• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Newmans chasing my Amex account

bubbsie1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4528 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have reported Amex to the Financial Ombudsman for threatening me with bankruptcy so early on in the matter, however, from reading some of the threads relating to the Ombudsman that is unlikely to do me any service at all.

The Barclays debt is my overdraft

Edited by bubbsie1
typo

Bubsie, regarding Nancy Newman's using the threat of bankruptcy as a debt collection tool, you would be better off reporting this and complaining to the OFT&TS via http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi Coledog

I wrote to AMEX initially to advise of my change in circumstances back in October 2010 and made them an offer of £5.00 per month; they refused this offer on the basis the budget and income details I sent them showed I had no disposable income. When Newmans contacted me I wrote to them making the same offer (which of course they refused). Is there any point in my now sending a CCA request to Amex?

You would need to send the CCA request to Newmans if they are chasing you for this but wait for them to write to you first. Just sending cards through the post and ringing is not acceptable. You could also send a 'prove it' letter if they do not give the reason why they are chasing you. If they ring - just say 'in writing only' and hang up. They will tell you anything over the phone.

If you have no disposal income why are you offering them anything?

How old is this card account?

Please support CAG and they will support you.

donate

Another thought - if Amex have appointed Newmans to act for them they are responsible for their behaviour and should also be reported to OFT (see link to OFT guidelines below). You could actually send a complaint to Amex about Newmans contacting you particularly as you have made a reasonable offer to them (in line with OFT guidelines). Tell them that you will only deal with them directly in future and have reported them to OFT. You can then hit Amex with a CCA request.

I have attached some useful links for you

Complaints

TS via http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/contact

OFT http://www.oft.gov.uk/

OFT Guidance link

This helps when drafting a letter to OFT

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?416-The-OFT-Debt-collection-guidance

Harassment Letter

To stop those annoying phone calls

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...esponse-letter

Prove it letter

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?428-General-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

CCA Request

CCA letter to send with a £1 postal order by recorded delivery, do not sign. They have 12 plus 2 working days to reply. If nothing valid is received you can send a letter to put the account in dispute and this should stop them contacting you.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?414-CCA-request-letter

Account in Dispute letter

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?436-Failure-to-provide-a-copy-of-the-agreement-within-the-prescribed-timescale

donate

Hi Coledog

prior to finding the CAG site

I had a call from newmans,

I did speak to them (yes I know I shouldn't have NOW) and

said I could not increase the offer I had made to AMEX;

they said it's not enough and said I had not made a payment for five months.

I disputed that information and told them AMEX had refused to accept my offer of reduced payments.

They then said we'll have to take the next step etc.,

I explained even if they took out a CCJ

I would have to write to the court and explain my circumstances

but I could not up the offer of £5.00.

i then wrote to them and said I could not increase the offer I had made to AMEX

the next thing is the card threatening me with a SD for payment and the threat of bankruptcy.

I spoke with the CCCS who advised this would be unlikely since the cost would be prohibitive for Newmans.

I called AMEX to see if they were still dealing with this or had sold my debt to Newmans; amex told me (by phone) they still owned the debt and Newmans were dealing with it on their behalf. I then made a complaint to the financial ombudsman and by chance found the CAG site last night.

I hadn't expected the amazing response I received!!

Amex said I did not have any disposable income, however that isn't accurate with my mortgage company (The Woolwich) hopefully on the verge of accepting interest only payments for the next six months there would (just) be enough for me to make the reduced payments to my creditors.

Since I have already written to Newmans and repeated the offer made to Amex should I now send them the CCA request? or have I already made a complete mess of dealing with this matter.

Never been in this position before, having to fight off these DCA's is like having to fight the local underword thugs. I need a 'good kick' in the right direction.

Thank you so much for your help and advice; bear with me I'm sure I'll get it right eventually

Edited by bubbsie1
typo

Hi

CCA requests sent to Newmans & CSL; amex said on the budget i sent them i had no disposable income, however, since I am at the moment paying interest only on my mortgage I do have some disposable income (not much) so I am making small regular payments on those creditors that agreed to accept smaller payments.

The amex account is about 4/5 years old as far as i can remember.

Your advice is appreciated thanks

While i am waiting for the response to the CCA's I am going to make payments to Barclays and Amex directly; or do you think it might be better to wait?

Hi

about to send a 'do not send field agent here letter' to CSL; have already sent both newmans and CSL CCA requests seems to be the standard advice.

As stated in advice to coledog intend to start paying small amount to both Amex and barclays while waiting for response; as far as I know neither of the debts appear to have been sold to either of the DCA's so intend to pay the companies directly until I hear otherwise.

Thanks so much for your help; since all this started felt like i was wandering atound in a foreign country unable to speak the language until i found CAG just by chance. Just wondering why none of the agencies i've spoken to mentioned CAG.

Edited by bubbsie1

Hi Coledog

just had an interesting letter from Newmans DCA, titled a ' Short Settlement' informing me they have been given a limited time to collect payment and they are nearing the end of that period; they are offering me a 15% per cent discount on my outstanding AMEX account valid for the next 15 days (this would amount to a £150 off a bill of £1090).

I have sent them (Newmans) a CCA request last week and do have a complaint outstanding with the Financial Ombudsman against AMEX for the way they have handled this matter, I received acknowledgement of my complaint from them this morning.

Confused, a couple of weeks ago Newmans were threatening to send a Statutory Demand, threatening possible bankruptcy and so on, now this 'Short Settlement' letter.

Newmans still insist they are instructed by AMEX and I am still receiving statements from AMEX.

Do I wait or shall I pay the small sum I can manage into my AMeX account in the meantime

IMO, when they start offering discounts, there could be a problem with them enforcing this. I would wait for the CCA response or not, before offering payment. As you have said, they were not prepared to accept a low payment, but up to you and it shows willing.

donate

Thanks for the quick response, not sure whether to wait for the CCA before making any paments into AMEX;concerned about paying nothing because although AMEX say my account has been closed they are still charging me monthly interest on it.

Interesting! Have they 'terminated' the agreement?

If so, then I believe, although may not be 100% correct, that once an agreement is terminated, no further charges or interest can be added to it???

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

sent my CCA request to Newmans on the 3rd of February; they received it on the 7th (have printed out the receipt with signature) but still no sign of a CCA or even an acknowledgement of my letter.

So 21 days later asolutely nothing from them, do I now send the Acccount in Dispute letter now?

I feel I should know this by now but after almost 10 days without any hostile calls/letters from CSL or Newmans it's been a bit like a holiday and I've just relaxed a little too much, but back on the case now.

As long as 12 'working' days have passed, the yes send them the in dispute letter, this normally hurries them along.

Well well well it appears Newmans have given this account back to American Express; no response to the CCA request and now Amex have instructed another DCA RMS who called me this afternoon. I did speak to them ut only to estalish who they were; I made it clear I was awaiting documentation from Amex and had also complaind to the FOS until such time as I receive the documents Amex should know better than to refer this matter to another DCA.

Do Amex think they can avoid dealing with the CCA request because Newmans have clearly given this back to them and they have instructed new agents?

Surely I do not have to start again with a new CCa request???????