Legal Threat Letter

Furax
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4728 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I made the mistake of signing up for some free domains from eclipse in 2006.

They offered them free so I created an account and registered 6 domains, at the time i dont remember entering any card details since it was free and they had my work address not my home address.

Today i got a letter from them threatening legal action over a £100 debt, on the basis that they were auto renewed (every 2 years) after the free period ended (I assume this was in the fine print) and came as news to me.

Im just interested where i stand.. Im pretty sure they don't have my home address or my card details (not sure how i can check?) As far as im concerned anybody could have signed up under a false name/address or worse the address of somebody they didn't like.

What kind of proof does an online retail need to prove ive entered into some kind of contract with them.

I cannot have any kind of legal action going against the company as thats not fair really.

Just wondering if theres a way i can ring up and get it wiped off, I wouldn't mind if they had warned me they were going to bill me at the time of signing up.. but a legal threat out the blue 7 years on makes me :-x:-x

Just wondering where i stand really so any help would be appreciated

Edited by Furax

I suggest to fish through the The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, to see what you can find that fits.

The validity of a contract is as unclear as your understanding of the circumstance. Basically, a contract exists in the minds of the parties who agree to contract. If, in good faith there was no reason to believe that there was a contract, there is therefore a case to be made of that. Alternatively, it may be said that it was daft to expect to get something for nothing.