style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3891 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Can my employer change the hours on my contract to suit themselves.

Have been informed that if we dont work overtime our hrs will be changed from 7.45-4.45 to 7am to 4.45.

The contract says we must do a reasonable amount of overtime to suit the buisness.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Have you agreed the variation with your employer?

and...

Is there, somewhere in your contract, or statement of employement, a clause allowing your employer to vary your T&C of employment unilaterally?

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Ok Suzie...

Bear in mind that any variation of your T&Cs should be agreed, if there is no clause in your statement of employment granting your employer the right to vary your T&Cs unilaterally!

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys

Just a bit of help for some friends.

About 60 people where i work are being called into disciplinary meetings because they did not stay over to help with a stock take.

Everyone was told about a month before the stock take that all holidays were cancelled unless you brought poof u had a holiday booked. If they did not work the extra hours they would recieve a written warning.

They were asked to work on top of their usual 40hrs an extra 7 hours on the friday and 8 hours on the saturday.

One of the managers stood by the clock machine writing names down of people who clocked out at the usual time and was asking them if they had notes to go home who from their mothers. !!!!!!!!

One man has told the manager "what I do in my time is my business end of story" and walked out of meeting.

My question is what defence can they use when they go to the hearing stage, luckily most have been working there over 12months but not all of them some are very young too and scared of management.

Thanks in advance

Suebear

Speak to ACAS unless its in contract of employment then overtime is voluntary and can not be made into disciplinary action.

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

My contract says you MAY be asked to do additional hours as the business requires, Im lucky I went back the following monday after a period of sickness.

just so annoying when managment do as they please can we report them to anyone.

Everyone was told about a month before the stock take that all holidays were cancelled unless you brought poof...

:-D

Sorry - juvenile I know.....

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

As far as the overtime request itself goes, this would almost certainly be considered a reasonable request, particularly as there is a clause where such overtime might be required in the interests of the business, and especially as ample notice appears to have been given.

The employer seems to have handled this badly, but providing that everybody has that clause in their contract, the employer would (IMO) be entitled to issue warnings UNLESS those not working had genuine reasons for not doing so.

• Confused 1

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks Sidewinder and for the giggle,(must check my posts before i hit submit)

So the defence would be I have other commitments or no one to look after kids, what about it going over the 48 working rule no one has ever been asked to sign any agreements that I am aware of.

Thanks Sidewinder and for the giggle,(must check my posts before i hit submit)

So the defence would be I have other commitments or no one to look after kids, what about it going over the 48 working rule no one has ever been asked to sign any agreements that I am aware of.

You want to see some of my mistakes!

The Working Time Regs are a non-starter in this situation, as they provide only for AVERAGE working hours of 48 hours maximum calculated over a 17 week period, so this would only be a factor if the overtime was being worked regularly enough to affect the average - or if somebody has another employment and the enforced overtime at this workplace was sufficient to affect the overall averaged hours.

A defence is certainly that circumstances outside of work made it impossible to comply with the request for overtime on this occasion - childcare that could not be rearranged, family responsibilities elsewhere etc, however the employer could argue that such problems could have been advised before the stocktake so that they were aware.

It's a tricky one - nobody actually likes being forced to work extra hours, but from a business perspective, sometimes it is necessary. The key will always be negotiation.

DONATE HERE

Absolutely. The employer in that case would be prejudicing the disciplinary process. A warning should not be issued without a hearing and importantly, a witness being present, the allegation being presented and representations made. Have a look at the company's disciplinary procedures and apply them to what has happened.

DONATE HERE

Isn't this a case where the precise wording of the contract becomes important? Compare "MAY be ASKED to do additional hours as the business requires" to "MAY be REQUIRED to do additional hours as the business requires. I'm sure you can see the difference.

It says

You may be required to work additional hours when authorised and as necessitated by the needs of the business. Alternative flexible working patterns may be introduced to meet the needs of the business. Details of which will be notified to you prior to any arrangements being agreed or introduced.

assuming everyones says the same mine is 2 yrs old.

suebear

thats why I said unless its in contract, so unless they had a genuine reason for not doing the overtime then they would be expected to, however I think employer has used a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)