car juddering and can smell diesel through vents??

odydog
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4735 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but here goes! for a few days my car has been juddering as if its losing power especially in 3rd gear,quite sluggish going up hills and starts to blow smoke from exhaust! Any ideas of what this could be? sometimes you can smell fuel coming through the vents too.

How do I determine that the smell of fuel, which would suggest a fuel leak? When I smell a fart, I assume someone has farted. It could be a fart impersonation machine concealed somewhere I didn't consider, and this could indeed be a pretend leak, but if I smell fuel when driving I assume the worst until proven otherwise. It is simple common sense and thought of safety.

how do i determine that the smell of fuel, which would suggest a fuel leak? When i smell a fart, i assume someone has farted. It could be a fart impersonation machine concealed somewhere i didn't consider, and this could indeed be a pretend leak, but if i smell fuel when driving i assume the worst until proven otherwise. It is simple common sense and thought of safety.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Excuse me. At what point did you earn the right to insult me?

You are of course absolutely correct in that the smell of diesel does not mean that there IS a leak. I stand corrected. But that does not excuse you being highly offensive in your reply. If able to read? This is a public forum that I enjoy participating in. I don't feel that you have any right to post such an offensive remark at me for simply trying to help the OP.

Ime no mechanic but the evidence does point to fuel starvation

smoke from the exhaust can show fuel is not being burnt so it may be some sort ignition fault

may i ask how many miles the vehicle has done

heres my tuppence worth,Ive worked on diesel engined vehicles for last 30 years,usually if you are smelling diesel fuel through the vents it means that either an injector or the pipework to/from the injector pump is loose or leaking diesel on the hot engine,thats why you get the smell of fuel,either way I would stop and get it looked at,last thing ya want is a lot of fuel over a hot engine,it will eventually go on fire!!

Excuse me. At what point did you earn the right to insult me? .

In your somewhat crass post No. 7.

And if you think that my post is highly offensive then you have a problem yourself let alone that of the OP's car.

GGJ's post asks the right questions as does scania's. There are two diesel systems in use at the moment which both have very different fault characteristics. A leak prior to the pump will be obvious as it will drip and leave witness marks. Post high pressure pump it's not so obvious and can be caused by a multiple of things not easily apparent to the eye.

As GGJ points out smoke is usually caused by fuel not being burnt efficiently which generally means either too much or not being burnt efficiently. It is unlikely to be fuel starvation more a case of injectors dripping due to wear.An alternative is that the metering control has gone wrong. This unburnt fuel has to go somewhere and as in the majority of cars these days is re circulated.

So there are a host of things to look at other than saying "Well, it has a fuel leak which should always be taken seriously"!

You stick to your student law and I'll stick to my professional automotive engineer of 30 years status.