DVLA : Still registered as owner of a scrapped vehicle, help needed

WIDYCHI
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4690 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I never heard anything from DVLA about this untill i started getting letters from debt collectors saying that as i had not answered any of the previous letters sent to me ( which i never got) i am being fined £80 for having an unlicensed vehicle, the vehicle in question was sold for srap in early to mid 2009 and was SORN untill late 2009. I presume they did not recieve the reg doc's that was sent off at the time and i don't remember ever recieving any confermation from them at the time but then i don't ever remenber recieving any confermation for any of the vehicles that i have scraped in the past and i've owned a few old bangers in my time ( i used to pass them on too the banger racer boys) and never had any problems in the past.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i suffer from depression and it's not helping me being told i could end up in court.

Hi WIDYCHI

You are certainly not on your own. There is fantastic support for your position on CAG I have compiled much of the information if you cant find what you are happy with feel free to message me and I will email it to you. If you SENT the V5c then you are in a strong position and you do not need proof of posting, do not get bullied into paying up.

Best wishes in the struggle against the deviousness of the DVLA

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul

Thanks for the advice and offer of help, i wrote to them sometime ago and have not heard anything since, i will write or phone them soon to find out what's happening and i haven't heard anything from the debt collectors either, so fingers crossed.

Sorry it's been awhile before answering this message but this is the first time i've been back here since posting, i'm looking for advice on a different matter.

Thanks again

Not on your own at all.

1. Do not phone them. Only write.

2. Write a letter in which you tell them that you posted the V5c to them by first class post on [Date] thus completing your legal obligation. Get a proof of posting for this letter.

They will usually try to imply that you 'should' have phoned when you didn't get an acknowledgement letter, but you have no duty to do so at all. They will often take you to court, but as has been proven in many cases already, your only legal duty is to post the V5c which you did. And as far as the law is concerned, a letter posted by first class post is deemed to have been served upon the receipient (DVLA). If they got it great. If they didn't, tough luck on them. You did your bit so they cannot prosecute you for 'failing to notify' because you did notify them.

Hopefully that will help. Don'ty expand the letter at all, just keep it short and to the point. Whatever you do, be precise with the date of posting rather than 'sometime in February' or whatever. Don't use words like 'think' or 'am sure that'. Just stick to clear simple facts as in 2. above.