DLR Penalty notice issued to someone who gave my address but doesn't live here

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4745 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have rec'd two notifications from SERCO who own DLR that a penalty notice was issued to someone who doesn't live at my address and in fact has never lived at my address.

In fact the surname of the person does not exist anywhere.

I sent the letters back Not known at this address but am now receiving letters from a debt collection company saying they will be sending round enforcement officers etc.

I am not sure what to do now - it is very difficult to prove that someone who doesn't actually exist doesn't live at your address

Can someone advise me how to proceed with this as I really need to get these people off my back and I need to know what I am doing before I give them any of my personal details.

Many thanks

no dca has any legal powers

enforcement officers my foot...

they are not bailiffs, it has not gone to court

tell them to go away if they turn up.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

As dx advises, they are not bailiffs and have no enforcement powers at all, so if they do send round any doorsteppers, then just advise them that the person is unknown to you and ask them to leave.

Just keep returning any letters to sender.. bit of a pain to do, but you could always obtain a free proof of posting from the post office to prove (should you ever need to) that the letters were always returned unopened as return to sender.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I suggest you write to SERCO and advise them that you are not who they think you are, and you can prove it. You'll not get any doorstep visits, and the next step is usually to cancel the PF and prosecute under TfL's Byelaws for the offence of having no ticket. You need to write to them or phone them ideally, but even if it does go to Court, it'll be a wasted journey for all concerned.

Like the site team guys have said, this is a strictly civil matter & you should not let it worry you. Just make sure you send all the letters back marked 'Not Known-Return To Sender'.

Lasteph

Another thing you need to do is contact the British Transport Police. They are currently dealing with a case involving me of someone who regularly gives other peoples details when caught. They will normally get the address tagged to make sure that certain details only you will know are logged on file so that the RPO/RPI dealing with the person evading can sometimes catch them out.

The BTP Contact Number is 0800 40 50 40

Regards

Lasteph

Another thing you need to do is contact the British Transport Police. They are currently dealing with a case involving me of someone who regularly gives other peoples details when caught. They will normally get the address tagged to make sure that certain details only you will know are logged on file so that the RPO/RPI dealing with the person evading can sometimes catch them out.

The BTP Contact Number is 0800 40 50 40

Regards

How would the details that are tagged be accessible to you?

The rail company can also do this with IRCAS or whoever else deals with the address checks etc.

Which Debt Collection Agency are you receiving these letters from? Is it just another office at their processing unit?

DLR have recently changed much of their revenue set-up and are using a company called Carlyle Security for a lot of their activity in this area

As a matter of interest DLR have a permanent dedicated BTP station at their HQ Depot at Poplar and they may be able to assist

Edited by Old-CodJA