DVLA : road tax exploring, owner of car died

frankieg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4723 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friends father has died, there is to be an autopsy and so no death certificate for a while. He didn't leave a will ,or one she can find, so right now there's no executer. Problem is he had a car and the road tax expires end of this month. The car is parked on the street and he didn't have a garage or a driveway, nor does my friend. So what happens when the road tax expires? Can the car be seized? if she does a SORN she cant get it off the road and shes on benefits - -carer for her disabled daughter so cant afford to tax it or rent a garage. And as shes not the owner she cant tax or SORN it can she?

. And as shes not the owner she cant tax or SORN it can she?

I don't see why not. There is nothing to sign - you just need the appropriate paperwork.

To tax it she takes the Reminder (or old tax disc) to the Post Office with valid Insurance and MOT (if appropriate) documents. They are not concerned if the cash/cheque/credit card used for paying are in another name. It might be possible to do it online - I've not done it this way.

If you have the Registration Document or Tax/SORN reminder she should be able to SORN it online.

Thanks for the information but as the insurance holder has died there isn't any insurance on the car and i know when i tax mine there has to be insurance. and when you try on line you have to declare you are the car owner

What happened to the Certificate of Insurance? That is what the PO wants to see - just to check it covers the car and is in date, not the circumstances of the policyholder.

If someone returned it for refund they are acting as Personal Representartive for the Estate or that part of it (car) - and could be deemed responsible for that asset and liabilities arising therefrom.

If it was returned for refund, or it reached expiry date, it means there is/will be not only a car with no Tax/SORN but an uninsured car on the public road. A far more serious matter.

I would suggest the car gets removed from the road immediatly if there is no insurance.

Have you presented the Tax/SORN dilemma to the DVLA?