Unicom, more like unicon!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4732 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been looking through previous threads and it seems like I have a fairly common problem, but noone seems to have resolved it before.

Last July we tried to switch our landline from unicom to a new supplier. Unicom informed us that we'd have to pay a termination fee to do this as our contract didn't expire until September (2010). We waited. Last month a new deal came up and we decided to take it, now having completed our three year contract. Oh no! It was a rolling contract (not that we knew that) so unicom pop up again with their termination fee, which we were initially told on the phone would be around £200, based on 30%of what they could expect us to pay if we saw the contract out. Today the termination invoice came through, £531!!! Our monthly average bill is £22 and we have 29 months of a three year contract left. That's a total potential income for them of £659.80. How is £531 30% of that?

How do I fight this? If they apply for the fee from my bank it will be refused and I will get bank charges. I don't want a default on my credit rating but how do I stop them filing one.

Please help. I really don't know what to do.

Follow their complaints procedure.

here

Now, the final stage of their complaints procedure is to go to Otelo. If a complaint goes this far, it will cost them money for the "independent alternative dispute resolution scheme" (Otelo) to look at the complaint. However, as Otelo is funded by the telecoms industry it is no surprise that most of the time they side with the telecoms company, so weigh this up against taking the company to small claims court as an alternative.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks.

I've already downloaded their complaints procedure and the Otelo info from their website. I'm expecting another phone call from them today giving details of how they arrived at the £531 bill. If they do not satisfactorily answer my questions I will be following their complaints procedure straight away.

Regarding the termination fee though, if I cancel the DD at my end what position does this legally put me in regarding the payment?

If they report on your credit file, they will show "late payments" for every month you are late and they may report a default. This is why I would normally suggest paying up and then claiming it back thrugh the courts (keeps your credit file clean and out of danger!).

Unfortunatly, telecoms are not regulated as much as financial institutions so they "get away" with a lot more :(

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar