Car Clamped, Total Parking - Star City, Birmingham

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3702 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was clamped last night at Star City, Birmingham as I was parked at right angles in a parking bay instead of the normal way, as this was the only 'space'in the full car park that I was able to fit my car.

My car was not sticking out in any driving area, dangerous or any obstruction otherwise. And I feel the clamp and the £125 release fee was an absolute joke.

I've attached photos of my car, the receipt, the clamp sign and a satellite view of the parking bays to indicate my parking (mine in black). Also, is it ambigious whether the triangular marked space that my car is in, is intended for parking or not? No yellow lines etc. I honestly thought I was doing nothing wrong.

Be really, really grateful if people with the know-how/experience could have a look and let me know their thoughts on grounds for appeal...

So angry! Going on holiday on Wednesday and this is exactly not what I needed....

Thanks so much for any help and advice offered.

JK

IMAG0139.jpg

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

parking.jpg

IMAG0135.jpg

Sorry to say I think in this case looking at the sign it clearly states that you must be parked in designated area and within white lines unfortunately from your pictures it clearly shows you aren't parked in white lines or designated area. You could try and ask for a reduction in fine stating that it was only available spot but I doubt you would get far sorry

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

I presume it's already been paid, so you'd be asking for a refund, which seems very unlikely. The sign spells it out - you were parked incorrectly by their definition. I guess the only route open would be a legal challenge, but someone will have to find some grounds for that. I don't see any.

Check on the SIA website (Google it) that the clamper's licence is valid.

Also I don't see his/her name on that receipt although the link is tiny. Clamper's sig is not enough.

You haven't said whether you saw the signs, how many signs, how clear, were they illuminated at night?

If there is any scope there at all then you won't be 'appealing' as that will get you nowhere. If you paid by debit/credit card then there may be scope for a chargeback if you can show reason for it, but normally Banks just refuse.

So your option would then be to sue the clamper and whoever contracted them (both must be named in a small-claim as jointly and severally liable). There are successful cases on here I expect and also on pepipoo forums, to show you what to do.

Couldn't agree more with the clamping ban - hard to believe that this practice is legitimate in England.

Thanks for the advice, Coupon - I've checked on the website and it appears to be a valid number, but you're right, there is no name on the receipt, just a signature. Does this give me any anything more to go on then, if I choose to sue?

It was night, but I think the signs were illuminated. To be honest, it's not something I had paid particular attention to at the time - it's a place I go to quite regularly, so I was perhaps complacent when I parked where I did. Although I still cannot believe that it justified being clamped.

Thanks,

Jk

• 9 months later...
Hi,

I was clamped last night at Star City, Birmingham as I was parked at right angles in a parking bay instead of the normal way, as this was the only 'space'in the full car park that I was able to fit my car.

My car was not sticking out in any driving area, dangerous or any obstruction otherwise. And I feel the clamp and the £125 release fee was an absolute joke.

I've attached photos of my car, the receipt, the clamp sign and a satellite view of the parking bays to indicate my parking (mine in black). Also, is it ambigious whether the triangular marked space that my car is in, is intended for parking or not? No yellow lines etc. I honestly thought I was doing nothing wrong.

Be really, really grateful if people with the know-how/experience could have a look and let me know their thoughts on grounds for appeal...

So angry! Going on holiday on Wednesday and this is exactly not what I needed....

JK

hi i have been clamped on 31-01-12 at 19.15 in the star city when i went there with my daughter and parked for five minutes in the drop off area went upstairs for 5 minutes and he clamped me straightway. i like to know if you tell me how the person looks like as the one who clamped my car used to work in jewellery quarter with the other gang who has been sent to prison last year.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

JK

hi i have been clamped on 31-01-12 at 19.15 in the star city when i went there with my daughter and parked for five minutes in the drop off area went upstairs for 5 minutes and he clamped me straightway. i like to know if you tell me how the person looks like as the one who clamped my car used to work in jewellery quarter with the other gang who has been sent to prison last year.

Would you be able to share the description of the person(s) who clamped your vehicle, as they did the same to me last month (Feb 12), and they failed to provide their name, so I have no way of knowing if the licence number actually belongs to that individual, it could be anybodies!! I have asked for this info and they have failed to provide it, I am planning on taking them to the small claims court to get the money back on the grounds that firstly the signs were not seen, therefore no contract actually existed and then their clear breaches of the BPA code of conduct

• dx100uk changed the title to Car Clamped, Total Parking - Star City, Birmingham