BBC One - Don't get done, Get Dom - Claim about the law and Debt Collectors.....??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, have got BBC One's "Don't Get Done, Get Dom" on in the background as I bash out some coursework....

He's dealing with a consumer credit debt on behalf of an elderly woman. Dom has just said, on national TV, that under UK Law it is illegal for a creditor to instruct debt collectors once there is a dispute on an account, until that dispute is resolved.

Now, whilst I must say that I would be ecstatic if the above were true. In fact, I wish it were.

However, I'm in somewhat of a mucking fuddle.... in that I'm not aware of anything in law that would prevent them from doing so. We are aware of all sorts of legal technicalities that can prevent these companies from getting a judgment - but I'm not aware of many at all that actually prevent them from instructing debt collectors.

I'd absolutely love to be digging around trying to find the source of the law as alleged by Dom on telly, but I have far far too much uni work to do and nowhere near enough time to use on this, at the moment.

However, if anyone else is aware of anything, I'd be most interested. Unfortunately I think this is another typical case of Aunty Beeb allowing things to be aired by people who are not in possession of all the facts. Yet the beeb broadcast things as fact.

Unfortunately if people just take what they hear on the telly and believe it's truth without knowing where it is actually said, in law, that is actually the case. We end up looking stupid and many many people assume that they won't be chased by collection agencies when, in reality, they will.

What Dom said may be true. But as a law student it ABSOLUTELY DOES MY NUT IN, when people go out and say "under the law.... XYZ" or, as Dom did, "under UK Law, XYZ" but don't actually say WHAT LAW!!!!! It makes people look stupid and unprepared when they try and say what the law is - but not where and what law!!

At the end of the day, I could say "It's illegal under UK Law to eat sausages with eggs for breakfast on Tuesdays" but unless I can say WHERE that information is contained, it serves absolutely no purpose!!!

Cheers

UF

P.S. Rant over, for the day :)

I am rarely around these parts any more. I only stop by when something has come to my attention that has sufficiently annoyed me so as to persuade me to awake from my nap and put in my two pence.

I am a final year law student; I am NOT an expert in law. All of my posts are just my opinion. I cannot be held responsible for any outcome whatsoever resulting from any person following the opinions or information contained within my posts. Always seek professional legal advice from a qualified lawyer.

no thats not a statute

but hey

these programs do a lot of good

nd i'd rather a mistake be made in the CONSUMERS favour

rather than some of the rubbish the DCA try and claim is LAW

when they fleece people over the phone!!

well done dom i say!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Do they have to go over the same thing again and again, 15 min programme stretched for an hour !!!

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert