Tax credit fraud so frightened

CDJ755
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3976 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there I have had my letter today and all it says is that my award is fine and does not need to be amended and the case is now closed?? I am hoping that is the end of it, I am now waiting for my award notice. I am now keeping ALL receipts :)

Indeed, I myself keeping notes when I phoned DWP.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi quick update.

I sent my letter of confession to tax credits back in April as it before the deadline of 16th May.

Nothing whatsoever changed (not even my payments!) until last week when they finally stopped paying me childcare.

But that is all that's happened! That was last Friday and I've heard nothing since - no letter nothing!

I know it's due any day now but the waiting is driving me

mad!

Anyone know how long before I should expect a letter.

x

Hi hope you dont mind me being nosey but I am at an early stage with mine I only just sent back my letter and reciepts as I have been over claiming for 6 months childcare at around 105 per week. I am so nervous it would be great to hear when you get a letter what % they take from you. I am so grateful for this site it has calmed all my worries of going to prision as it seems tax credits are more likely to just want money back. Do you know if you will be charged fine or anything yet? Anyway sorry for picking your brain just hate the not knowing part.

The percentage taken for repayment depends on the sum of tax credit that you receive, and in some cases they can stop the award completely. So what percentage one person pays will not necesserily reflect that of another person.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Nothing whatsoever changed (not even my payments!) until last week when they finally stopped paying me childcare.

But that is all that's happened! That was last Friday and I've heard nothing since - no letter nothing!

At least you know that it has been dealt :-) just out of curiosity; the amount that you received on Friday, was that the amount on your previous award minus the childcare or was it a completely different amount? If it was a completely different amount then I would guess that they've finalised your award and your new award notice will just reflect the overpayment. Reading previous threads they say that the most they normally take is between 10-25%, does that seem about right for the amount that you received?

The easiest way to find out how an overpayment will be recovered (and the percentage) is to look at your tax credit award notice, under 'part 2', entitled 'How we work out your tax credits'.

If that part shows no amount for 'reduction due to your income', they will take it back at a maximum of 10% of your ongoing payments.

If it shows an amount under 'reduction due to your income' but you are still getting more than the family element of Child Tax Credit (approximately £545 for the year), they will take it back at up to 25% of your ongoing payments.

If your income is high and you only get family element of Child Tax Credit (approximately £545 for the year) they can take anything up to 100% of your ongoing award, which means they can stop paying altogether.

Hope this is helpful.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I would just like to update my situation I have an earlier thread, I was absolutley terrified to ring and just sent a letter detailing as much as possible and I received my final Tax Credit Decision this morning, I was overpayed £7776 and they are taking a slight reduction now and a bigger reduction next year to prevent financial hardship. I am soo relieved!!

Lloyds Credit card - £6K - PPI and interest refunded - £1200 remain F&F sent & accepted £360

Lloyds Overdraft - £620 - charges & interest refunded - £188.10 remain F&F sent & accepted £56

Black Horse loan - £10K - £2879 remain - F&F sent and rejected - CCA sent 3/6/13 deadline

Orange - £128 - £39 remain although CRA file states £11

Orange - £132 - £51.06 remain although CRA file states £45

Next stage F&F's to be sent - a step closer to being debt free

Hi

Bet you are relieved....

Just wondering have you had any other letters from them and any of the information that you sent them back yet or is it just the award notice you have received?

I received my award notice and sent my information to them back in June - But still haven't received any of my paperwork back that I sent to them or a letter from the compliance officer = so I don't know whether they have finished their enquiry or not - I assume from receiving the award notice detailing the overpayment that they have???/

Glad you got yours sorted....

Hi, just wanted to let you know my story similar and took the courage today to ring them. I had sent all the paperwork in in June and got a call yesterday while I was out saying it was the Tax Credit Investigation Team wanting to speak to me. I know I was in trouble. I rang them this morning, I felt sick with worry. I asked what was wrong, they confirmed my childcare was overpaid by £20 per week but my income was wrong. They wanted me to check it out. When I looked through all my wage slips I had made a mistake. I rang them back saying I was really sorry and had made a terrible mistake. They changed my details while I was on the phone and a lovely man said dont worry you will receive a new award in 14 days. I asked what would happen to me as had made error and something I was really worried about. He said dont worry you wont be fined, nor be sent to jail. He said lots of people are getting worried and as long as we say and correct it, it will be fine............how relieved I felt! I am sorry pleased. I will pay it back and will be pleased to be told how much, just dont want worry of jail or court. Hope that helps people x

hi, its good to know that I am not the only one...! and glad that you have it all sorted, i just want it sorted too, the worry of not knowing anything is doing my head in, I have still not heard anything after 10 weeks since I renewed, although I would have thought I would have heard something, even if its just a letter saying its being investigated and they want more information from me..... !!!

If you know that they have your renewal then I wouldn't worry. I know 10 week is such a long time but I suppose we don't know how they are processing them i.e whether its in order or whether they have been split dependent on what we are claiming for.

I did claim childcare last year and have several changes to circumstances i.e my husband stopped work in November so childcare stopped, my wage also went down at that point and then in January we started claiming benefits as I lost my job. So maybe that is why it is taking so long as it's not straight forward? But then part of me thinks well i notified them of the changes at each and every point and my award was adjusted accordingly so i would have presumed it would be quite easy for them?!?!?!?!

Oh god knows lol!!

• 1 year later...
Hello Im knew to this board and im writing today as I am so very frightened.

Ive been extremely stupid and I know deserve everything thats coming to me but Im hoping someone can ease my worry as I cant carry on like this.

I am Disabled and my partner works full time. I have 3 children all aged under aged 7.

My partner became unemployed between March 2009 to Oct 2009 at which time he returned to full time work. I am eligible to claim tax credit for childcare due to my disability so I dont have to manage alone with the children when my partner is at work. So when he returned to work in Oct 2009 I made an estimated claim for childcare at £325 per week for the 3 children. So £240 was paid to me towards me childcare costs to initially to pay for childcare in the Half term week of October 2009. Well it turned out I didnt need the cildcare costs as my mum helped me with the children during that week and I didnt put them into childcare.

I then attempted to contact the HMRC to inform them that I didnt need or want childcare anymore as my Mum said she would help me during school Holidays etc. I tried telephoning and couldnt get through. It was permanently engaged. Everytime I called it said all lines were busy.

The money for childcare was still being paid into my bank and we were in a lot of financial diffuculty at this time. I had debts and Loans coming out of my ears. My partner returned to work at at a much less payrate that before and stupidly I stared to spend the Childcare costs on living expenses. I began to rely heavily on it.

So stupidly I hve been claming childcare costs since then and I have now received a letter from HMRC saying they have selected my claim for review and they would like me to send in details of my childcare but only from April 2010 - April 2011. They have asked for any official contract with my Chilcare Provider and any invoices or receipts showing actual payments i have made.Of course I dont have any of this as I havnt been using the money for childcare.

Oh I am so very frightened and dont know where to turn or what to do.

I just keep envisiging going to prison and my children being taken away form me which is more that I can bear to think about. I know I have been so stupid and I feel sick to my stomach to think I have done this to my family.

Although I am so petrified though half of me is so relieved that this has come to an end now as I have been so terrified to come clean or even to amend the childcare costs incase It brought my case to the forefront to be investigated.

I have literaly lived in fear of the postman waiting for this invesigation to happen. Please can someone give me some advice as to what you think will happen to me. I have every intention of ringing HMRC on Tuesday ater this Easter Bank Holiday and telling the the truth but I am so petrified that I am going to prison. Do you think they will just make me repay it back or do you think they will prosecute me?

Im making myself ill with worry but I knon Ive brought this all on myself. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Please help I'm in same situation now and do scared, I thought I had amended childcare last renewal as ended in feb 11, can u help with what u wrote in your letter ??

Please don't panic they will not take your children or put you in prison. My best advice to you and one I followed myself is to ring them and be entirely honest with them. They are actually very nice people. I am having to repay mine after sending in my earnings etc. I thoroughly regret lying to them but I can honestly say the relief I feel now after being honest and not worrying about the knock at the door is amazing. Call them.

What did u say and what did they do??

They will say thats fine you will here from us shortly, a letter will come with what you own and a telephone number to allow you to set up a payment plan to pay the money back

Hi Rachel, honestly just call the number on your letter and speak to someone, just tell them you have had someone staying with you for however long, you have claimed for nursery fees you shouldnt have honestly the lady will sort this out smartish and you just say what happens now, how do i pay this back etc. they will do the rest and then you just pay it up.