Recording telephone conversations

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3685 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Do lenders *by law* have to record telephone conversations?

I have spoke to my lender and after 120 phone calls they cannot supply 1 recording.

I even (to highlite the issue) made a call, noted who I spoke to; the date and time then requested this recording.

The lender claimed they "couldn't find it on their system".

The conversations are very important; and with no recording supposedly available; the lender can deny everything that wasn't put in writing.

What's the law on this?; or at least the code of conduct that UK lenders and meant to follow.

Cheers

There is no law which says they must record calls, but there are governing what they must do if they do record. They must inform you that they are recording calls.

Debt Collectors , or any other body who regularly lie and deceive on the phone would be very unlikely to either record calls, nor furnish them to third parties.

If you are interested in having recordings of your calls, record them yourself using Trucall or something similar

Hope this helps

If you feel that this site has helped you in any way please leave a donation if you can afford to do so.

If you feel that have been helpful please feel free to tip the scales.

The large print giveth, but the small print taketh away. ~Tom Waits, Small Change

Please note: i am not a qualified lawyer, any advice is offered in good faith and is based on my own and others experiences and a penchant for research and a desire to help others to empower themselves

Thanks,

On that 1 particular call though; I asked (as I am told on MOST calls) that they are being recorded.

Yet they can't supply one recording!!. Luckily I have recorded some (only about 4 hours worth!!).

I'm not sure how to use this information yet though. They may deny something; have no recording and yet I can supply a recording which would condemn then.

Cheers

I have used a recording of a phone call from a creditor in court, the judge ordered the recording played when the creditor disagreed with my transcript of the call.

dpick

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640

Thanks dpick,

That's good to know. I did think a judge would probably want to hear anything which constitutes evidence; especially when the lender can't supply 1 recording out of 120!! :-)

Just wish I had recorded all the conversations; still, something is better than nothing.

Cheers, appreciated