• Tweets

• In that case I don't think you'd have any grounds for a claim against the receiver, short of anything actually criminal. The receiver was appointed by the lender so any claim you make should be aginst them. How much equity do you reckon there was when they took possession? Realistic value less outstanding balance (including arrears).  This messing around makes me wonder even more if the property was wildly over valued. Normally a lender would sell and not really care if they got the best price so long as they covered the balance plus their costs. 
    • Hey @lookinforinfo I'm not sure, I don't believe he told them he's the driver. He must have selected an option saying that he's appealing on behalf of the driver or something of the sort. In more news, however, these wannabe thugs are back at it again. Honestly, what a joke. In the letter they sent before this it said they had made "2 attempts" and in this letter they said "4 attempts", I wonder what happened to the "3rd attempt" lol.  WhatsApp Image 2024-04-18 at 14.06.07_44abc9c8.pdf
    • Hi all, I purchased a car in January from Big Motoring World Leeds. At the time of sale I was shown a tab on the salespersons computer marked 'service history' and I was able to take comfort knowing that the car had been serviced on 3 occasions as the date, mileage and company was there on screen. Being a 3 and a bit year old car that, in my mind, constituted full service history 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, collected the car a week later. Once home I settled down to through the book pack etc. Opened the service history booklet and it was completely blank. In addition there were no invoices detailing that any services had been done. I duly contacted BMW and asked them to supply me with proof of service history. They responded saying that on their 'vehicle documentation checklist' I had ticked and then signed to the fact that I had seen the service history and that I was happy with it. I dug out this checklist and what it actually states is 'seen service history online' which I had in the showroom. BMW seem to think that this satisfies their responsibility in providing service history. The reality is that I don't have any proof that the vehicle has ever been serviced! For my own peace of mind I ended up paying for a service that satisfied the manufacturers maintenance schedule to the tune of £330. I even complained to the finance company that the vehicle contravenes the Sale of Goods act 2015 as l, in effect, ot is not as described. Amazingly they weren't interested and instead I just got an email stating that it's not illegal to sell a vehicle without service history and that servicing costs were part and parcel of vehicle ownership. I've since complained to the ombudsman and am awaiting to see if they can help. I have no issue with the car but the treatment and customer service has been the worst I've ever experienced. I don't really know what to do next as I really do feel aggrieved that I've had to pay to service a car that should have already been serviced. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? 🙏
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Applying for a log book - weird letter sent out by DVLA

Sarah-Beth
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4730 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm in a bit of a pickle trying to get a log book for my car - which I need to tax it and the tax runs out at the end of the month! :|

I filled in the form to request a new log book and I've been waiting about 3 weeks for it to come, then yesterday I got this really weird letter from the DVLA asking me to tell them a bunch of details. It's like a simple looking letter with blank spaces asking for the registration number, the VIN number, the make/model and some other stuff.

I sent it away immediately, but I just don't understand what the point in this letter is and I was wondering if anyone knows. All of these details (registration number, VIN, make/model) were on the original form I sent in (V62). In fact the only thing I can see that wasn't on it is a question asking "do you still have the vehicle?" (well, duh, of course I do otherwise why would I be sending in the form - you may as well ask if I'm a human being) and another question asking for the address of the person who sold me the car (but they would already have these details on the DVLA computer - the whole reason I'm sending the form in is to get the details changed from the old seller into my name).

Everything else was on the V62 so what's the point in the letter? The thing is it's taken 3 weeks for them to send that out so now I'm worried that I now have to wait ANOTHER 4 weeks for the form to be processed (they told me that it takes 4 weeks for the V62 to be processed so I was hoping to have it done by next week). Does anyone know why they send this letter out? I would ask them but I think they're closed for the bank holiday until Tuesday.

Starting to panic.

The other thing which I maybe thought is that this is something they send out after they've processed the V62 (they want to confirm the situation before printing off the new log book). Is that likely? Surely they can't have sat about for three weeks without doing anything and then just sent me this letter.

If you apply for a V5 using form V62, DVLA will write to the previous regeistered keeper to inform them that someone has applied to register the car. This is where the previous keeper will usually either write back and say they know, because they sent in the V5c, they don't know because the car is still on tehir driveway or they may do nothing at all. If there is any dispute or discrepancy, DVLA will write to you for more information.

So there is probably some discrepancy then?

I can't believe how much hassle it is to get registration details changed. Surely instead of doing this nonsense it would be a better idea to just have a way to prove that you own the car, not to spend 4 weeks asking the person who used to own the car whether they still own it.

So, so infuriating if I can't drive my car because of this. It basically has to be sorted out this week (two days of which are bank holidays) or my life is completely on hold - I literally can't get to work without a car. All so the DVLA can type a different address into a computer. :-x

I can't believe how much hassle it is to get registration details changed. Surely instead of doing this nonsense it would be a better idea to just have a way to prove that you own the car, not to spend 4 weeks asking the person who used to own the car whether they still own it.

1) How?

2) How would you manage with lease cars/hire cars/etc where the RK is not the owner

3) Ownership has absolutely nothing to do with registration or the DVLA

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that the seller hasn't yet notified DVLA that he has sold the vehicle, which is why it is taking so long.

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

How long have you owned the car for?
I got it in January. I thought I would be able to use the green slip, but I was told it had expired when I went to do it.

1) How?

2) How would you manage with lease cars/hire cars/etc where the RK is not the owner

3) Ownership has absolutely nothing to do with registration or the DVLA

I have no answers, it was just a frustrated suggestion. There are other suggestions - maybe not having the green slip expire after 6 weeks or two months, or whatever it is. Or I read a suggestion submitted to the better regulation executive (which I can't link to on this forum as I don't have enough posts) about issuing a provisional tax disc to cover the period taken to process the application. There are no doubt many other suggestions.

The first one would have solved my problem. Would you accept that a system that can essentially force drivers off the road due to an administrative procedure is undesirable? I'd say that's the absolute last resort and should be avoided at all costs given the disruption it can have to people's lives.

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing that the seller hasn't yet notified DVLA that he has sold the vehicle, which is why it is taking so long.

I hope it is just that. From reading some of the other stuff on the internet about this it seems that there can be problems that can take up to 3 months. Four weeks seems to be the best case scenario.

Well, got through to someone on the phone and they told me that they sent the letter out because "the date you indicated as the purchase date on the V62 is the same date as we have for the previous keeper's purchase date".

Nobody could explain why that might be the case, but the only thing I can think of is that the garage I bought the car from did in fact notify the DVLA of the sale and for some reason they've put the wrong details in so it's in somebody else's name. I don't know how else this could happen - how would you end up with somebody else registering your car on exactly the same date that you bought it?

At any rate, they haven't received the letter back yet and even though I'm simply confirming details that I originally wrote on the V62 you seemingly can't do that over the phone so they have to wait for the letter before changing anything. In short, absolutely no chance of it being sorted by next week, get the car on to private land by Sunday, fill out a SORN or we'll fine you, thank you very much and have a nice day.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you sorn it if you are not yet the registered keeper? DVLA want it all ways ! I do understand though that it is important for this matter to be sorted carefully and make sure the correct person has the V5. Unlikely that theres any dispute in your case but occasionally there can be.

Best of luck PK

I had one of these letter on my current car when I brought it. I don't know why they did it but after a short delay they sent the log book as normal. I guess they were just double checking something.