• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cabot - summary cause Scotland - Merged Argos Card & Littlewoods Card help! **Case Dismissed ***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3770 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I rather suspect you are going to follow your lawyer's advice, partly at least because she is your lawyer.

The view she has expressed seems fairly reasonable

- they might not rebut point by point in your letter, but why advise you of their case before they have to?

What impressed me was that they are prepared to accept 1/2 of what they were looking for, and pay their own costs from thi

s - more "how can we get out of this with minimum damage?" than confidence.

I would be inclined to tell you to get on with it.

My only reservation is that you can never be 100% confident about what will happen in court.

But from what they are saying they arent all the confident in their case, and if you trust your lawyer bring it on.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you SFU, ive went with my gut instinct on this one and im going for it.

Lawyer seemed pretty confident too so that helped with my decision.

they seemed to have come up with "we will accept half too easily".

My lawyer seemed adamant for me to decline their offer on the basis that she hasnt received any info at all from them yet to back up their claim,

no CCA, no NOA and no DN and no averrment on the court form,

added to that we have an abundance of mistakes from both Cabot and Barclaycard but she left it up to me to decide.

I had to go with my instinct, my trust in my lawyer and Cabot backing down to half too goddamn easily

(it was almost an admission to we are ****** but lets see what we can get).

I think she is going down the route of "unless you show us what youve got, then no deal" sort of thing.

In the meantime i have Barclaycards reply to my last letter to look forward to regarding charges and their reference to "agents".

I didnt mince my words with that one and gave them 14 days to reply, they have until a week on Monday.

I know its a risk and im not certain of anything but i really dont like Cabots game play so its a no brainer for me

i have always said this is like playing poker and the one first to blink generally loses. If I were you i would stick to my guns. First of all because its what my lawyer advised me (a lawyer actually giving advice is a rare thing), and you have to trust them anyhow. But in any event, from what is in their letter, she is right - put up or shut up!

Thank you, sometimes i just need to hear from someone else before i jump in at the deep end but in this instance i couldnt help myself,

i agreed with my lawyer within 3 hours of getting the letter but if i drank i would certainly raise a glass to you for your support and to everyone else on this site.

I would have honestly backed down soon as i got the court papers if it wasnt for all the shared experiences and knowledge from all here.

If i lose, i can hold my head high because i wont have went down without a fight and

if i win i will try and do so with all the grace of a herd of elephants stampeding through a china shop.

Besides if i accepted their offer i would have admitted the debt and that would have meant all the years of fighting them

tooth and nail was a wasted effort and you can bet Cabot would have added interest like

it was going out of fashion so its against all my principles to accept.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi delilah,

I haven't been around for a few weeks, but I do think that this issue of whether Cabot have bought the debt, or are acting as agents for barclaycard, is an important one. In my case they have been asked several times and refuse to answer, and there's been no Notice of Assignment either and they just ignore requests for that too.

I don't think your lawyer would advise you to refuse their offer unless she felt that they just wanted 'something' - probably to cover their costs.

DDx

Hi Daniella,

im just playing a waiting game with them at the moment.

When Barclaycard wrote about the ppi refusal they said it was a postal application and i ticked the box (erm, no i didnt).

This is the same Application Form that Cabot claim is a credit agreement.

Doubt that would make much difference other than there are no prescribed terms and T&C's could not possibly have been included

but i do have all their letters referring to "agents" and their apology for the double entry being reported on my credit files.

My lawyer wrote to their lawyer 2 weeks ago stating that until she sees the info they have its no deal

and that there is a ppi claim in and unfair charges that have apparantly been paid to Cabot.

Im puzzled as to why Barclaycard still have the "original application form/credit agreement" in their possession

when surely Cabot should have it to attempt court action???

Barclaycard have written back to me about the unfair charges and i should be hearing from them by Friday,

this is the letter i have asked them to clarify who owns the account and if it is Cabot then why did they pay the refund to an independant 3rd party,

i also told them that Cabot have started court proceedings for this account and i told them i want answers

so this should turn out to be a very interesting reply.

Will keep you all posted

Hi All, so much for Barclaycard responding by the 28th coz i havent heard a word yet. Nothing back from my lawyer either thats over a fortnight since she wrote to Cabots lawyers. Heard back from Financial Ombudsman asking for more details on ppi so that was done and posted. No news is good news i suppose but this waiting game does your head in.

Nothing moves fast in litigation Delilah.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Folks,

have heard from Sharkleycard this morning.

I think ive upset them a bit.

Due to the nature of my complaint ongoing investigations are still taking place and they apologise for the delay

but hope to have this resolved by the 28th November.

Whats to investigate?

They either sold the account to Cabot or they didnt,

all i asked for was confirmation that they had an Absolute Assignment

and where the hell has the £497 refund went to because in the case of Cabot being owners

they are then an independant 3rd party

and the refund should have came to me

and as such i would sue Barclaycard for that amount plus interest

if they have given it to Cabot.

Or it might be the bit where i said if Cabot are not owners i will sue their butts off for the court action they have started.

(Couldnt help myself with having a wee dig at the court action for the amount of time they threatened me).

Or maybe they are having to trawl through their archives AGAIN or maybe they are looking for the information they dont have

like an Absolute Assignment with the correct account number on it, a Default Notice or the creme de la creme a valid CCA.

Either way, ive ruffled the feathers with my merry little dance and hope ive done enough to wave adios to Cabot.

Almost a month since my Lawyer wrote to theirs and its still all quiet on that score.

Thanks SFU,

i think you get to the stage where the fear goes and you fight back.

Besides, im too long in the tooth to take any nonsense out of them and i know with them offering to accept half the amount (on their terms

) that theyre clutching at straws.

Both Barclaycard and Cabot know i have a lawyer,

they just dont know how much im paying her

or if i would instruct her to sue them so i thought what the hell, go for it.

I feel like a MacDonalds advert each time i get a letter from Barclaycard- IM LOVIN IT.

Hi Delilha,i wish you all the luck in the world and hope you bring Cabot and Barclaycard to heel.I think they make the rules up as they go along and some of the Judges listen to them to much,instead of following the rules and regulations.

barns66

Hey SFU, do you think id be pushing my luck if i send the following to Barclaycard:

Dear Barclaycard,

Thank you for your recent letter, received 2/11/11, the contents of which have been noted.

I appreciate your diligence in attempting to resolve this matter as quickly as possible,

however, i am somewhat surprised that you expect this to take you another month to find out simply

who the legal owners are of the account.

Whilst i have no issue with your timescale, i will naturally be expecting the statutory 8% interest to be accruing on the £497 refund of "unfair charges"

until i receive your final response.

I look forward to receiving your reply by the 28th of November 2011.

What do you think? Am i pushing it too far?

Hi Barns, thank you.

Im trying to play them at their own game at the moment,

bombarding Barclaycard with letters and threats of legal action for either them or Cabot.

At the same time they will have the Ombudsman looking into my ppi claim.

The longer it takes them to deal with the "unfair charges" and the ppi,

the more interest is getting added so thats a bonus.

I want to be the biggest pain in the butt to them and i intend to keep nipping at their heels.

However, I cant afford to underestimate Cabot, if they win i will have to pay them

and my legal aid so even though i appear to have them by the short and curlies,

i cant bank on that as you know judges are as unpredicatble as the weather

and can be somewhat lacking knowledge.

I have the added extra of they are unlikely to get their legal fees paid even if they did win

and what i have to pay in legal aid is no where near what they would have been able claim.

Im confident but cautious and i think its the best way to be at the moment.

Hope you are ok after your last stint with them.

A "restriction" is much better than a CO

All the Best

Delilah

Letter sent hehe.

Got another form to fill in from FO for ppi claim so sent that off to them with proof from DPW

that i was in receipt of benefits at the time ppi was sold in 2004.

Patience is a virtue as they say.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, i have received a letter from my lawyer this morning.

Cabots lawyers have now sent the following:

Further to our letter of the XXXX, we now have further instructions from our clients.

They have not yet obtained the information they require from the original creditors.

In these circumstances they have decided not to proceed with the action for the time being

and propose that the action be dismissed with no expenses due to or by either party.

If this motion is acceptable, please let us know and we will prepare the appropriate joint motion

and joint minute for signature and lodging at court.

Great, fantastic!!!

but i do not like the "for the time being" bit.

My lawyer is on holiday until Monday and i will be telling her that i want the case dismissed completely with a guaranteed "no further action".

I suppose as it stands its a small victory for me and fellow Caggers

but im not happy until i know they are off my back for good even though

i know barclaycard do not have the info.

Regards All from a Smiling Delilah and thank you for all your help XXXXX :) :) :)

Excellent Delilah.

Don't concern yourself with their sour grapes it will be discontinued (you cant discontinue for the time being).

Well done!!!

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

PS you can still claim wasted costs.

Thank you Andy,

Its been hard work even with a lawyer but i live to fight another day.

Im a happy bunny and i will see what my lawyer suggests on Monday with regards to expenses and stuff.

Id love to go to Cabots offices and do a naked victory dance outside,

if that didnt put them off taking people to court i dont know what would.

I presume they can still report the debt on my credit files

but im not the least bit bothered about that today, today i celebrate.

Unfortunately yes they can , if you don't accept their offer of no costs (and you don't have to) they will still discontinue.

LiP WC are now set at at £18 per hour, but I'm sure your Sol will advise accordingly.

Post when you receive the NoD and then we can change your thread title to reflect.

Regards

Andy

Will do Andy and thanks again for all your help,advise and support. It was all greatly appreciated and to all Caggers a massive, massive THANK YOU.

PS. I will ask my lawyer about the costs, i think she will mention it 1st because she wasnt happy about the amount of legal aid i was having to pay. It was a fair whack but worth every penny to pay them a 5th of what Cabot were after before their legal costs if i hadnt fought the case.

Hi Again,

i have spoken to my lawyer this morning.

She advised me to take the deal and thinks it would be unlikely that Crapbot would attempt court action again.

Because she has only given advise and assistance i will not have to pay the legal aid board

and should get any money i have paid them refunded (thats a bonus)and therefore no point in trying to claim expenses.

all in all its cost me nothing apart from a few grey hairs.

I asked about when the clock starts for statute barred but she was unsure,

i read that because the case is being dismissed its as though nothing happened

and the clock reverts back to where it should be.

Im sure i read that on a court site but if anyone knows for sure please let me know.

My lawyer thinks they will write off the debt anyway but with Cabot who knows,

i think the fact that they had from April to get the info they needed makes me pretty certain they dont have it

so i suppose its a possibility.

Will post up the NoD when i get the copy from my lawyer. :) :) :)

My 2p's worth agree to accept and they can come back at a later date, as you are accepting it to be "for the time being" so they just say "because we couldn;t find the papers we all agreed to discontinue but it's okay we've found them now so we'll try again, of course the defendant has agreed to this here's the proof"

If you really are happy to agree to discontinuance with no costs then at least make sure its on your own terms and re-write their letter of offer removing the phrase "for the time being", tell them you are not happy with the wording of their letter but you would agree to the revised copy you send them.

As of 03/03/12 please do not under any circumstances wait for my further input or guidance on any current thread or defence of a court claim I might have been involved in on or through Cag.

Jasper1965

Thanks Jasper,

ive already told my lawyer i didnt like the "for the time being" part coz it does bother me

but she is pretty sure they wont come back and i know that they dont have the info because it has never existed.

If i go for Absolvitor its going to have me paying the Legal Aid which wasnt cheap and i think she was thinking about that

so i dont have to pay them.

I told her to do whatever she thought was best in the circumstances but i stressed that i didnt like their wording

so im sure she will try to get it changed if she can.

Cabot still have to pay their lawyers fees, its cost me nothing and theyd have to be pretty damn stupid

(which of course they are) to come after me again but if i dont have it writing there is nothing to say they wont.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3770 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks