DVLA, New owner and tax refund

Fatty Jr
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4757 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have read quite a few threads on this forum for quite a few years now and I have finally decided to join and tell you a tale of my problems with the DVLA

I purchased a vehicle last year from a guy in london. Nothing new there. He was in a permit only parking area of london and vehicles with permits are required to be taxed, tested and insured prior to permit being issued.

I went down, Filled out the paperwork for the V5 and he sent it off. The tax disc was missing but I had checked prior to going down that the vehicle was indeed taxed. Anyways, I trailered the vehicle back to my property and it's been off the road since october. Couldn't see the sense in paying £25 for a replacement tax disc as I didn't plan to use the vehicle straight away. New V5 appeared and filed away with others I have.

The winter of discontent came when we had all the snow, Ice and crappy xmas and I receive a letter from the DVLA informing me I had failed to declare sorn or re-tax the vehicle and the associated fine . I couldn't contact them over the xmas period due to their holidays etc so left it till the new year. Made contact with DVLA informed them I couldn't sorn the vehicle as the vehicle is STILL TAXED and was still showing taxed on the taxdisc.gov.uk website. I was now awaiting the renewal form/sorn notice so that I can sorn it. This never came so I tried to do this with the V5 I received but not allowed online or at the post office as the vehicle still showed TAXED supposedly.

The DVLA still pressed for the fine to be paid due to not declaring sorn. I asked again " how can I sorn if a vehicle is still taxed" No response.

So few weeks go by and I finally get a response. The DVLA had issued a refund to the previous owner of the vehicle for the remainder of the road tax and not informed me of the refund. They termed it that the previous owner is entitled to a refund of the road tax EVEN if they have sold the vehicle. When you purchase a vehicle, you are not automatically entitled to the road tax unless the previous owner gives it you.

So not a problem I thought. Asked the DVLA " How am I supposed to know that the DVLA has issued a refund for the road tax on the vehicle and I, as the new owner are required to declare sorn or re-tax IF the DVLA do not inform me?" Again No response until they increased the fine

I have had enough of the DVLA by this time especially when you can't speak to anyone in power, so I contacted my local labour MP Glorida De piero and they are chasing them. They have already replied to her but basically gave her the legal standing as to why I am being fined. They have not addressed my main question which is above.

Today, I have received a letter from intercred stating I have to pay £80 for the DVLA fine. I have emailed them and told them the fine is in dispute and you can't go any further UNTIL the dispute is resolved and also the MP is involved . What makes you laugh is they state on the letter, " you have ignored all previous letters" yet the DVLA have been contacted by myself and the MP.

Also did you know, the MP's have a folder in their offices that contains direct telephone numbers and address for all government departments and agencies.

Do you have a receipt describing what you bought or a copy of the advert that says it has tax? If so then the tax should have passed on to you and the previous owner should not have cashed it in.

Having said that it's highly questionable behaviour and one that most of us wouldn't even consider when buying a car. So your question about the validity of the previous owner getting a refund without you knowing is reasonable. But then you didn't have the tax disc and didn't check or apply for a duplicate, which legally is your responsibility.

Unfortunately the DVLA aren't known for their understanding or their application of logic. So in your shoes my course would be as you have done. Kick up as much of a stink as you can. Demonstrate you acted reasonably. Get your MP to get involved, make sure you ask to go through the DVLA independent complaints process and basically exhaust all their options until they must go to court.

It's like this, If you don't stand up and be counted, every government agency will take the ****.

This whole sorn thing has many holes in it. People I know have been hit by sorn/re-tax forms every year, Some have them every other year, Some have had none. Some have been fined, some haven't

I purchased a hijet van last year (similar time to the fox) and the seller gave me the whole v5c. I took it to my local DVLA office to apply to the one in my name and wanted to know what to do since the previous seller began to convert it to electrical power and wrote this on the v5c. I told them I wasn't doing this so they issued a new v5 in my name without the electrical part on. They have since fined the previous owner since I took the V5c to the office. They say he failed to inform them of the change when basicly I gave them the whole old v5c.

They say he failed to inform them of the change when basicly I gave them the whole old v5c.

I expect they look out for stuff like this just to chase a 'penalty' payment and make some dosh.

I sent in my V5C/3 when I sold my car which they must have lost or ignored, so I expect that when the new owners registered it someone at the DVLA saw they hadn't officially received my form and started the ball rolling with proceedings against me.