• Tweets

• The digital bank has introduced three new plans - Extra, Perks and Max - replacing its existing Plus and Premium plans for new customers.View the full article
    • Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Faulty car bought from local dealer.

azza87
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Jeepstar, Citroen will hardly replace anything under their own 3 year warranty, and certainly won't conduct investegatory tests on vehicles which are nearly new.A bit off topic Heliosuk, but your last post is almost suggesting what many of us would like to see----all people involved in vehicle retailing be made to undergoe training / testing to ensure that they are of fit character / knowledge to be selling high value goods to the public!!!!!!!!! (That would close AC down overnight) LOL.In fairness to traders though, we see almost every week, posters on here that are buying pretty old cars and getting annoyed when they go wrong. It is also quite unbelievable that people buy cars at over 100,000 mls and expect them to be trouble free. By 9/10 yrs old and 100,000mls, a car is "Getting tired" at best, irrespective of care.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was dangerous then it wouldn't of passed an MOT then would it? As I say unless the manufacturers are willing to stand by their products for ten years, then whatever tests you may or may not have carried out (allegedly) are pointless.

YOU ARE talking nonsense as far as the eyes of the law are concerned. I'm confident the trader in question also is well aware of the law which is why the OP has been told to take it to court by him. He knows he WILL win.

If it was dangerous then it wouldn't of passed an MOT then would it? As I say unless the manufacturers are willing to stand by their products for ten years, then whatever tests you may or may not have carried out (allegedly) are pointless.

YOU ARE talking nonsense as far as the eyes of the law are concerned. I'm confident the trader in question also is well aware of the law which is why the OP has been told to take it to court by him. He knows he WILL win.

It appears that TS don't agree but of course, what would they know. :crazy:

Jeepstar, Citroen will hardly replace anything under their own 3 year warranty, and certainly won't conduct investegatory tests on vehicles which are nearly new.A bit off topic Heliosuk, but your last post is almost suggesting what many of us would like to see----all people involved in vehicle retailing be made to undergoe training / testing to ensure that they are of fit character / knowledge to be selling high value goods to the public!!!!!!!!! (That would close AC down overnight) LOL.In fairness to traders though, we see almost every week, posters on here that are buying pretty old cars and getting annoyed when they go wrong. It is also quite unbelievable that people buy cars at over 100,000 mls and expect them to be trouble free. By 9/10 yrs old and 100,000mls, a car is "Getting tired" at best, irrespective of care.

Well said scania, It is well known that towards the end of the manufacturers warranty period, by and large the only things still covered are the engine and box.

I also totally agree that the biggest complaints about cars are nearly ALWAYS about near end of life cars. This is why SOGA limits what the trader is expected to cover as the vehilce is older, cheaper or has covered more miles.

While you will always get the odd dodgy dealer, most (myself included) are pretty knowedgable about their product. And conversant with the relevant laws.

Sam while you may make insulting statements, bear in mind that trading standards are NOT the law and are actually only advising OP in his options. I'm confident they will have told him the best option would of been to try and come to an agreement without going to court. They will (or should) advise of the costs and difficulties involved in doing so. ie, taking his car off the road until the case, getting an inspection carried out by a recognised body and the fact he could well end up paying the costs of the trader.

We seem to have gone a bit off track on this one.

A few points that I would like to pick up on.

The trader allegedly said the noise could be the fans. But was open enough to invite the customer to inspect inside the engine bay prior to purchase. The hissing would of been significantly worse from there.

I don't agree that the volume of the vacuum leak would be significantly worse/higher by lifting up the bonnet. The engine will be idling so would be significantly reduced or not noticeable at all, he 'would' have known this. So no reliance can be placed on that.

Assuming the brakes were of sufficient standard at the time of sale then the trader has done nothing wrong.

But its not no brakes, its a leaky servo. Providing it is giving enough servo assistance to the braking system it has met the requirements of sale.

How would he know if the brakes met the required standard or not, unless he has a rolling road or put it through an MoT. To my mind he was aware of the servo leak as none of the fans on any car either under the bonnet or in the heater make a hissing sound and certainly not one that can be compare with a vacuum leak.

He may not have set out to deceive, but you can bet he was more aware of things than he let on, after all, this is his trade and you will know exactly what I mean by that.

I will say no more on the above posts, but ask aaza87 if he would summarise everything that has happened up to date in a chronological order ie 'date/problem/action taken', so we are up to date and can move forward. I ask this as the thread has got a bit muddled so getting hard to read through and keep track of.

its strange don't you think Conniff that the dealer didn't mention the advisory notice to the OP and the fact that it was missing from the documents supplied to the OP. In your opinion, do you think that the advisory notice (which mentions the servo leak), would be sufficient evidence to show that the fault was present at the point of sale to the OP thus making the seller responsible to rectify?

It would only have any bearing if the MOT test had been carried out by the trader involved & only if that test had just taken place. Irrespective if the fault was present or not at the point of sale Sam, the buyer was given the opportunity to inspect, did so and confirmed to himself the vehicle was to his satisfaction. Now as the servo unit is bolted onto the bulkhead. It would be fair to assume the noise would be louder from inside the engine bay.

To get any recourse he would have to prove the vehicle was non roadworthy when he bought it. Having an existing fault does not automatically mean it wasn't of merchantable quality at the time of sale as it was an old and cheap used car.

It would only have any bearing if the MOT test had been carried out by the trader involved & only if that test had just taken place. Irrespective if the fault was present or not at the point of sale Sam, the buyer was given the opportunity to inspect, did so and confirmed to himself the vehicle was to his satisfaction. Now as the servo unit is bolted onto the bulkhead. It would be fair to assume the noise would be louder from inside the engine bay.

To get any recourse he would have to prove the vehicle was non roadworthy when he bought it. Having an existing fault does not automatically mean it wasn't of merchantable quality at the time of sale as it was an old and cheap used car.

This is exactly the bit you don't get Jeepster. It was pointed out by the OP at the time of sale and a leaking servo automatically makes a car unroadworthy. Further, he has proof that there is a history of it being unroadworthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whether the seller knew it or not.

No, the fact is Jeepstar that the OP has proof in the advisory notice that the fault exisited prior to the point of sale. A fault does not be an 'unroadworthy' one if it is present at the point of sale and that is irrelevant of age and cost. If the seller does not make the fault known to the buyer in the vehicle's description, then the buyer can ask for it to be rectified at no cost within the first 6 months of ownership. In this case, the advisory notice confirms thst the servo was faulty at the point of sale and as Helio states; whether the seller knew it or not. I suspect that the seller knew it and as such, should pay for the repair in full.

To be honest, i don't know how many more times I have to drum this into you, but it will be the last.

This is exactly the bit you don't get Jeepster. It was pointed out by the OP at the time of sale and a leaking servo automatically makes a car unroadworthy. Further, he has proof that there is a history of it being unroadworthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whether the seller knew it or not.

Incorrect, if it had made the car unroadworthy then the MOT tester would of put it of failed it at the time of test not given an advisory.

Sam you obviously have some form of learning disability. An advisory 10 months ago has no bearing on the car being of merchantable quality at the time of sale. There is a massive difference between merchantable quality in a new and a 10 year old used car.

Ok let me spell it out to you AGAIN Jeepstar in the form of how the judge may ask in court> The advisory was issued for the leaking servo 10 months ago whith the MOT. The OP purchases the car on 8th April 2011 with the same defect which obviously has not been attended to. QUESTION 1: WAS THE DEFECT PRESENT ON 8TH APRIL 2011? ANSWER: YES QUESTION 2: IS THIS ITEM A 'DEFECT'? ANSWER : YES QUESTION 3; WHAT DOES THE SOGA SAY ABOUT USED CARS? ANSWER: DEFECTS WHICH OCCUR WITHIN THE FIRST 6 MONTHS OF OWNERSHIP ARE ASSUMED TO BE PRESENT AT THE POINT OF SALE UNLESS THE SELLER CAN PROVE OTHERWISE. QUESTION 4; DOES THE SOGA EXCLUDE CARS BECAUSE OF AGE OR MILEAGE? ANSWER: NO QUESTION 5: HAS THE OP PROOF THAT THE DEFECT WAS THERE AT THE POINT OF SALE? ANSWER: YES, THE ADVISORY NOTICE WHICH WAS ISSUED WITH THE LAST MOT. QUESTION 6: CAN THE SELLER PROVE THAT THE DEFECT WAS NOT THERE AT THE POINT OF SALE? ANSWER: HIGHLY UNLIKELY UNLESS HE CAN PROVE THAT THE SERVO WAS REPLACED SINCE THE ADVISORY NOTICE WAS ISSUED. QUESTION 7: DID THE SELLER MAKE THE OP AWARE OF THE ADVISORY NOTICE AND/OR THE DEFECT? ANSWER: NO

Now unfortunately my 7 year old son is at school at the moment so I can't check to see if he could understand the above, so i'll ask my fellow Caggers if they can form an opinion and perhaps help translate it for you into another way that I cannot think of.

Irrespective of it being an advisory on the last MoT, it is a fault. This may have been dismissed by the previous owner as 'not caused any problem yet', but that was his prerogative and one he thought he could live with.

As you should know Jeepstar, the servo is a critical part of the braking system and failure of braking assistance can be as dangerous as an hydraulic failure itself and could very easily lead to an otherwise avoidable accident when the driver presses on the pedal as normal only to find there is no response.

Is a leak in a servo normal? without a doubt it is not so is a fault. Was that fault pointed out to the buyer on purchase? No, (in fact it was covered up with some salesmans pitch about it being a fan).

The regulations state that a fault can only be complained about if it was neither pointed out to the buyer nor could have reasonably been expected to have been seen by the buyer, both of those apply here.

So forgetting the advisory completely, there is a fault with the car and it is the responsibility of the seller to make good that fault. It is up to the seller to show that the fault wasn't present at the time of sale, this is where the advisory will help him make up his mind as it shows that it was indeed present when he sold the car.

Just because it was an advisory 10 months ago, it doesn't mean that it has not deteriated over the past 10 months to now make the car a danger to the driver and other road users.

The retort that the hissing was a fan when the subject was mentioned says to me that the seller was aware of the true nature of the noise, if so, he has intentionally misled the buyer by taking advantage of the buyers lack of mechanical knowledge.

I am aware of Sailor Sam and Heliosuk qualifications, as they are of mine, and I fully respect their comments, as you should.

In normal circumstances I would say that it is laudable for someone to stick up for their taken profession as a used car seller, but in this case, you're bringing them deeper into disrepute. Car repairs and car sales are the general publics top 2 most mistrusted and complained about industries and you seem bent on keeping it that way.

Having read the thread a couple of times, I'm still not sure of where we are at the moment.

Has the servo been replaced?

Have letters or emails been sent with written replies denying any responsibility?

Out of interest, what were the MoT failures mentioned?

Edited by Conniff

Rightly or wrongly conniff, It is up to the court to decide if the fault stopped the car being of merchantable value. They use SOGA's outline of what could reasonably be expected given the age, miles and price.

The SOGA specifically states:

Satisfactory quality is defined as what a ‘reasonable person’ would regard as acceptable, and takes into account factors such as price paid, fitness for purpose specified, appearance and finish, freedom from minor blemishes, safety and durability

Now personally using what I have saw and learnt from other traders, in a sub £1k car unless the brakes weren't of roadworthy standard at the time of sale the trader has done no wrong. By and large a buyer of this age of car can only expect it to start go and stop. Which I assume it is doing. The judge at the court if it got that far, would ask what price the car was new eg £11k, look at it being now a £1k car and work on the assumption that it will be 90% worn out.

Yes the trader likely knew of the leak, hence why he advised the buyer to inspect the car. By doing this he mitigates his responsibility. This IS written down in law.

I'm sorry if you feel my discouraging the OP to pursue it is wrong. But do understand I am talking from a viewpoint of genuine knowledge. I do believe the OP will find himself further out of pocket pursuing this.

Again yes the motor trade gets a bad reputation at times. Often unfairly I think. In most of these cases it is those who have bought the cheapest cars. If you aren't sure of a car, get an inspection done. In the same way you wouldn't buy a house without a survey.

House is not a fair analogy is it! not buying from a trader who is supposed to be a to some extent knowlegable in what he is selling, most householders are not!

houses dont come with a guarantee ( unless new ) also a lot more money invoved generally.

But agree always best to check car out thoroughly before purchase, but that should not absolve trader for defects that occur or show up soon after purchase.

Thats why people buy from traders so that their is the supposed peace of mind that checks have been done so the car is safe and roadworthy and they have a come back if something goes wrong.

Incorrect, if it had made the car unroadworthy then the MOT tester would of put it of failed it at the time of test not given an advisory.QUOTE]

That's also the point. Section 5.2 of the catergorisation of failures clearly states with regards to a braking system servo "loss of air/vacuum" = immeadiate fail. i.e. unroadworthy.

Now it might be that in the testers opinion 10 months ago he/she wrongly gave the part the benefit of doubt but what he/she has highlighted is that "something isn't right with it" and needs attention. It should have been a failure in reality.

I agree helios in that if I had been the tester it would of failed. But as the MOT system is computerised and requires a categorisation as you have put above. If the system allows the tester to put 5.2 in the advisory print system it must be ok. Unless another tester were to inspect the vehicle and say it categorically is unroadworthy due to this fault, you cannot claim the car wasn't fit for purpose.

Sam, what qualifications in consumer law do you have? In particular law pertaining to used vehicle sales. I have both studied it at college and since tried to keep up to date with the current legislation as it related to my day to day living.

PS the court isn't concerned in its fitness for fish (porpoise).

Edited by Jeepstar

JESUS! I give up. Can't this person be moderated? His advice is FLAWED. THE CAR HAD A KNOWN DEFECT WHEN SOLD TO THE OP THUS IT WAS NOT FIT FOR THE POURPOSE!!!!!

True Sam, So true. I know I've had a few ding dongs on here over aspects of SOGA but at least I'll roll over and play dead when beaten!! I feel sorry for the OP, he must be pulling his hair out.

The good thing though is that we can proudly tell Jeepster's carers that we've done our bit for care in the community and he can go home now.

Sam, what qualifications in consumer law do you have? In particular law pertaining to used vehicle sales. I have both studied it at college and since tried to keep up to date with the current legislation as it related to my day to day living.

PS the court isn't concerned in its fitness for fish (porpoise).

If you are going to stoop to criticising spelling Jeepstar perhaps it might be an idea to check your own posts first for grammar and spelling. Nobody really cares provided the message gets across.

I will say no more on the above posts, but ask aaza87 if he would summarise everything that has happened up to date in a chronological order ie 'date/problem/action taken', so we are up to date and can move forward. I ask this as the thread has got a bit muddled so getting hard to read through and keep track of.

Having read the thread a couple of times, I'm still not sure of where we are at the moment.

Has the servo been replaced?

Have letters or emails been sent with written replies denying any responsibility?

Out of interest, what were the MoT failures mentioned?

After giving the dealer a call and being hung up on, I called CD who told me to send off a soga letter the the dealer.

I sent of the soga letter sailor sam kindly drafted up for me and received a response from the dealer a few days ago saying the following:

My company warranty is 30 day mechanical Breakdownlink3.gif only, it does not stretch to advisory items issued by an MOT station alien to ourselves issued some 10 months ago! Last July these 2 items were 'Advisory' as you alledge. May I also point out you bought an 11 year old car for less than a grand. You 3 seperate requests will not be met by myself and I am happy to attend court as intended in your letter.

Any further correspondence (except a court summons) will be ignored.

signaturelink3.gif/name

I've since spoken to CD again and have been advised by them to send off a lba to the dealer giving them a further 14 days to rectify the problem.

This letter was sent off on Saturday afternoon and would have probably arrived on the dealers doorstep either yesterday or this morning at the latest.

I will update again once (or if) I get a response. Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to help/advise me.

Jeepster, as I've said before I am ignoring your advice/comments and you are now starting to annoy those that are actually trying to help. I'm sure I speak for most people in this thread when I ask you to please stop posting in here and leave it to the professionals/people who know what they are talking about.

azza, Just because I am not giving you the response you would like to hear doesn't mean I'm wrong. You are more than welcome to ignore my (correct)interpretation of the law. You will find out the truth if you do decide to take it to court.

-- Edited -- by Conniff

Edited by Conniff