style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3730 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I was talking to a security guard who has worked in retail for years for G4S and we began talking about RLP. He said to me that if anyone is caught in a store they don't have to provide details of their address name etc Just most persons feel threatened into it. So he advises not to hand these details over (unless the police attend).

If you do, and details are passed onto RLP, he is 90% certain that under the Data Protection Act the company can't pass the information onto RLP without permission. He is convinced he has heard of this in his last place of work happening.

Just felt the above worth sharing.

Hi all,

I was talking to a security guard who has worked in retail for years for G4S and we began talking about RLP. He said to me that if anyone is caught in a store they don't have to provide details of their address name etc Just most persons feel threatened into it. So he advises not to hand these details over (unless the police attend).

If you do, and details are passed onto RLP, he is 90% certain that under the Data Protection Act the company can't pass the information onto RLP without permission. He is convinced he has heard of this in his last place of work happening.

Just felt the above worth sharing.

Your friend is right in the first part, but wrong in the second. If details are refused, they will have to call the police. The victim, i.e., the store, are allowed to have the info for the precise purpose to pursue civil action. His advice therefore, is pretty poor, unless you have not stolen anything. If you have stolen something, then just give them the details/ proof of ID. You will get referred to RLP, but they may not call the police. If the police are involved, you may end up with a PND costing you £80, and then still be referred to RLP.

The victim, i.e., the store, are allowed to have the info for the precise purpose to pursue civil action.

We have not yet reached the situation where shop assistants decide on guilt or innocence - until and unless they are called to serve on a jury of course.

I remember a couple of years ago. Security guard ran out of the shop and grapped a guy who turned round and smacked him in the face. Police come and the guy hadn't stolen anything. The guy said he thought he had been jumped and acted in self defence which police accepted. The security guard said the manager pointed him out and he just acted. Police forced the guard to give his personal details because he was making a compliant for false imprisonment.. Would have loved to know the outcome

:???: what me. never heard of you never had a debt with you.

We have not yet reached the situation where shop assistants decide on guilt or innocence - until and unless they are called to serve on a jury of course.

This was meant to convey that if ID is witheld until police arrive, then they will give that info to the victim, if they are satisfied that a crime has taken place. If someone has stolen, then it may be better to give ID and possibly avoid police attention and a possible PND.