Maternity benefit/pay confusion.

sb118
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4645 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hopefully somebody here can help me, i'm somewhat confused by the paperwork/info regarding maternity payments.

Our current situation is that my wife works 16 hrs a week at a takeaway @ minimum wage. I am disabled and in receipt of medium level DLA. We have one child together (6 years old). We get HB, CTB (currently paying off £1500 from when i didn't fill out the benefit paperwork correctly a few years ago), WTC, CTC, DLA & my wife gets carers allowance (for putting up with me!)

We've looked at the info for when she goes on maternity leave, but we're not sure how it works out.

From what i can understand she won't get maternity pay from her employer as she is under the threshold for employers payments (16 hrs @ min wage seems to be about £3/week under the threshold), so we've mention of getting a form SMP1 signed by her employer, but in the pamphlet we have it says her average wage should be around £30, whereas she earns just under £100.

If she gets whatever this other benefit is, how does it effect the WTC & CTC amounts we recieve?

Many thanks.

ps, quite annoying that they've dropped some of the maternity grant stuff, we didn't know the £500 maternity & £200 healthy eating things existed last time around, this time around they've been stopped! argh!

Steve, xxxxx, UK

Barclays

DPA letter delivered by hand 04/04/06

Statement request confirmed & DPA payment refunded! 06/04/06

Hello sb, I dont understand the way they work these things out.. but know a person who does and will bring your thread to their attention.

:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The SMP1 is required for her to claim maternity allowance (MA) as nystagmite suggests. This form basically says that the employer can't pay smp and why - the earnings threshold for this year is £102 a week. She will need to get a maternity allowance claim form and send in her highest 13 weeks of pay slips within the stipulated time period. In order to claim MA she needs to be earning at least £30 a week, I believe, so she should be fine.

When calculating income for tax credits for the year, if the MA is less than £100 a week, then it should not be included as income. If this means that income declared will be less this tax year than last, then work out predicted income for the year and let HMRC know, who can base the tax credits award on this year rather than last - possibly meaning an increase in tax credits. If your wife is the only one working she will continue to get working tax credits while getting MA. If she doesn't return to work, WTC entitlement will then cease and HMRC will need to be notified.

Many thanks for the quick relies.

Been doing some more reading (link follows link follows link with this stuff!) and it looks like she'll lose the Carers Allowance but might be entitled to a Carer Premium....?

They couldn't make it straight forward could they!

Steve, xxxxx, UK

Barclays

Ahh, right, thanks.

Looks like we won't be too much worse off while she's off work then.

(wish they'd take the number of kids into account in a different way, my eldest lives here 4 days a week, but spends 4 nights with my ex, meaning she doesn't exist in this family on "official" paperwork, makes budgeting fun!)

Steve, xxxxx, UK

Barclays

• 3 months later...

Just to update this, she's just started her maternity leave, the maternity allowance is coming through @ £85.40/week.

BUT the carers allowance has effectively stopped due to the "overlapping benefit" rule, so we contacted the DWP to change over to the carers premium and it turns out we need to make an Income Support claim!

Haven't dealt with this many separate departments in years!

Steve, xxxxx, UK

Barclays

Oh hell yeah, we'll need to update the working tax credit people, which in turn will knock on to other stuff we get.

Good job everything is so straight forwards!

Steve, xxxxx, UK

Barclays

I know, hoping that the carers premium might be an extra variable in the equation though.

Instead of being £8-£9 a week down (maternity allowance 90%, etc), we're currently £63 a week down (no carers allowance), the budget is going to need some fine tuning!

Steve, xxxxx, UK

Barclays