Royal Mail Asking for proof of value

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4179 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have put in 2 claims for lost parcels that I sold as BIN on my ebay store

Royal Mail have sent me letters asking for proof of its value or purchase price

Surely if I have sold it in a shop then thats its value and had nothing to do with royal mail how much I paid for it???

I couldnt prove my purchase value anyway as I buy in bulk

Are royal mail in thier rights to request this info, and where does that leave me?

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me

Many thanks

Yes, it's common practice with insurance claims etc to ask for proof of how much something cost, as opposed to sale price, and that's what you are covered for with Royal Mail's compensation scheme.

The invoice you have for your bulk purchase should be sufficient to prove the cost price of the item.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 2 months later...

Why do you think you've lost out?

You paid £1 for an item, sold it for £39.99 which you refunded then Royal Mail will give you back your £1. You are in exactly the same position as you were before the sale & unless the item was the very last one of your bulk purchase, just send your customer a repalcement for the agreed price of £39.99. Royal Mail's terms & conditions are very clear that they don't pay out for consequential losses.

You should consider yourself very lucky if you are able to sell items which cost £1 for £40!!!! Especially if you buy in bulk. Anyone in business would be pleased to have such a mark up.

You are in exactly the same position as you were before the sale & unless the item was the very last one of your bulk purchase, just send your customer a repalcement for the agreed price of £39.99.

"Before the sale"?

The seller is presumably in the same position as when the sale was made, with an enforceable contract, every bit as valid as it was before!

Hi Elmo thanks for the reply

I cant send a replacement as I buy one offs not wholesale, & I know it has not effected me really but its My profit why should I pay for a service, not get that service & then not get compensated ......

And I am very pleased that I get such a good mark up on my items :wink:

I cant send a replacement as I buy one offs not wholesale, ....

:!:

Really?

Spot the difference.

I couldnt prove my purchase value anyway as I buy in bulk

:roll:

I sometimes wonder if there is such a thing as an honest seller on eBay, or are they all the same?

• 2 months later...

Ebay sellers are going to lose out time and time again over this requirement by Royal Mail. Is there an alternative postal service that doesnt steal your parcels or lose them then ??

im with you 100% KBH and as for elmo tut tut put away that green eyed monster:lol:

• 1 year later...
Why do you think you've lost out?

You paid £1 for an item, sold it for £39.99 which you refunded then Royal Mail will give you back your £1. You are in exactly the same position as you were before the sale.

Exactly the same position?

If you swap £1 for £30 with person A, and person B comes along and whips the £30 out of your hand and replaces it with £1, and tells you not to complain because after all, you're in exactly the same position as you were before, Elmo... be honest. You wouldn't turn around and walk calmly away whistling a merry tune now, would you?

In this case, person B is Royal Mail.

When you send an item, the cashier always asks you "What is the value of the item?" If you are selling an unwanted gift worth £100, its value is £100, end of story. If they are only going to compensate you what you paid for it, they should clearly ask you "How much did you pay for this item?" to make sure people realise what's going on. Asking how much its worth when they take your money to pay for special delivery, and then saying "Sorry, we only pay how much you paid for it" when they lose the item is misleading.