• Tweets

• and more positive change From next year, mobile phone, paid television and broadband companies must inform customers of any price rises at the point of sale. The changes, ordered by Ofcom, will come into force on 17 January and mean that any mid-contract price rises must be given “in pounds and pence” and in a “clear and comprehensible” way.   Taken a change of government to do it after years of bluster about it eh?   Mobile phone companies banned from hiking prices mid-contract based on inflation WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The new year plan ensures providers are transparent on prices at the point of sale  
    • Could he/ his partner set up a new internet bank account?  In his name ? It depends which country, I imagine. Most UK banks want proof of address and ID, probably more. If your friend/partner can use the house address and provide bills that could help. You would need to look at various online banks and see what their requirements are. Or there are expat accounts but I haven't looked closely at how they work. Could I then get his pension diverted to that new account?  That would at least cover some costs  ( ie epc/ storage) I'd have thought the DWP would pay to a new account, as long as the person they're authorised to deal with asks them and provides details. The international pensions people in Newcastle are pretty helpful.
    • HB - he has certainly given me a challenge ! I set a plan in motion. A refinance plan that would have enabled me to take time to sell one asset and sort out another for him.   The bank account blockage has hindered the plan.  His partner seems to think I can do everything w/o paying anyone for anything.  I don't mind helping - but it's not normal to clear out 2 properties, organize storage or sale of possessions, get properties ready for sale/ rent - w/o being paid.  He has the money to pay for things and services - and for my help - but the blockage prevents that. If the refinance plan could still be actioned then at least I would have some time to sell one asset.  Could he/ his partner set up a new internet bank account?  In his name ? Could I then get his pension diverted to that new account?  That would at least cover some costs  ( ie epc/ storage)
    • It's a shame that your friend didn't take care of this while he had capacity and before he left the country, isn't it? He seems to have made your mission impossible. HB
    • HB - this form and process is as I remember it from handling relatives cases.  It's a timing thing.  Which has passed in terms of my friend
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 162 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PayPal?

fallen404
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6681 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I know they're not really a bank per se, but every time I've dealt with them, they've been exemplary of how a financial services company should be (with the exception of when I tried calling them from my Orange mobile, and I got put through to their French switchboard!): They've always been polite, curteous, efficient, and helpful, both on the phone and via email. Anyhow, I was wondering if they did current accounts or whatever themselves. I know you can kind of "upload" money from your account/card to them, and get a teeny bit of interest, but given how helpful they've been to me in the past, I'd probably sign up for a full bank account with them if they ever offered it.

Odd though, that they're actually part of eBay, who in my experience are a bunch of slothful, uncaring and money-grubbing b*****ds, who don't seem to give a damn about you getting ripped off, so long as they get their cut.

DPA Letter received by NatWest 11/04/2006

DPA Request expires 21/05/2006

Statements received 15/05/2006

LBA sent 15/05/2006

If you find me vaguely coherent, click the scales.

As far as I am aware paypal do not pay interest on the balance - they certainly havn't paid me anything. I believe they do offer a credit/debit card - but that is only available in the US.

Whilst I would agree that they offer a great service, they do charge sellers a large amount in transaction fees. I have also had three payment reversals over the past few years - where a buyer has either fraudulently used a card for payment - or just claimed that they had not authorised it. Not only did I lose the money from these sales - I was also charged a fee of £40 for each transaction!

Really?

I lost £21 thanks to Paypal and their inefficiency and total disinterest.

A chap refunded me for a purchase, he was out of stock, ok. Unfortunately, I assum ehe made a mistake and actually sent it as a payment to me. As I'm not a business holder, I'm assuming it just got refused by Paypal, even though I'd got an e-mail that guy had sent it.

When I asked Paypal where my money was, they said they had no record of the transaction, even though it clearly showed on my Paypal account, and couldn't do anything else about it. Charming.

Hmmm...maybe the seller-side stuff's where they make their cash then. I've only really used them to buy stuff...

LBA sent 15/05/2006

If you have more than one email address it is possible that the person sent a payment to the wrong email address - instead of just using the refund facility. I have often had customers say that they have paid but the money is not showing in my account - it is usually that they have got the address wrong.

As a result of people sending payments to my other email address (and occasionally to the wife's) I have now added those to my PP account.

If you really want to see the problems that paypal cause - just go to the "Community" section on ebay and have a look at the "Payment and Postage" forum. There are many people who have been really stuffed.

Fourtunately I sell mostly low priced items, therefore when losses occur it is not the end of the world.

Agree with bookworm, Paypal are a disgrace.

We run a large and successful eBay based business, but I will never offer Paypal as a payment option.

First Direct, £4031 Recovered

Halifax, £953 Recovered

MBNA Credit Card, £120 Recovered

American Express, £160 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Blackpool Council, £190 in unlawful parking tickets

Carstoppers. £50 from the cowboy clampers

Nah.

I've been with PayPal since the 1st day they allowed UK accounts. Yes there are horror stories, as there are with any financial institution, but of course you don't always get the full story (no offence intended to previous posters).

They are constantly critisised for their fees - yet there is no cheaper option for sending / receiving money that is anything like as convenient or secure.

My personal 'horror story' involves a person in Singapore who took $950 from my account (which PayPal took from my Credit Card) and then tried the same the next day - this only failed because there wasn't enough credit left on my HSBC card.

A quick phone call to PayPal in the States (2p a min max) and wheels were set in motion that got the funds back to me very quickly. The whole process took less time than Lloyds TSB have taken to send me my duplicate statements!

One final point - use the US customer service numbers, the staff seem much more effective than the (Eire based) UK ones.

Hmm...now you've said that, I'm wondering if the quality of service is affected by how long you've been with them: I signed up to PayPal something like 4 and a half years ago, so I've been with them for quite a while, too.

I got ripped for £300 or so buying a 360 off of eBay, which got sorted very quickly, all things considered.

LBA sent 15/05/2006

To be fair, I have probably been involved with around 3,000 Paypal transactions, of which three have gone wrong and cost me money. As for the level of the fees - they are expensive when put alongside Nochex. Unfortunately, they have such a dominating position in the on-line auction market (as of course does ebay itself), that it would be business suicide not to use them.

What I cannot understand is how ebay were allowed to take over Paypal. Originally, they had their own payment system called ebay payments. At that time sellers had a choice of systems - and of course they had to compete on price to attract volume. Now they can charge what they like, and sellers have two choices - either accept paypal.....or see your sales slump.

I had a big problem with paypal.

I logged on whilst away in Cyprus and they blocked my account.

It took several faxes to the USA and some emails from some very pedantic people to get it unlocked.

Abbey (Charges on 3 accounts and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 30/03/06 - 40 days limit is 9th May - Recieved DPA printouts 05/04/06 with microfiche "fob off" letter. <p>Barclaycard (Charges on 1 account and default on my credit record) - DPA letter sent 03/04/06 - 40 days limit is 13th May - Recieved some statements 08/04/06 along with DPA printout and a microfiche "fob off" letter. Claim for £340 sent 11/04/06

Sorry, but in my experience Paypal are a bunch of wan.....

Anyway, what annoys me the most is the way they play judge, jury and executioner with other people's money.

I have had a couple of claims from buyers who claimed not to have recieved their goods and been refunded even though in both cases I provided tracking info when requested which proved the goods had been signed for.

At one stage it left me with a negative balance and they had the cheek to ask me to pay in funds to bring the account back into credit. I refused to do so.

But the worst one was when I paid nearly £50 for goods that were not as described; they were actually worth about a fiver. They agreed with me in principle and asked me to return the goods before they refunded me, I did so (sent recorded delivery) and the seller then claimed to have recieved an empty package so they then refused my refund. I pointed out that the price of the postage was proof enough that the package could not have been empty, but the end result was that the seller got the goods back to sell again AND got my money! The cheeky git even asked me to remove the negative I had placed on his ebay account!

The way they operate is a disgrace, disputes should be a matter for the courts, not for paypal to decide.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

PayPal (Europe) Ltd is a private limited company incorporated in the UK. PayPal Inc. (which is a parent company of PayPal (Europe) Ltd) was acquired by eBay in October 2002, and is located in California, USA. PayPal is the 2002 SIIA Codie Awards winner for "Best eCommerce Solution" and is recognized by PC Magazine as one of "The Top 100 Web Sites".

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Sorry, but in my experience Paypal are a bunch of wan.....

The way they operate is a disgrace, disputes should be a matter for the courts, not for paypal to decide.

You may have realised that I like PayPal, but I do understand that any large business makes mistakes.

With regard to your last comment - there is nothing at all to stop you taking these matters to the courts. Also, your returned box might have been empty - did you claim a refund from the Post Office?

As you chose RD, the cover for items is up to £30 so you really should have used the correct postage service, but I don't expect you'll have any problem getting £30 from them. It's not everything you paid but it's better than nothing.

Incidentally, I'm not having a go about you choosing the 'wrong' service - I've done the same before and lost out myself!

A while ago Paypal froze £700 of payments I and my family had made via their system. The reason they gave was because 2 of us living in this house had paypal accounts. That was it. It then took 5 weeks of me faxing everything from utility bills to credit card statements for them to unfreeze the money.

In that time I had to explain to 20+ sellers that I wasn't ripping them off, and as it was xmas time and people needed the money, I had to pay the majority of sellers via alternative means, then rely on them refunding my paypal payments when they finally gave me my money back.

I know several people who have been hit with paypal reversal scams, including myself. Luckily mine was only for a small amount. - even when you send proof of postage to paypal, all paypal do is say that it isn't sufficient and refund the money, leaving you out of pocket. I know people who sell a lot of items on Ebay that have been hit by exactly that, also people saying their cards have been stolen - meaning they get the item and the money returned.

They must be making a fortune from interest on our money - when I make a payment, the money comes out of my account within a couple of days, yet when I withdraw money it takes 5 or 6 days to go back into my account. Recently some payments have been sent as an E-cheque for some reason, one took 14 days to clear to the seller, yet the money came out of my account in 5 days.

It amazes me that there seems to be no regulation whatsoever. Paypal can freeze your money, issue refunds and delay payments for seemingly no reason. I'd like to know if some of their practises are even legal.

Bank of Scotland: Claiming £699.47, SETTLED IN FULL at moneyclaim stage

Sisters NatWest - Claiming £1056 - SETTLED at AQ stage

Natwest CC - Claiming £804, SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

GF Natwest - claiming £749.33, moneyclaim filed - SETTLED IN FULL 04/08

MBNA: Claiming £150 - SETTLED IN FULL at LBA stage

HSBC: £1014 - SETTLED at LBA stage + pending charges removed

Sisters HSBC - £300 - SETTLED IN FULL at prelim stage

Yorkshire bank - claiming £496.68 - SETTLED IN FULL at court date stage.

Capital One - claiming £605.54 -SETTLED IN FULL

DON'T FORGET TO DONATE!

Those are all the reasons myself and Paypal parted company.

I haven't looked back!

First Direct, £4031 Recovered

Halifax, £953 Recovered

MBNA Credit Card, £120 Recovered

American Express, £160 Recovered

Coming Soon......

Blackpool Council, £190 in unlawful parking tickets

Carstoppers. £50 from the cowboy clampers

Ebay and paypal are hand in hand, mess with ebay lose paypal, and all your money.

As i needed a card to open teh paypal account and now i have no card and can not update my details i wam losing what is in there, thank god its only £11.00 but there has been times it was much much more. I have realised my lucky escape, i think they are discussting..

Also i paid an ebay bill with a postal order and feel i am within my rightsto request the over

payment back how it was made...

I am told we will refund your card only..?

a card i ahev not got??

thay just want the money..

jules

It amazes me that there seems to be no regulation whatsoever. Paypal can freeze your money, issue refunds and delay payments for seemingly no reason. I'd like to know if some of their practises are even legal.

My point exactly. Paypal - now owned by Ebay - are registered with the Financial Services Authority, a government "quango" set up to regulate the banks.

They are registered as an "online bank".

The trouble is, the rules regarding trading on the net are still vague and companies like Paypal are getting away with deciding their customer's fate. That's not allowed it the real world as we all know, but Paypal are flaunting the vague online policing to their advantage. And charging us for the privilege too.

I only mouth my opinion, please look elsewhere for sensible advice! :)

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

LBA sent 15/05/2006

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6681 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks