The Cheek of them!!

martinwhite
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6594 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife called me to tell me about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.

She wrote a cheque for £66 which, at the time it was presented, was more than she had remaining to her overdraft limit.

Abbey paid it out, which took her over her overdraft limit, (for which a £20 charge was applied) then they decided to bounce the cheque, so paid back in the £66 taking her above the overdraft limit again! So she was charged £20 for the three micro-seconds it took the automated system to play its "will I won't I" game.

They then charged her £35 for bouncing the cheque. so a total of £55 for one event.

Talk about having your bloody cake and eating it!! GRRRRR!

To make matters worse (the original debt was settled by cash following the initial bounce)the bank then re-presented the cheque and the whole cycle was repeated. Another £55!! My wife phoned to find outwhat was happening, and she was told that the other bank would present the cheque up to 4 times!! This cycle would repeat unless she cancelled the cheque. (She wasn't told of this when she called them last Friday when the cheque first bounced).

The telephone banker was very pleasant apparently and said that she could waive up to £50 per year in charges and my wife's account hadn't had this yet this year, so instead of £110 she will only be charged £60 for bouncing a cheque. This must be a new record!!

My wife phoned me and said "I've had a wonderful experience with the bank, they've been ever so helpful."

I said that I suspected that there were on a charm offensive to prevent people becoming so irate that they might even sue them!

What a convoluted process, and subsequent set of explanations, for fleecing your wife of (I'm not sure how much...£55 or £110?)

If this was me, I would write and request a full explanation of the whole process from start to finish...with times (measured in seconds) as part of the request...wonder how they would deal with it, once they realise how absurd it is...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I can't wait...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6594 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks