style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4747 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Was shopping for pans today, opened 2 boxes to compare, repaced boxes but was distracted by kids, paid for a set with a credit card and came home. when i opened box i had repacked an extra pan.

If i return the pan can i be accused of theft? they have CCTV i think? as i repacked the box.

If i dont return the pan can they trace me as i paid by creditcard?

I was an accident but really worried.

If you return the pan then you can't be accused of theft. It was an honest mistake otherwise why would you be taking it back? You would probably be thanked for your honesty.

If you keep it, then it is most unlikely that you will hear any more about it. The store would have far too much CCTV to review as and when they find out that a pan is missing, and to then try and tie this in with a CC transaction would be far more trouble than it is worth. The store would not be able to trace you through CC details anyway - only the Police could do that, and if you think about it, how much manpower would be taken up in trying to trace you? It simply would never happen.

The only (extremely remote) possibility is that if you shop there regularly, and they did have time to review CCTV you might find that you are watched like a hawk next time you go there.

The fact that you seem to be worried by this seems to suggest that you feel extremely guilty.....if it were me then I would probably just walk back in with the pan in a bag, go to Customer Services and give it back. You cannot be held liable as the Theft Act requires that you intended to permanently deprive another of their property - clearly there was no intent or you wouldn't be here!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

As a ten year veteran of all levels of security I can offer my experienced opinion that no security firm will attempt to track something like this through a credit card transaction. Just the level of effort it would take to trace the correct customer, footage, details etc.

After that you have the legal implications of whether they would be able to acquire your details or whether this would present a serious breach of data protection and invasion of privacy.

Im guessing that they may be able to apply to the police to do so, but thats such a minute possibilty of anyone taking it seriously its almost laughable.

My gut instinct would be if you took it back and presented a reasonable argument of what happened, that it was a genuine mistake and you have no intention whatsoever of intentionally committing an offence then youll be absolutley fine.

Whether you actually want to take the time to take it back though is entirely up to you, but if I was the manager involved in such a circumstance, I certainly wouldnt be looking to take any action, and since the item was returned I highly doubt if theres any legal grounds for them to even try to do so if you do take it back.

The national retailer I work for has tracked people twice recently, via their bank card details. The most recent one was a female who stole 3 voile curtains, leaving the empty packages on the shelf. This was a simple matter to track, firstly via cctv, which showed her removing the items and then shoving them into her bag. She then selected a couple of small items, which she paid for using a card, and also got £10 cashback! The card details were tracked by head office, and passed on to police locally. The value of items stolen was £27.

that happening sounds like a very dodgy procedure. Theres no way in hell a private company should be able to track details like that, thats what police and courts and so are for.

I think any decent solicitor/barrister would have a field day with that in court.

If you return the pan then you can't be accused of theft. It was an honest mistake otherwise why would you be taking it back? You would probably be thanked for your honesty.

Unless it the Coop...............

Have a look here :-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?182434-Accused-and-so-embarrassed

and scare yourself silly. I would agree that this action is the one most right minded people would consider. If you feel particulaly guilty over it then give the pan to a charity shop.

Otherwise, enjoy your free pan.

Hammy :-)

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.