style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4732 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

We have a bit of unusual situation here and dont know how to deal with it properly and will appreciate your expert opinions and comments in this regard.

My girlfriend and i moved to an Asian country almost two years ago for work. We were going through some financial hardships in UK and my girlfriend sought advice from "clear you debt" [problem] company who has run away with over 4000GBP since without solving the matter. Anyway, since we have ben overseas we have successfully negotiated full and final settlement with MBNA (RMA) and Egg (ARC Europe Ltd).

We have one more credit card debt with barclaycard which we were hoping to negotiate in next few months. The reason we have them at the end was because every now and then barclaycard will take out £170-200 from her Barclays account. The total debt is around £7700 and a default has already ben placed in her credit file since early 2010. YEsterday "Apex Credit Management" people called at her work place, i dont know how did they trace her number down as we live in an Asian country now and left her colleague a message to contact them. We contacted them twice yesterday. They took our details and promised to call us back within couple of minutes. We however, did not receive any calls from them to which i dont understand the reason. Can someone please let me know what would be the right course of action in this situation. Should i approach barclaycard directly or send them a full and final settlement offer or wait to hear back from Apex. Also if someone has dealt with them before regarding full and final settlement? How understanding and co-operative they are in this regard?

Thanks in Advance,

Bowden

You would be better to wait for someone to contact you first. If the a/c has been sold you will have a higher chance of being able to make a reduced settlement because it would have been sold for only a fraction of it's value.

Your UK credit files have no relevance in any other country.

Hi cerberusalert

Thanks for the reply and kind advice. Thats what i am planning to do now but i dont want them to start calling my wife's work here now that they have got her number which i am still not sure how did they get hold of that. Do you think it'll be a wise thing to do to send them settlement offer by email. I did this with RMA and ARC and both of them were settled for 40% which was not a bad achievement i believe. I know credit files hold no importance in other counries but we are planning to come back in nex few years and dont want to risk our jobs when we return. This way atleast all the debts will be settled partially with no balance outstanding and no more threatening calls or letters from DRCs.

Defaults only remain on a credit file for six years & then they drop off & cannot be registered again.

When you make full & final offers it has to be done very carefully & in writing because people have found that it has come back and bitten them in the past because companies have returned at a later date claiming the remaining balance.

Well we may come back before six years so thats why taking these precautionary measurements otherwise i was in no rush to pay them :)

I have it all in writing from them. Latest ealing with ARC was by email but i do have oficial email from them stating that they wont pursue remainder of the balance after full and final settlement and balance will be zero. I spoke to them yestrday and they have assured me that they have sent the letter at my overseas address as well after they received the payment last week. Mind you i learn all this at this forum and i cant thank enough you guys for putting such a useful information for thousand of people like us.

Now coming back to APex, they just called at my gf's work although she did give them my numbers after speaking to them twice yesterday and told hem that she was authorizing me to deal with the matter but they did not ring me back despite assuring her twice that they were going to call us back and today they called at work instead. These must be their tactics to harass us here but i am wondering if its legal for them to contact us this way outside UK???

If they have been given an alternative contact they are obliged to use it, by continuing to harass your g/f particularly at work they are in breach of OFT guidelines and you should make a complaint to Trading Standards in Stratford upon Avon;

Stratford-on-Avon District Council

Elizabeth House,

Church Street,

Stratford-upon-Avon,

Warwickshire,

CV37 6HX

E: [email protected]

Tel: 01789 267 575

Fax: 01789 260 007

Minicom: 01789 260 747