like some of my OC's have beaten me to it.

Wondering which of my OC's would have instructed them? do they usually act for certains companies?

After being harassed by telephone in the early part of this year dreading the telephone merry go round starting again.

Just checked the number and it is Moorcroft.

Suppose will just have to wait and see.

Don'r dread the telephone harassment.

What I have done is to record all telephone conversations on my ipod where I tell them that I consider their calls to be harassment...upload to computer and next time they phone I play the recording back to them informing them that I will now ring the police and start a civil claim for damages.

The calls Stop!

Thanks KF and Sillygirl

Since being on CAG I certainly know enough now to never speak to them on the phone and if only I was advanced enough to know how to use an iphone record/playback would certainly be the way to go.

I have checked the number and it goes back to Moorcroft; I have had two letters from OC's stating they now need to know my I & E before they agree another period of reduced payments but haven't even had a chance to get those done yet.

I'll wait for my letter and keep my thread updated

Thanks

Bubbsie

Hi Mike

possibly NDR, however put the tel no into search engine and it came up with Moorcroft but may be wrong. Can't get the number back now, initially did 1471, got the number but since another call so cannot retrieve the first number.

Going to take sillygirls advice and wait for a letter, I'm sure the threats will be along shortly, but will be ready for them this time.

Spent a lot of last year and the beginning of this year not answering the phone/checking the post; won't be doing that this time.

Thanks for your dvice

Edited by bubbsie1
dreadful typing skills

Hi bubbsie1

This is MDR tactic which is against OFT Guidelines.

They call you ask for someone say they are MDR (which means nothing to the normal person) so when you question who and what is MDR they refuse saying you need to confirm your details first.

MDR is another lowlife DCA called MOORCROFT who when calling people use the gise of MDR.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi All

got home this evening and a friend told me 'Chelsea' had called and left me a message to call her; friend assumed Chelsea was a friend so took a message. needless to say I did not call her back it was the same number for MDR who had called earlier in the week.

Again when I return home Thursday evening late from work messages from MDR timed at 08:14 and 08:19 that morning and the same friday.

In the post a letter from Moorcroft, threatening the usual, pre-litigation letter, we will recommend our clients take legal action etc. if it goes to court you could have credit problems in the future (feel as if I never want to have/need credit again).

Coincidentally i had a letter from a firm called RMA about 10 days ago in respect of the same debt (Amex). This morning a call from 'Kate' at MDR asking for me I said 'just a moment I'll fetch her' and put the phone in a drawer for an hour.

I wrote to Amex and RMA earlier this year making an offer, the same amount as I pay my other creditors, they rejected it.

So now I have two DCA's chasing the same debt; Moorcroft calling me early in the morning, here we go again.

Wondering the best way to approach this.

Any reasonable suggestions welcome.

IMO I would put them on strict notice that the phone calls must stop, and any subsequent calls will be logged and reported to the Police for the criminal offence of harassment.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?493-Harassment-by-telephone-response-letter

RMA don't have any authority to reject anyone's offer of payment, so they are clearly deluded!

Check your credit file and see what is on there, also make formal complaints to the OFT&TS via consumer direct.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi BB

will be writing to them tomorrow re: the phone calls and telling them to put everything in writing. Initially I made an offer to Amex when financial dificulties started; they rejected my offer and sent the debt to newmans who plagued me for a while then gave up. Heard nothing for several months until I got a letter from RMA; told them I had made a request for a copy of the signed aggreement.

Again heard nothing for a while until approx ten days ago when RMA wrote to me, the usual threat letter, then out of the blue started to have phone calls from MDR (Moorcrofts) and a letter from them saying pre-litigation letter etc.,

The sort of letter that would have made me panic before I came on CAG.

So now have two DCA's chasing the same debt; I must be special (lol).

Will take your advice and report it.

Waiting for the next instalment!!

Thanks Boo

Write to your creditors and state your finacial situation has not improved but rather worsened so you are unable to increase the amount you pay. Make sure you continue to pay what was offered/agreed/you have been paying. Personally I wouldn't send another I&E but if you do send the one you sent last time.

Hi BBNB

at the moment not paying Amex anything, they refused to accept a lower payment and just referred the matter (initially) to Newmans who also said my offer was not sufficent. After Newmans RMA contacted me and again said what i had offered was too low, now I have RMA amd MDR chasing this debt.

In fact just had a call from a pushy young madam from MDR (Moorcrofts) and told her in no uncertain terms that their calls were not welcome and anymore would result in a complaint to the appropriate authority/body.

Amazing isn't it how their attitude changes when you challenge or stand up to them.

I may try paying Amex directly into their bank account (yes it will be a standing order) but have a feeling they may have put a block on thatt; won't know until I try.

Thanks for your advice BBNB; this time last year in an absolute panic, Newmans the first DCA involved tried all sorts, even threatened a Statutory demand and Bankruptcy for the princely sum of £1300.

Will try to pay direct and update my post on the result.

Thought it had been too quiet lately, should have known there was a vulture lurking somewhere.

the shoe is on your foot if you pay and continue to pay what you can afford; it makes no difference if they throw their toys out of the pram. It shows you are willing to pay what you can afford and shows them up for what they are - greedy bullies. You made the offer in good faith and with an I&E initially to support you. they might postuate about taking you to court, but what would they argue if they did? Think logically. However, you need to keep a careful record of what you pay and to whom. They can't block a SO, only reverse it. If they do that, take the evidence to their CEO, the papers and most definately your MP!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

just a quick update on this post; received another threat letter from Moorcrofts (MDR) re this debt. In the last two months I have had letters from three DCA's chasing the same matter.

The first from RMA, the second NCO and now the third Moorcrofts!!!!

What to do?

Is it worth a complaint.........or do i write to each advising them of the others interest, or will they already be aware ot it.

Are these DCA's linked to one another, such as Lowells/Red.

Any advice appreciated.