##Employment : Is there a minimum number of days paid holiday?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4714 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was speaking to a friend over the weekend and he brought up the subject of holiday pay. He is a electrician and works for a small company (7 employees). He has been with the company for 6 years (under PAYE) but does not ever remember having a written contract. He told me that he only gets 14 days paid holiday (plus Bank Holidays), 4 of which must be taken over the Christmas period. He mentioned that when a colleague questioned the company boss about the why they were only paid for 14 days he was told if he didn't like it he could "lump it".

In law, is there a minimum number of days that the company are obliged to pay?

It doesn't need a written contract - it is a legal right that workers receive a minimum of 5.6 weeks holiday per year, which may include Bank Holidays. For a worker on a 5 day week, this equates to 28 days paid holiday including the normal Bank Holidays.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

It doesn't need a written contract - it is a legal right that workers receive a minimum of 5.6 weeks holiday per year, which may include Bank Holidays. For a worker on a 5 day week, this equates to 28 days paid holiday including the normal Bank Holidays.

A bit of a confusing way of putting it, SW. There's no statutory entitlement to Bank Holidays. The statutory holiday entitlement is simply 5.6 weeks.

An employer might give Bank Holidays in either the sense that they don't operate on Bank Holidays and therefore take a days holiday entitlement from the employee for this day off, or in that there is contractual provision above the 5.6 week statutory entitlement for Bank Holidays.

Thanks for clarifying that. I tried to qualify the Bank Holiday situation with the word 'may', but should have added more detail.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

By law you should also have a written employment contract stating your terms of employment and procedures including your general duties.

As over 5 employees should also employer should have a written health and safety policy, with named first aiders etc.

As you say he is an electrician and pressume works on site or out of office, he or employer needs to do risk assessments for every project.

If not this could be aplroblem if there is a claim, insurance would require to se one.

I only mention these H & S points as the employer seems to be a taking libertuies with regards to employment law so maybe in other areas too!