Transposed E7 meter readings

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4719 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I had a new electric meter installed (previous E7 meter was said to be old and needed replacing) about 3 years ago, with a new digital one. I was checking my bill the other day and found the meter display changes at night to presumably the Economy 7 meter and back to the Normal meter display in the morning. But on checking my bill I notice the readings are transposed - they are charging me the cheaper night rate for the day and the full rate for the night. They appear to have been doing this since installing the meter. As they replaced all our estate at the same time I wonder if everyone elses is the same or just mine.

I feel I should tell them about it but am worried they will then bill me for several thousands of pounds as I have not been paying the right amount for 3 years. I estimate it would make my bill over 3 times more expensive. However, if I leave it and they find out later I could owe them much more. Can they back charge me? As it is their mistake and they have already billed me would it be legal? If a shop sold me something at the wrong price I don't think they could legally chase you for the extra after the money has changed hands.

Any advice on the legal implications would be welcome.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to CAG.

From what you say, this is an error by the utility company or the people that installed the meter-not you therefore the billing code should come into play

http://www.energy-retail.org.uk/AbouttheCode.html

I think you would be liable for the previous 12 months undercharge but not for the other two years

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi Oscar

Depending on your split between day and night rate, you may infact be better off with having this corrected. As silver says however, at the most you will be liable for 12 months of underbilled consumption.

Does the bill show you how much you used on the night rate and how much you used on the day rate (even with the transposed calculations?)

Thanks for your replies. I found the bill from when the meter was fitted, both readings were zero, so it is the fault of the meter readers. Unfortunately, my supplier, Southern Electric does not seem to have signed up to the code, so I guess they could demand payment for all three years!

As most of my units used are day units (2:1) it will be a significant amount I will owe. Strange thing is my bills are not low compared to my inlaws, theirs are a fraction of mine.

Unfortunately, my supplier, Southern Electric does not seem to have signed up to the code, so I guess they could demand payment for all three years!

See here:

http://www.southern-electric.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CoreMarketingSites/Assets/Documents/CustomerCharterSEFeb2011.pdf

Particularly page 13

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Many thanks silverfox1961, I had looked on the Southern Electric web site but could not find anything. They still have a loophole to claim back more than 12 months if you have knowingly underpaid, I bet it will be a case of the customer having to prove they didn't know. I will contact them to sort it out. Thanks again for your help.

I am also with Southern Electric and have found their customer service to be the best. When I moved house last year I had a combined bill sent but it was for pre-payment meters so when I rang them for an explanation, they wrote the debt off. Only £50 but everything helps.

Thats good news, I moved from SWALEC after having consistant problems with them unable to calculate a bill correctly. I hope they are as understanding with me as they were with you. Appreciate all your help, I have been very worried about it but not so much now, 12 months back charge is not too bad.

I've just had a thought. On my meter, rate one is the night rate and rate two is the day rate. Is yours the same?

There is only one digital display which shows a either a small number 1 or 4 before the units used reading. The 1 is displayed at daytime and the 4 early in the moring when I checked (6.20am). On the meter case it says 1N and 4L. So I assume night units is 4 and L means Low rate, 1 and N must mean Normal rate. I think the meter reader assumed N meant Night.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?306215-Southern-customers-living-in-East-Anglia-or-North-London

Southern Electricity do seem to have a problem with Day/Night readings.. have a read of the link above.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for the link, interesting reading. Not sure what region I am in (Leicestershire), but our meter shows 1 and 4 for the different rates. There is no card but on the meter is says 1 = N and 4 = L.